Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support legislation allowing for someone to donate their body for human consumption purpos
Yes, I would support legalized cannibalism - through a regulated donor/recipient program. 17 21.52%
No, I would not support legalized cannibalism. 62 78.48%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 05:52 AM

876 posts, read 708,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
What about the people who started out with nothing and earned their money until they became relatively wealthy? They most certainly weren't raised on "nuthin but the best".

5 Super-Rich Americans Who Started Out Super-Poor | InvestingAnswers

Oh. You know liberals don't believe that rich people earned their money and they don't deserve it. They are all evil in their eyes and all the poor people are virtuous and worthy of taking the rich man's money for their own benefit.

I hope America would never allow legalization of eating humans. I don't think this country has gone that crazy yet. But, if the economy keeps going down hill like it is, then maybe we will see it more. Think about how we having been hearing about people eating other's faces. Not for me. "Four legs good, two legs baaaad".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 05:59 AM

429 posts, read 654,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
Oh. You know liberals don't believe that rich people earned their money and they don't deserve it. They are all evil in their eyes and all the poor people are virtuous and worthy of taking the rich man's money for their own benefit.

I hope America would never allow legalization of eating humans. I don't think this country has gone that crazy yet. But, if the economy keeps going down hill like it is, then maybe we will see it more. Think about how we having been hearing about people eating other's faces. Not for me. "Four legs good, two legs baaaad".
I don't get all riled up in the black and white us vs them game. One where you are either a government leaching liberal or a holy hard working republican. It is all silly and just stupid.

However, I will say that majority of Rich people have come from rich families where they were given far more easy opportunity than others. That isn't an opinion, it is a fact.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:51 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
I recently heard an argument presented in favor of legalizing cannibalism. The advocate cited world hunger statistics and the lack of meat in the diets of starving individuals. The proposed solution was to allow for donation of ones body after death for the purpose of being used as food - an interesting variation on the organ donor movement.

What do you think? Would you support legislation that allowed for a person to freely give their remains for human consumption uses? Would you resort to cannibalism if you were starving? And if you object morally to the concept - what is your source of moral truth?
There are too many diseases and genetic disorders that will be propagated by cannibalism.

Bovine spongiform encephalopathy is one disorder that comes from cows eating cows, the same disease is found in human populations that practice cannibalism.

It will never be allowed to happen.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:26 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Yeah, doesn't sound like a great idea.
Quote:
What is Kuru?

Kuru is a rare and fatal brain disorder that occurred at epidemic levels during the 1950s-60s among the Fore people in the highlands of New Guinea. The disease was the result of the practice of ritualistic cannibalism among the Fore, in which relatives prepared and consumed the tissues (including brain) of deceased family members. Brain tissue from individuals with kuru was highly infectious, and the disease was transmitted either through eating or by contact with open sores or wounds. Government discouragement of the practice of cannibalism led to a continuing decline in the disease, which has now mostly disappeared. Kuru belongs to a class of infectious diseases called transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs), also known as prion diseases. The hallmark of a TSE disease is misshapen protein molecules that clump together and accumulate in brain tissue. Scientists believe that misshapen prion proteins have the ability to change their shape and cause other proteins of the same type to also change shape. Other TSEs include Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and fatal familial insomnia in humans, bovine spongiform encephalopathy in cattle (also known as mad cow disease), scrapie in sheep and goats, and chronic wasting disease in deer and elk.

Is there any treatment?

There were no treatments that could control or cure kuru, other than discouraging the practice of cannibalism. Currently, there are no cures or treatments for any of the other TSE diseases.

What is the prognosis?

Similar to other the TSEs, kuru had a long incubation period; it was years or even decades before an infected person showed symptoms. Because kuru mainly affected the cerebellum, which is responsible for coordination, the usual first symptoms were an unsteady gait, tremors, and slurred speech. (Kuru is the Fore word for shiver.) Unlike most of the other TSEs, dementia was either minimal or absent. Mood changes were often present. Eventually, individuals became unable to stand or eat, and they died in a comatose state from 6 to 12 months after the first appearance of symptoms.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:51 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
There are too many diseases and genetic disorders that will be propagated by cannibalism.

Bovine spongiform encephalopathy is one disorder that comes from cows eating cows, the same disease is found in human populations that practice cannibalism.

It will never be allowed to happen.
Never say never.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:53 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
finger food for the imagination..

Old 01-23-2013, 05:58 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
finger food for the imagination..

I ate His liver with some fava beans... - YouTube

Old 01-23-2013, 06:05 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
I recently heard an argument presented in favor of legalizing cannibalism. The advocate cited world hunger statistics and the lack of meat in the diets of starving individuals. The proposed solution was to allow for donation of ones body after death for the purpose of being used as food - an interesting variation on the organ donor movement.

What do you think? Would you support legislation that allowed for a person to freely give their remains for human consumption uses? Would you resort to cannibalism if you were starving? And if you object morally to the concept - what is your source of moral truth?
Is it any different than organ donations?

Old 01-23-2013, 06:07 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
There are too many diseases and genetic disorders that will be propagated by cannibalism..
But is that any different from donating diseased organs?

Old 01-23-2013, 06:12 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post

You've got some seriously messed up chickens in your neighborhood, don't you?
Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies