Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 06:12 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I was having a discussion with my husband this morning about the "platforms" that politicans are taking during this election. What is it about a week ago that Obama came out with regard to his position on gay marriage? Then he and Romney appear at college graduations and bring gay rights/marriage into their speech. Rather than address the graduates who are the future of this country........they used that opportunity as a soap box to campaign.

What are the issues to voting this year? Gay, vote for Obama. Anti-gay, obvious that's a vote Romney. If black/hispanic, vote Obama, white Romney. Pro-illegal immigration - let the taxpayer continue to support them, give it to Obama. Anti-illegal immigration, goes to Romney. Are people sitting down doing a checklist as to what each candidate supports/offers/promises or doesn't? At the end of the day, all they are doing is making promises that they alone cannot fulfill.

As a whole, what is Obama and Romney promising to do for ALL Americans and the country? I want politicians to stop being selective in who and what they address. We are Americans, we are all suffering from the current situation. Americans want to know what government is going to do to heal itself because clearly it isn't healthy, and how government is going to fix this country which is going down the toilet.

I can't help but to notice the low the intellect of politicians and how self-serving they and their parties are, and how the American people can't see it.
hey, plenty of us see it!!
So get off your high horse
the sad fact is, this is what we have got for now
all the politicians are doing is putting out the crap that MOST folks look for
BUT, this year it is going to be about jobs
Obama is such a low hung hack I hope folks will vote his ass out
it is OUR fault!!
Most folks do not bother to vote at all!!
And then they listen to a few sound bites and go from there
until we the people get off our dead butts and clean house
we will get just what we asked for!
as for Obama, he is deranged, I wish everyone running for office had to be checked out in the head first!
Look at the dim wits in Washington! Who put them there??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 06:29 AM

8,053 posts, read 12,772,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I just snortle when I hear person-a or person-b bleating support for THEIR filthy, corrupt, insane party.

Nothing to be done, BOTH parties are leading this country down a rathole.

I predict a Mad Max scenario will play out across the USA within the next ten years.

I think that a zombie apocalypse is possible???
We are approaching very difficult times. Any way you look at it we WILL see a drop in GDP by 20% + and it is not due to any one particular party, they BOTH have played a role in getting us here.

The Federal government is BORROWING 12% of GDP currently. This can not continue. There are only two ways they can go- Cut spending by 40-50% or raise taxes by 40 - 50% either solution will cause an immediate drop in GDP.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:31 AM

249 posts, read 193,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I was having a discussion with my husband this morning about the "platforms" that politicans are taking during this election. What is it about a week ago that Obama came out with regard to his position on gay marriage? Then he and Romney appear at college graduations and bring gay rights/marriage into their speech. Rather than address the graduates who are the future of this country........they used that opportunity as a soap box to campaign.

What are the issues to voting this year? Gay, vote for Obama. Anti-gay, obvious that's a vote Romney. If black/hispanic, vote Obama, white Romney. Pro-illegal immigration - let the taxpayer continue to support them, give it to Obama. Anti-illegal immigration, goes to Romney. Are people sitting down doing a checklist as to what each candidate supports/offers/promises or doesn't? At the end of the day, all they are doing is making promises that they alone cannot fulfill.

As a whole, what is Obama and Romney promising to do for ALL Americans and the country? I want politicians to stop being selective in who and what they address. We are Americans, we are all suffering from the current situation. Americans want to know what government is going to do to heal itself because clearly it isn't healthy, and how government is going to fix this country which is going down the toilet.

I can't help but to notice the low the intellect of politicians and how self-serving they and their parties are, and how the American people can't see it.
There are a couple reasons for this. First off is the painfully obvious reason of their own personal. Take Biden for example. It was his personal opinion that gays should have the right to marry. This was made during the controversial amendment 1 debate in N.C. Much akin to posters on here, he stated his opinion on the matter...albeit on a national level. Obama followed suit. Just like butts, mostly everyone has an opinion. The way I view campaign promises is very different than the way most view them. I don't view them as promises, or intents. I view them as an outward proclamation of what their views are in the most unadulterated light. Obama proclaiming to try to create universal healthcare, but failing. Well, it's not because he promised, it's because that's what his views are. Gradually pressures of reality set and visions change.

The second reason, which you touched upon, is because you do need to appeal to your base. The key to being successful is to slightly change your position to match your base. We've seen what happens when you flip flop (Romney has been scrutinized because of this, both from the left and the right). Yes, you may be more of an ideologue, but you are not going to completely do a 180. Your base will be alienated and your donors will no longer support your. Obama's views lies more in line with minorities and youth. McCain was more aligned with an older generation and the more economically privileged. Imagine McCain stating that congress should not cut benefits to the unemployed. His base would feel betrayed.

Of course they alone cannot fulfill their promises. It would be unreasonable to expect that. In fact, I would not a president to fulfill all their campaign promises as outlined. With that said I would not like a president that does not have a vision. It would be like a teacher walking in without a lesson plan and asking the students what they want to do. Contradictions and chaos would ensue.

