Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 01:33 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Yep, that about sums it up.
That is true for a lot of areas and associations. However we lived in a new house a couple of years ago in the I.E. region of Calif. While we were remodeling it, to sell later, or to rent.

People pulled out the trees in front of their properties, along with flowers that were planted. Nothing happened to any of those homeowners. They did replant with items of their choosing.
I do know that in some areas, flowers and certain trees, you have got to leave alone, or you will be fined. Has to do with only a certain amount of certain trees, or flowers that certain butterflys and hummingbirds feed on.
In the high desert area of Calif, there is a johsha bush, that if you pull it out or do anything to it, you will be fined and jailed, if caught.
Some home assoications are better then others, and some are a big huge pain in the butt.

Where we now live in S.C. Calif is a bit of a pain, there are certain flowers and bushes we cannot touch, again has to do with that certain butterfly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 01:35 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
I think most first world countries got that actually. And by most I mean all.

Yeah , some can even go to Cuba.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:47 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,090,473 times
I suggest watching the video at about 3:45 to get to the real meat of the topic.

How did Martin Luther King Jr say it, “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”?

Old 05-14-2012, 01:49 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Depends on what you mean by free is suppose.

We aren't free to view what we want, or do what we want, or even say what we want anymore. We don't have a free market, because not only do federal regulations hinder private enterprise, but so do state and local zoning laws.

You don't own your house or land. Quit paying taxes and see how quickly you are evicted.

Now, we do enjoy some things other countries don't, mainly unimpeded travel. But that's really about it.

If I wanted to distill my own liquor, or grow a plant for personal use, or decide I want to watch a violent movie at 7 on broadcast TV, I can't legally.
That doesn't even scratch the surface.

Big Government controls thousands of activities including;

What I can buy
What I can sell
When I can open my business
What days I can sell certain products
What I can eat
What I can drink
What I can grow
What I can smoke
Who I can hire
Who I can fire
Who I can marry
How much I must pay workers
etc, etc.

In fact, you would be hard pressed to find any part of your life that government does not regulate.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:51 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post

What I can buy
What I can sell
What I can eat
What I can drink
What I can grow
What I can smoke
Who I can hire
Who I can fire
Who I can marry
etc, etc.

In fact, you would be hard pressed to find any part of your life that government does not regulate.

Funny thing is , many people who think they stand up for freedom actualy support a lot on that list.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:55 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
I'm not even going to watch the video. America was free for about 10 minutes. This is not a new or unique thing. All governments start out as "for the people" and evolve into a bloated monster that continues to grow and suffocate freedom till one of 3 things happens 1. Armed revolt, 2. Conquest, 3. It collapses under it's own weight and balkanizes. All three remedies also ultimately fail because the one lesson that we never seem to learn is that it's government itself that suppresses freedom and we can't seem to hold off on installing a replacement for more than a few minutes.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:05 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,090,473 times
When I watch this topic related video it reminds me of those old war movies were the Nazi soldiers always asked for, “your papers, please”.

Detained in the US: Filmmaker Laura Poitras Held, Questioned Some 40 Times at US Airports - YouTube

Laura Poitras should have kept in mind that old saying, “the pen is mightier than the sword”.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:29 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
If the argument some are making is that we shouldn't complain about our lacking freedoms because any number of other countries are very oppressive, then your argument is lame. Compare our freedoms today compared to 100 years ago (and consider who's freedoms you are talking about - ie black people, irish, chinese . ..) and one does notice a degradation of liberty for white people and a significantly worse one for Native Americans). For black people and the oriental cultures/peoples, it has gotten better. Also, in some areas we have (collectively) gained some liberty, while losing in others. I do believe our government is heading down a dangerous path that will only (eventually) lead to a repeat of 1776. But, we keep voting in these mini-King Georges, so we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:20 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post

What I can buy
What I can sell
What I can eat
What I can drink
What I can grow
What I can smoke
Who I can hire
Who I can fire
Who I can marry
etc, etc.

Thats one reason I call myself a conservative. I think any adult should be able to buy anything (explosives may be optional, depending on background checks)

You should be able to sell whatever you like, again, within a logical reason (it doesn't hurt you or anyone)

All of the business stuff I agree with, and you should be able to hire or fire whom you want, for whatever reason you want. You should be able to marry who you want, and as many people as you'd like, no minimum wages, etc.

I'm not a libertarian, I think that some government regulation is needed. I don't want every idiot with a happy trigger finger getting a fully automatic weapon for instance. But within reason, should be fine. But that isn't the country we have, and Republicans and Democrats are equally to blame.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:31 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Wink Is the United States still a free country

Free?

Heck, it isn't even cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies