U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-14-2012, 09:21 PM
 
1,812 posts, read 1,160,684 times
Reputation: 1887

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Which rights and protections are they being deprived of?
An Overview of Federal Rights and Protections Granted to Married Couples | Resources | Human Rights Campaign
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2012, 09:31 PM
 
Location: WA
4,246 posts, read 7,811,033 times
Reputation: 2361
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Mircea, so you think you are psychic do you?...First of all my "lifestyle" is none of your business, but it is not a homosexual one...You know what is said about people who assume do you not?.....Secondly, I have a transgendered cousin who I love and respect...This thread is about the right of homosexuals to marry, and throwing all these straw man arguments (like me omitting transgender and bi-sexual rights) into the mix is just making you look foolish.

I read all of your posts that I can stand....Now I feel dirty.
Make sure not to mention to her that hundreds of animals exhibit such "inefficient" homosexual behavior, often to the benefit of the species as a whole (homosexual pairs care for their deceased relative's children). Maybe watch some bonobos in action. They exhibit homosexual behavior to strengthen social relationships. I guess someone should explain to them how deviant and immoral they are being.

Actually, I'm kinda thrilled that a conservative believes in evolution, even if they hate gays. Small victories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 09:37 PM
 
14,920 posts, read 11,106,541 times
Reputation: 4828
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Hmmm...so what's the difference between a bigot and someone who disagrees with you?
My roommate believes that rum raisin is the best ice cream flavor there is. I disagree - I think rum raisin is gross. My roommate is not a bigot in this case.

Pat Robertson (I just chose randomly) believes that a supernatural being condemns homosexuality as a sin and therefore he wants homosexuals treated differently under the civil laws of the United States (as well as repressed and ostracized the private sphere). I disagree both with his assessment of homosexuality as a sin and especially with his views on the institutional treatment of homosexuals. Because of the latter, Pat Robertson is an anti-gay bigot.

See the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 10:56 PM
 
Location: planet octupulous is nearing earths atmosphere
13,624 posts, read 11,008,495 times
Reputation: 19969
Why is the USA so infested with anti gay bigots?

verse 2112, thou shall not enter the back door!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 11:01 PM
 
15,724 posts, read 9,573,350 times
Reputation: 6987
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Which rights and protections are they being deprived of?
How many times do we have to go through this with you people? 1500 State and Federal marriage benefits, protections against housing and employment discrimination, adoption rights, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 11:28 PM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
12,249 posts, read 10,202,209 times
Reputation: 5349
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
All I'm trying to do is open some eyes to one of the last minorities in the US that are not considered equal

I disagree. Would you have said the same thing if this discussion was about allowing women to vote?


With this I do agree I see you've listed them...

So what? Tell me something I don't know.

So where do sterile people fit in, or those that choose not to have kids, or those that are too old for procreation....Shall we strip them of their rights?

Is this an example of your keen powers of observation?


I have no idea where you got that info, but I have my doubts that it is true.

A legal marriage is accompanied with a vast amount of legal advantages, including tax advantages, next-of-kin-status (which gives one partner of a relationship the right to visit the other partner in hospitals), rights of inheritance in the absence of a will,

Good grief talk about straw arguments...



Nobody is trying to.



How can allowing same sex marriage possibly cost you anything?

Rationally? Not hardly rational at all, and I really don't give a damn if you are convinced or not.

That is quite the rant there Mircea, but all it boils down to is bigotry. You use the same tired arguments that most anti gay bigots do...Can't reproduce, next it will be pedophile rights, or animal sex rights...
I have never seen so many straw man arguments in one post before....
Kind of makes me realize what I knew to be true all along. Libertarians are nothing but fake liberty lovers. They are no different than facists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2012, 01:53 AM
 
7,811 posts, read 5,248,930 times
Reputation: 2973
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Hmmm...so what's the difference between a bigot and someone who disagrees with you?
The use of words like "bigot" and "intolerance" has become so widespread that it is hard to answer a question like this. The word "bigot" has become so overused and dilute as to almost have no useful meaning anymore. I can see the question being asked almost once or twice per page of this now 30+ page thread as to what a bigot actually is.

To me the meaning relates to how much substantiation one has for ones position. If I say "I think X is wrong and here are my reasoned arguments to support that....." then I think I am expressing an opinion with which people are free to argue my evidence and conclusions.

If however I simply do not like X and hence I say it is wrong but am unable to substantiate or defend my opinion in any way... in THAT case I would be a bigot.

To me the subject of homosexuality is an area of much bigotry. I simply have no heard any cogent arguments against it. People simply dislike it because they dislike it. No other reason than that. Further they do not simply stop short of not partaking of it (I for example do not like cigarettes, so I simply do not smoke them. I do not deride others for smoking them or try to ban them from smoking them). but try to deride others who do or paint those others as being immoral, disgusting, unnatural or... worse.... as breaking the law.

That to me IS intolerance and bigotry. It is one thing to say "X is not for me therefore I will not do X" but it is a whole different thing to say "X is not for me, so it it should not be for you either".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2012, 03:00 AM
 
4,532 posts, read 5,079,685 times
Reputation: 3983
my two questions---why the word "gay"? there are so many that are not(gay used to mean happy)

Why the constant whining and name calling about those that choose the heterossexual lifestyle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2012, 03:02 AM
 
Location: Texas
43,367 posts, read 52,267,884 times
Reputation: 70261
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Is it because there are so many fundamentalist Christians, or is there some other reason?...Giving gays equal rights takes nothing away from anyone. Since we have done this in Canada the bigotry has pretty much faded away...

LGBT rights in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There are ~300 million people here.

You will find huge numbers of any kind of wacko.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2012, 03:33 AM
 
4,433 posts, read 3,907,331 times
Reputation: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Well, it (America) needs to evolve, as you are now falling behind of the rest of the western world.

Yup.

American needs to make sure it doesn't fall behind.

California has followed western Europe -- and California is beyond repair.



City Data needs to evolve, and rename itself Gay Data.

Because it has been hijacked by homosexual activists.


Progress, baby, progress. Just like Greece and Spain. And France is next.

Homosexuals are not looked upon in a positive light in the USA.


Even if Barack Insane Obama professes his homosexual tendencies for political expedience.


What a boob. The Dem Convention is in North Carolina. NC just voted against gay rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top