Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 01:04 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehalo View Post
so it's been a few weeks since my last post, thread, etc

i've been reading about sociopaths/psychopaths. interesting stuff. it ties into an awesome interview I heard with Paul Babiak, author of "Snakes in Suits".

A premise of the book is that top executives and wall streeters exhibit many psychopathic traits.

how does this relate to corporations, well this author summed it up nicely from a past documentary movie that asked the question: if corporations are people, then what kind of person is the corporation?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/op...me&ref=general

Answer - A psycopath.

There's a lot in the article that will make many conservatives or true believers in capitalism upset but that's par for the course if you challenge the basic tenets of capitalism.
You can see even just on the microcosm of this forum the lackeys doing the bidding...fawning over corporations even as they cant afford their own business, defending CEO Jaime Dimon.

Brainwashing works on the soft minded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 01:33 PM

416 posts, read 637,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
What makes you think they don't?
Every time I hear a comment like this I have to wonder exactly what is being taught in public schools. I've been told they stopped teaching general business and basic economics in public schools over 40 years ago and it certainly is evident.

Corporate tax rates in the US are the highest in the free world. Corporations pay the bulk of all taxes paid. If the government was relying on only the taxes of the poor underprivileged and downtrodden worker class then revenues would be less than 100 million a year. That would fuel the government behemoth for about 10 minutes. Where do you suppose the rest of the money comes from?

Beside that, if you really have issue with corporations then you need to talk to the folks running your state because corps are governed and registered by the states. There are reasons there are more Delaware corporations than people (taxes). There are also advantages for individuals who live in California to incorporate in Nevada (nothing to do with taxes).
Joe, I will agree that our highschools do a poor job teaching economics. In fact, they do a poor job teaching about government too. Now my conspiracy adled brain would lead me to believe this is to keep the masses uneducated to allow those in power to stay in power. An educated populace is a dangerous thing. For me a bigger question is what economics would you teach people.

to answer your other statements, yes the US corporate tax rate on paper is high, definitely not the highest, AND THEN WHEN YOU TAKE INTO ACCOUNT ALL THE TAX LOOPHOLES AND TAX BREAKS, well the US corporate tax rate is actually one of the lowest amongs 1st world countries.

you are arguing out the side of your a** to be blunt

now to all posters (as I haven't gotten to page 3 and 4 yet)...this discussion is not about religion or atheism neither of which have anything to do with the clinical (dare I say genetic predisposition) diagnosis of psycopathy or how it applies directly to corporations

nor does it have to do with taxes, I just couldn't let such an idiotic statement stand though.

this is about psycopathy, how it directly relates to corporations, and whether the brand of capitalism espoused by some is compatible with christian values and the stated ideals of a republic form of government

Old 05-15-2012, 01:40 PM

416 posts, read 637,194 times
So corporations follow basic simple rules that at face value define themselves as psycopaths. let's ignore the other issues about christain values, capitalism and the republic.

why should i as a taxpaying citizen of the US be responsible for a corporations mistakes when the shareholders, executives and board members made the decisions that caused the mistake(s)?

so i will go to an earlier comment I made:

hold all shareholders, corporate executives and board members financially responsible for the costs associated with fixing the mistake(s).

now how many superfund sites do you think there would be in the US if this was the law of the land?

Old 05-15-2012, 01:43 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehalo View Post
Sowhy should i as a taxpaying citizen of the US be responsible for a corporations mistakes when the shareholders, executives and board members made the decisions that caused the mistake(s)?
Where are you getting the impressin that you should be responsible?

Old 05-15-2012, 01:49 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Where are you getting the impressin that you should be responsible?
Well, how about the numerous public bailouts of corporations?

Old 05-15-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Well, how about the numerous public bailouts of corporations?
I dont know many Republicans who supported the bailouts, but truth be told, they didnt bailout corporations, they bailed out the US govt, because it was the government who guaranteed all of the debt floated. When housing markets crash, and mortgage became callable, the US Government would have been on the hook for tens of trillions of dollars in obligations that they couldnt fund.

The "bailout of corporations" was a shell game to hide the real liabilities, because the corporations were only able to raise the funds to buy the debts, because of the governmental guarantees which were in place.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I dont know many Republicans who supported the bailouts, but truth be told, they didnt bailout corporations, they bailed out the US govt, because it was the government who guaranteed all of the debt floated. When housing markets crash, and mortgage became callable, the US Government would have been on the hook for tens of trillions of dollars in obligations that they couldnt fund.

The "bailout of corporations" was a shell game to hide the real liabilities, because the corporations were only able to raise the funds to buy the debts, because of the governmental guarantees which were in place.
Yes, and the bailouts would not have been necessary if both parties had not opted to get rid of Glass-Stegall, which is another sociopathic behavior as found in corporations and government officials, isn't it?

Old 05-15-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Yes, and the bailouts would not have been necessary if both parties had not opted to get rid of Glass-Stegall, which is another sociopathic behavior as found in corporations and government officials, isn't it?
Actually Glass Stegall had absolutely nothing to do with it. What encouraged the behavior was government guaranteeing mortgage debt, and when Bush tried over a dozen times to reduce the practice, Barney Frank, and Democrats criticized him to no end and then attacked auditors who said that the economy was going to crash because the mortgage debt couldnt be supported in the free market.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Actually Glass Stegall had absolutely nothing to do with it. What encouraged the behavior was government guaranteeing mortgage debt, and when Bush tried over a dozen times to reduce the practice, Barney Frank, and Democrats criticized him to no end and then attacked auditors who said that the economy was going to crash because the mortgage debt couldnt be supported in the free market.
I very much disagree but have had too many threads deleted to keep arguing with you, so because I don't want to be hit by the mods, I'll let you have the last word.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I very much disagree but have had too many threads deleted to keep arguing with you, so because I don't want to be hit by the mods, I'll let you have the last word.
You disagreeing with reality isnt an issue I need to be concerned about

Shocking Video Unearthed Democrats in their own words Covering up the Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac Scam that caused our Economic Crisis - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies