Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 03:59 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,049,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Oh, my goodness. I guess you did not read my Wiki definition.
People certainly can believe that there is a right and wrong without believing in a punishing god of some sort.

I am amazed that you've never met such a person. There are many atheists who work in soup kitchens, help old ladies across streets, help find homes for homeless animals, give to the arts. Maybe you could try some of these things and you'd be pleasantly enlightened.

There's no right or wrong; just preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 04:18 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,603,785 times
Quote:
I'm not saying that, unless you are referring to someone else. Sociopaths/psychopaths are (from what little I know) are born that way or learn to be so at such an early age that it is an imprint that they follow for life. Some believe that they can never be cured of not being able to feel for another person, but some can be taught a logical ethical behavior so that at least they go through society not harming others.

I think they may be attracted to professions in which they can reach great heights or be rewarded by manipulating others, like management of corporations and politicians.
Very few people are hired into an executive position. That's why I ask if they 'grow' into psychosis. I simply don't believe corporations hire psychotics at entry level and promote them into top positions based on the level of their psychosis. For sure, a certain leadership quality grows as some people are promoted; I don't consider that to be psychosis.

Even some politicians start with the best intentions. Something happens the minute they're seated. They are surely taken into a smoke filled room and told that from that point on, they are owned. I have no doubt they are blackmailed.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:48 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,899,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Very few people are hired into an executive position. That's why I ask if they 'grow' into psychosis. I simply don't believe corporations hire psychotics at entry level and promote them into top positions based on the level of their psychosis. For sure, a certain leadership quality grows as some people are promoted; I don't consider that to be psychosis.

Even some politicians start with the best intentions. Something happens the minute they're seated. They are surely taken into a smoke filled room and told that from that point on, they are owned. I have no doubt they are blackmailed.
People who seemingly will stop at nothing to achieve their ends, often attractive and intelligent, charming, manipulative, know all the right things to say and do to impress -

These come in several varieties and not all are killers because there are often other ways to satisfy goals and because they are so adept at mimicking normal human behavior.

There are several books written about the sociopath:
The Sociopath among Us
The Sociopath Next Door
Without Conscience
Snakes in Suits

These people are usually out of control raving lunatics. Corporations hire them and they often prove themselves and work their way up. They know how to impress their management. They know how to cut down the opposition. They are driven and ruthless and let nothing stand in their way. They will set people up and discredit them and even destroy them if they are seen as a hindrance to the sociopath's goals. They cannot feel compassion or empathy for another. People are mere stepping stones for their own advancement.

If you met one, you would probably be impressed.

Yes, some kill.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:12 AM

416 posts, read 634,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Where are you getting the impressin that you should be responsible?
what part of "superfund" do you not understand?

Old 05-26-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I dont know many Republicans who supported the bailouts, but truth be told, they didnt bailout corporations, they bailed out the US govt, because it was the government who guaranteed all of the debt floated. When housing markets crash, and mortgage became callable, the US Government would have been on the hook for tens of trillions of dollars in obligations that they couldnt fund.

The "bailout of corporations" was a shell game to hide the real liabilities, because the corporations were only able to raise the funds to buy the debts, because of the governmental guarantees which were in place.

ok. but in my mind it just reinforces (1) why banks, brokerage firms and insurance companies should be be engaged in overlapping business practices (i.e. reinstall Glass-Stegall) and (2) see next post...

Old 05-26-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
You disagreeing with reality isnt an issue I need to be concerned about

(2) government employees regulating the financial industry cannot compete the with salary scale of that industry and attract the top level talent at the staff/mid-mgt level needed to truly understand the complex nature of the transactions.

why this last argument?

how skilled are the federal regulators in their oversight responsibilities of the financial market players (banks, brokerages, insurance, etc)? there will always be exceptions to the rule (ala some person will take a gov't job because they want to give back to their country versus goto wall street and make millions) but by and large would you forgo the chance to make a butt-load of cash on wall street so you can be vilified as a regulator?

the JPmorgan loss just highlights this issue. the US taxpayer(s) should not be insuring the losses of institutions that engage risky trades and should especially not insure the losses of foreign business units of said institutions (something the republicans are trying very hard in congress right now to keep the democrats from actually implementing).

now the question is where were the regulators in all this mess? to closely tied to the very industry they are supposed to regulate? but then again many people in said industry do not even understand the complexities of these transactions...and yet our tax paid government regulators are supposed to compete with the private industry to obtain experienced employees who can understand it?

in the mean time, taxpayers will foot the bill AGAIN if another crash occurs

Old 05-26-2012, 09:25 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,664,665 times
Quote:
So you folks who hate those who climb the corporate ladder:

How many jobs have YOU created lately?

You all must have had some really bad bosses, lol.
Yes, we are all looking forward to that minimum wage job, during our elderly years, in which we can ask, "would you like fries with that?"

Old 05-26-2012, 12:18 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,303,336 times
Quote:
You all must have had some really bad bosses, lol.

"Employees join companies, but they leave their managers." - Chip Conley, Peak

Old 05-29-2012, 01:46 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,899,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
"Employees join companies, but they leave their managers." - Chip Conley, Peak
That's genius. Pretty much every job that I've left was due to inadequate managers.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:07 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,374,702 times
Quote:
Is not this what the article claimed?
That sociopaths were approximately 1% of the US population, but
they are about 10% of the corporate population.

I've had bosses who would pick certain employees out and bully them. Nobody wanted to be in the firing line of the boss, so they just let it happen. The boss was a tech whiz and his manager thought he could not do without him (because that boss did not reach his position for brains, but for kissing you know what).

I have seen a boss throw an idea out to the group (an idea which had problems). Everyone said it was great - the response was expected, if you expected to be in his good graces. He then did not implement the idea himself but assigned it to an underling - who would be blamed if the idea blew up, while the boss would take credit if it succeeded.

I had a boss who would take each of his managers, as if in confidence separately, praising the guy and asking him to keep an eye on the manager next to him and report back any errors the guy made. This way, he could have dirt on all his underlings when review time came about.

Yeah. Corporations are breeding grounds for sociopaths. They tend to be the ones who get ahead in corporate life because nothing is sacred to them but themselves. They will sacrifice anything.

These are all major consumer oriented corporations which would be immediately recognized by almost each one of us.

Sociopaths are also found in good numbers in politics, as well.
So start your own company and be your own boss. Make sure not to yell at your employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies