U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 08:37 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,122,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I find it humorous that people still think that either political crime family is the answer to our problems. They are one in the same and the only difference is which way they screw us.

The ONLY thing they are concerned about is staying in power. They are going to tell us anything we want to hear, bring up inane "wedge issues" such as gays, guns, god in order to divide the electorate and FOOL us into voting for a continuation of the status quo.

When I hear the useful idiots of the republican or democratic party spout off about how "if only...." I know we are doomed. If people don't realize what these political parties are doing I have no hope for the future.

I am sure people rationalize that voting for the lesser of two evils is "winning" - wake up! What we have now is over 100 years of "winning"...
Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I don't disagree with you that BOTH political parties are a huge problem for America but I would also say that "mob rule" is even worst... I have yet to hear a reasonable (and intelligent) solution...
How about limited rule? We're better off just suspending federal govt, it's that bad.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:40 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,656,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I have been saying this for a long time now.... we agree completely

I think that most people have been led to believe that they have to be part of a team with any number of "enemies"..... you have the equally ignorant Democrat and Republican voting sheep and they have been handed a list of enemies by their handlers

The poster you quoted with the headsmack and many others you will encounter on this site are too busy staring at their I phones like complete morons and are beyond help unfortunately

Old 05-14-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
That's why we need to elect Libertarian candidates. They ARE different.
But whats to prevent them from being the same?

Old 05-14-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Believe whatever makes you feel comfortable. George Bush and his band of bumbling Republicans wrecked this country over 8 horrific years. They were wrong. Your red state was wrong. Your red state consistently picks the wrong person for President, consistently votes on the wrong side of the issues, and can't shake the overwhelming evidence that your state's right-favoring ideology supports the most bigoted people in this country. It's natural to discard what you say here.

The reality is that we have a fine President at the helm. He's black. he's brilliant, articulate, supremely educated, and a man of great depth. He's overcome more adversity than all the previous Presidents combined, adversity brought on simply because of the color of his skin. He is the most scrutinzed President in history, principally because of the color of his skin. It took calculating brilliance to get bin Laden, something Republicans couldn't begin to accomplish. Hard to be creative when you're too busy obsessing over blacks and other minorities as Conservatives have shown.

This President was given the the worst mess in history courtesy of the Republican who preceded him. He was cursed with a tea-party downgraded Congress whose sole purpose has been to make him fail, not help the country succeed. He has managed to reverse the free-fall started by Bush, despite the "Congress from Hell." His foreign policy is superior to that of any Republican and he managed to exact change in Libya without putting any boots on the ground or declaring war. Republicans are OK with their representative LYING to go to war or two. So on and so forth.

President Obama represents the superior position and the high ground and he's headed for a second term whether you like it or not.
And well be over 20 trillion in debt, experience less small business creation, while young blacks will experience 50% unemployment. Spare me.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:49 PM

And the great depression lasted over 8 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I have three namesd for you to consider: Huey Long, Charles Coughlin, Francis Townsend

In the deepest depths of the Great Depression of the Thirties, all three presented themselves as populist alternatives to Franklin Roosevelt.

Each of the three tailored his message to the concerns of a particular group around whom he hoped to form a coalition -- Long appealed to white Southerners, Couglin to urban ethnics, and Townsend to the impoverished elderly -- but all three saw tampering with the Consttution and aggrandizement of the Powers of the Presidency as the path upward.

The Republicans, due to the more-settled and more-entreprenurial nature of their traditional power base, tended toward more-ideological advocacies such as the Liberty Lobby; but the "remedies"-- a weakening of the checks-and-balances system and the rule of Constitutional law -- were pretty much the same.

Amd that list doesn't include the hooded idiots with simpler, and more brutal answers

In the end, moderation and common sense won out; Roosevelt was re-elected, buit more important, the New Deal was fine-tuned to the realities of the times

Old 05-14-2012, 08:50 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,278,333 times
People like Ana Puig and Mia Love have the answer. The answer is not to throw up our hands and wave the white flag. The answer is to remake the Republican party in the image of the tea party, pro-freedom wing. Puig vows to 'clone' what was done in the Indiana US Senate primary to many other states. These are the Jeanne d'Arcs of our time.

Mia Love - Give Back - YouTube

Old 05-14-2012, 09:10 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,513,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
And the great depression lasted over 8 years.
Not exactly; the Great Depression was largely confined to the financial community until the banking system melted down in the fall of 1931. And heavy industry began to rebound nicely once the Supreme Court invalidated the National Recovery Act in the spring of 1935. Further proof that Federal interference is not the remedy for economic pain. but the kicker that intensifies it.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:15 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,670,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Not exactly; the Great Depression was largely confined to the financial community until the banking system melted down in the fall of 1931. And heavy industry began to rebound nicely once the Supreme Court invalidated the National Recovery Act in the spring of 1935.
Are you saying the average American wasn't affected by the Depression after 1935.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:40 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,513,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Are you saying the average American wasn't affected by the Depression after 1935.
No. What I'm saying is that the average citizen's view of the events has been drastically distorted by Hollywood and the "pop culture / pop wisdom".

The way Hollywood tells it. people were all dancing the Charleston one day, and all standing in bread lines the next -- it wasn't so

The impact of the Depression was far from uniform; in Northeastern Pennsylvania where I grew up, the anthracite industry had been losing customers to oil and gas since an ill-advised strike in 1925. The Depression forestalled many customers' plans to convert, and maintained a stable market through 1945. After that, however, progress caught up, and Wilkes-Barre and Scranton were a "depressed area" throughout the Fifities and much of the Sixties.

Therw was "collateral damage" as well; my grandfather ran a small independent dairy through the Twenties, and depended upon the local "Poor District" -- an early, county-based welfare measure -- to supply him with local ne'er-do-wells as labor for the sort of jobs no one wants. The development of Unemployment Compensation made that arrangement unsustainable, and he closed the business.

There were undoubtedly many areas and groups for whom the Depression lasted much longer -- the Dust Bowl and the Okies were likely the most painful example. But the schlockmeisters of the mass media never point out the uneven impact.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-14-2012 at 10:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or