The American people do not understand what campaign promises are. They do not truly understand that they are not truly intended to happen 100% the way they were presented. That would undermine the first amendment since it would not allow for dissenting views. It would reduce collaboration and in fact divide the nation. Politicians, for the most part, understand this.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:43 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I vote EVERY election. If there are no candidates from a third party I can agree with I vote for myself. (I don't know if other areas allow for this but in Tennessee you can write in a name)

The reason I do it is to let "them" know it isn't apathy.
Unfortunately, for each person to write in their own name really does not send much of a message. What we do need is a "TRASH-CAN" to be able to "throw the vote away" if we do not want to vote for the lessor of the evils. One name to write in across the entire country. That way, the votes do get counted, and a message is sent. If the "TRASH-CAN" gets as little as 5%, it becomes news, and the news media will make that name the spokesperson.

If we want a different outcome (hope and change), it's up to us to do something different for the election. We can not expect a different outcome if we keep on doing the same things when we vote. And, think about the effect on the major political parties if the "TRASH-CAN" wins the election....

Old 05-15-2012, 06:48 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Believe whatever makes you feel comfortable. George Bush and his band of bumbling Republicans wrecked this country over 8 horrific years. They were wrong. Your red state was wrong. Your red state consistently picks the wrong person for President, consistently votes on the wrong side of the issues, and can't shake the overwhelming evidence that your state's right-favoring ideology supports the most bigoted people in this country. It's natural to discard what you say here.

The reality is that we have a fine President at the helm. He's black. he's brilliant, articulate, supremely educated, and a man of great depth. He's overcome more adversity than all the previous Presidents combined, adversity brought on simply because of the color of his skin. He is the most scrutinzed President in history, principally because of the color of his skin. It took calculating brilliance to get bin Laden, something Republicans couldn't begin to accomplish. Hard to be creative when you're too busy obsessing over blacks and other minorities as Conservatives have shown.

This President was given the the worst mess in history courtesy of the Republican who preceded him. He was cursed with a tea-party downgraded Congress whose sole purpose has been to make him fail, not help the country succeed. He has managed to reverse the free-fall started by Bush, despite the "Congress from Hell." His foreign policy is superior to that of any Republican and he managed to exact change in Libya without putting any boots on the ground or declaring war. Republicans are OK with their representative LYING to go to war or two. So on and so forth.

President Obama represents the superior position and the high ground and he's headed for a second term whether you like it or not.
lol i can not beleive how truly funny this post is.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:52 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,441,352 times
Smile I take none of you seriously.

Pretty please. Take me seriously. This forum is severely serious.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:00 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
If you voted for Barack Obama, then your opinion is rendered moot. Why? Because its very difficult to come forth and proclaim both parties are evil and corrupt when in fact you were hoodwinked by the "Hope and Change" idiot. If you voted for Obama and are just now finding out that it was all rhetoric and an insult to your intelligence, then perhaps you should take a moment to reflect on your own gullibility. It's one thing to say that both parties are worthless, but it's entirely another to proclaim such while having the carpet pulled out from under you by your own gullibility and for hanging on every word professed by the chump idiot in the Oval Office.

Don't come crying to us now. We tried to tell you that he was worthless. Just because you fell for it hook, line, and sinker doesn't mean you can cry "both parties suck!" You were hoodwinked. Plain and simple.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:02 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,441,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
If you voted for Barack Obama, then your opinion is rendered moot. Why? Because its very difficult to come forth and proclaim both parties are evil and corrupt when in fact you were hoodwinked by the "Hope and Change" idiot. If you voted for Obama and are just now finding out that it was all rhetoric and an insult to your intelligence, then perhaps you should take a moment to reflect on your own gullibility. It's one thing to say that both parties are worthless, but it's entirely another to say that while having the carpet pulled out from under you by your own gullibility and hanging on every word professed by the chump idiot in the Oval Office.

In your opinion.

Which you take seriously.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I happen to agree with A_Lexus. My only problem with the Obama Presidency is it does not have the courage to propose a Universal Health Care system that eliminates private sector insurance.

Beside Romney is a real preppy bastard that does not consider anyone not of his class to be sub human. He likes to hurt lesser beings like employees while stealing their pensions.

FWIW - AGDC always speaks the truth as he sees it. Too bad he is blind.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:10 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I happen to agree with A_Lexus. My only problem with the Obama Presidency is it does not have the courage to propose a Universal Health Care system that eliminates private sector insurance.

Beside Romney is a real preppy bastard that does not consider anyone not of his class to be sub human. He likes to hurt lesser beings like employees while stealing their pensions.

FWIW - AGDC always speaks the truth as he sees it. Too bad he is blind.
Oh the irony of this post is rich. Actually, i'm not sure it's irony. Its either downright ignorance or partisany hackery.

Did you happen to forget that Barack Obama's General Motors takeover robbed thousands of non-union employees of their pensions? Are those people "lesser beings" Greg?

You should reconcile your objectivity with fact sometime. You'll feel better, I promise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies