Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 02:51 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Take a look at his past post and I think you would probably come to the conclusion he would have.
Ironically, he's the same guy complaining about not enough Blacks serving as positive role models for the youth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 02:52 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
So you would have opposed Thurgood Marshall's appointment to the SCOTUS then...

I have not researched all the facts to determine that...

What are you getting at?

Old 05-16-2012, 02:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
You spelled "pogrom" wrong.

That was a quote from the OP

Old 05-16-2012, 02:59 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Breaking News: Virginia's GOP Legislators Act Like Rampant You-Know-Whats... Again.

Perhaps that is why they're scared of having him.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 05-17-2012 at 10:04 AM..

Old 05-16-2012, 03:00 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Thorne-Begland's sexual orientation would conflict with his ability to hold up the state's constitution against gay's.
How?

Old 05-16-2012, 03:33 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Okay, now let's talk about this case.

This is not a federal judge but a state judge. The court he was nominated for was the lowest trial court in Virginia and he would not have "social engineering" cases coming before him.

In addition to which, there is no reason to presume that a gay judge would be any more likely to have a "social engineering agenda" than a straight judge.

Now, how about answering the question?
The question was, do any conservatives want to weigh in, so I did.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:45 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
This guy was just one of many nominees, he didn't get the votes, Virginia has spoken.

Quote:
Marshall, the Family Foundation of Virginia and others who raised concerns about Thorne-Begland’s nomination said they did not object to him because he is gay, but because of his outspokenness on the subject of gay rights.

“I would guess — law of averages — we’ve probably nominated people who have homosexual inclinations,” Marshall said. He faulted Thorne-Begland for coming out as a gay Naval officer on “Nightline” two decades ago to challenge the military’s now-repealed ban on gays openly serving in the military. He said that the action amounted not just to insubordination, but to a waste of taxpayer dollars, since it resulted in his dismissal from the Navy. “The Navy spent $1 million training him,” Marshall said. “That’s cheating the country out of the investment in him.”
House of Delegates rejects gay judge Tracy Thorne-Begland - Virginia Politics - The Washington Post

Old 05-16-2012, 05:15 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Is the Washington Post too liberal for you as well? I searched the right wing news and all I seem to be getting is this. WE FOUND 0 RESULTS FOR: "TRACY THORNE-BEGLAND I wonder why

Bigotry blocks a gay Virginian from the bench - The Washington Post

U.S. News - Critics denounce Virginia lawmakers' rejection of gay judicial nominee
I went to Google just now and found one article after another and three of them came before HuffPo. I wonder what search engine you use.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
YOU First. Let us know how it works out for ya.
Don't you have a mirror? I guess not.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Justice Walker was appointed by Republicans and has voted against gays on multiple occasions. His legal opinion in prop 8 was agreed upon by most legal authorities in the country. Has nothing to do with his being gay. Anyone but a homophobic bigot would have turned down Prop 8 too.

And by your logic, no straight person can rule on any case involving heterosexuals, so let's ban all heterosexual judges.

When you guys outnumber the rest of us I think that what you suggest may well come to pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies