U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 12:51 PM

11,433 posts, read 17,118,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
That's an ignorant arguement...you are denying other's rights because of your opinion.
I disagree with religion, but I'm not fighting to deny rights to the religious.
This is the difference.
I'm not denying rights to anyone, I'm saying your a hypocritical bigot and that's just the way it is. how does my opinion deny you of your rights? That's just ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 02:29 PM

30,837 posts, read 31,682,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Let's say someone opposes ssm because they don't want federal and state programs like social security or health insurance to pay out more money. Is that bigotry ?

Is there a single court case that ruled bans on ssm violate the 1st amendment's establishment/free exercise clause. I'm not sure ssm advocates have even offered that argument in a courtroom.
No. that would be just selfish...Not a whole lot better than bigotry.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:31 PM

2,240 posts, read 2,770,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Wow !!! ??? If you're not aware of how ssm affects eligibility for a variety of social security and other public benefit programs, you should stick to calling people names.
Hmmm...hello. That's the point of getting married. For BENEFITS among other PERKS you get when you're MARRIED, which can't get from SS or Public anything.

I don't anyone names. Stop accusing people of things, seriously.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:39 PM

2,240 posts, read 2,770,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I'm not denying rights to anyone, I'm saying your a hypocritical bigot and that's just the way it is. how does my opinion deny you of your rights? That's just ignorant.
In general...states are allowing people's opinions to deny people of rights and protection afforded to them.

For example: I am a conservative. My opinion clearly states that being Gay- much less in a Gay Marriage- is against all that I believe in as a Christian.

I then go and vote in favor of an amendment in my State's constitution to ban same sex marriage, based on my personal beliefs and opinions on the subject matter. Although I have no expertise in sexuality, homosexuality, rights afforded under the law since I'm not a legal expert. But the state still trusts that I am the best person qualified - along with my neighbors - to make decisions affect people's lives.

Yup, opinions do deny people's rights. That's why when it come's to people's rights, it should NEVER be put up for vote. That is strictly for the courts to decide and rule on based on the law and the US Constitution.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:28 PM

716 posts, read 433,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
I had a distant cousin who was gay. He grew up in L.A. He died from AIDS ten years ago. But he came back to Michigan for a funeral one time and he was telling me about how much he loved kids. We were in a small playground area watching some kids. I'm not sure if he meant he loved kids or if he meant he really loved kids. You could see something funny in his eyes. And at that time we were only guessing that he was gay. Anyway that was a long time ago.

As far as sitting in the diner. What man wants to sit around a table and discuss drapes and valences?
I know, right? I'd bore the heck out of them. We don't get in touch with our man feelings and sing by the campfire. You'll hear about the bigass crappie someone caught, how much beer you drank last night, who's got the biggest knockers, what gun did you buy last etc.. etc.. Most of the time (but not all) they have no interest in that kind of "man" chatter. Good lord, get a bunch of metro men in a room or a room full of gals, they'll talk their ears off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings_Hockey View Post
Is that like "real" Americans? or better yet, "real" patriots?
We never said we wanted to kick their asses or not protect one if need be. We said we don't have to approve of what they are doing and don't want them too close for hugs and giggles. One thing leads to another and before long one is eyeballing YOU or trying to get fresh. From what I've seen, they can't seem to help it. "Hey man, I'm just here to fix the crapper...no need for any of that"! I like boobies and ginnies. Leave me out of your plan!!

Old 06-03-2012, 04:37 PM

25,975 posts, read 28,388,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Why is the USA so filled with homosexual bigots who constantly attack those of religious faith?
Your retort is as bad as the question that was asked.

A lot of gays have been hurt very badly by the teachings of organized religion. Many tried to follow the path outlined by organized religion and they found that it just DID NOT WORK.

I am gay and have seen it many times myself. Conservative leaning gays get married, have kids, live double lives in the closet for a while, finally can't take it any more and then get divorced. More drama ensues for all parties involved.

Some become bitter as a result and go the opposite extreme and rail against religion. Not all, of course. Most gays don't go to those extremes. But it's a case of the loudest mouths getting the most media attention (as usual).

Old 06-03-2012, 04:38 PM

25,975 posts, read 28,388,910 times
To answer the original question...The USA has a larger share of dogmatic religious nuts than Canada. That said, the USA is much more tolerant of gays today than 10 or 20 years go. I am only 42 and the difference between today and when I was in high school is like night and day.

In any case, I suspect you already knew the answer to your question and just wanted to stir up the pot against religion (yet again).

Old 06-03-2012, 04:56 PM

4,433 posts, read 3,915,777 times
Quote:
Why is the USA so infested with anti gay bigots?
Because most Americans don't want gays around them.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:59 PM

14,920 posts, read 11,140,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Because most Americans don't want gays around them.
That's not a reason why the US is infected with so many anti-gay bigots. That's the diseased thought of an anti-gay bigot.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:16 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,208,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBandit View Post
I know, right? I'd bore the heck out of them. We don't get in touch with our man feelings and sing by the campfire. You'll hear about the bigass crappie someone caught, how much beer you drank last night, who's got the biggest knockers, what gun did you buy last etc.. etc.. Most of the time (but not all) they have no interest in that kind of "man" chatter. Good lord, get a bunch of metro men in a room or a room full of gals, they'll talk their ears off.

We never said we wanted to kick their asses or not protect one if need be. We said we don't have to approve of what they are doing and don't want them too close for hugs and giggles. One thing leads to another and before long one is eyeballing YOU or trying to get fresh. From what I've seen, they can't seem to help it. "Hey man, I'm just here to fix the crapper...no need for any of that"! I like boobies and ginnies. Leave me out of your plan!!
what is it that WE ALL are doing.. since all gay must know each other and do the exact same things in their lives.

boy you must've never actually MET any gay people have you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies