Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 09:04 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiled Prophet View Post
When all of the supposed race people fight for the injustices that happen to whites and Hispanics and others then I will worry about them.

I hate what happened to those poor boys but assault is not the an swer. I will tell you though that the race baiters are getting on my nerves because all they do is make things worse, in my opinion that is. The thing was way overboard and there looked to be race problems but it doesn't seem to bother many of these blacks when they are being ethnically cleansed from their neighborhoods in California by the Hispanics. Why aren't they up in arms about that? Why is it only the whites who can be supposed racists? There are plenty of racists in every race to go around.
The race baiters are dispicable rats....who wouldn't have jobs if it wouldn't be for what they promote, racisum.....and I wish people would see that...I've said this many times before....Martin Luther, would rise up from his grave in horror if he knew what Sharpton and Jackson are doing...they shame humanity and keep the race issues going....and defend those whom they should find immoral and courrupt.

Martin Luther said many things...he fought for education, and respect for oneself...which in turn, feeds respect for everything else, including the law....

I'm not saying the boys in this issue were not wrong....they were....and they should have been dealt with, by the athorities...but, we as parents, also have a job to do, and that is...to let our children know, that crime/gangs/drugs and physical force are not the answer....

thanks for writing down your thoughts.....

Old 09-20-2007, 09:05 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,294,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
1. They are not protesting about the kids being sentenced - they are protesting because of the disparity between the punishment (not) given to the white students and kids, and that given to the black students.
This is where I really wonder. The ONLY kid that has stood trial, Mychal Bell had his conviction THROWN OUT. It was judged that he should have been charged as a minor, not as an adult and that's that.....

Funny I've seen ZERO coverage from the television media regarding this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancorless
2. They are also protesting as to the severity of the charges given to the black students, considering the situation. I mean, they've already reduced that charges once - what does that tell you about the initial charges?
We'll see what happens, but again with the media, I've noticed that the television media is STRESSING the fact that the white kid who was beaten was treated and released and ignoring the fact that he was beaten unconscious in the first place.... So it turned out well for the kid, but I'm guessing our "heroes" the Jena 6 weren't surgically placing their blows in such a way that would knock the kid out so he'd wake up later in fine spirits or anything. The boy COULD have easily died.

Do I think that means they should be charged with attempted murder??? No. I firmly believe they weren't trying to kill the boy, but they need to be charged with something that's going to amount to more than, "Hey, you're 18 and that record is now permanently sealed..... Have a nice life.".

I guess one hope and thought I have is that if all of these boys have been held in jail for this long to release them on time served as I think a few months in the pen would sober them up to the reality of what they did.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:07 AM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,787 times
I thought it was rather obvious by now that the television media is a horrible place to get your news?

Old 09-20-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
1. They are not protesting about the kids being sentenced - they are protesting because of the disparity between the punishment (not) given to the white students and kids, and that given to the black students.

2. They are also protesting as to the severity of the charges given to the black students, considering the situation. I mean, they've already reduced that charges once - what does that tell you about the initial charges?
First, consider this if you will, take 6 people (men) and gang up on 1 (one) man and let the 6 men beat the one man....when they finally stop and back away, what do you think will be left....?? So, since they've reduced the charges already, it could be viewed as fear...fear that if they didn't all blacks would once again riot...think about it...and remember what happened in LA years ago, with the Rodney King incident? If you don't, please, and I say this with all due respect...please read up on it and see what came from that?

Second...the white kids were wrong...yes, absolutely....but what do you think, all this protesting is going to accomplish....fear...fear of a conviction...for fear of riots....if they are now prosecuted, and if they're not prosecuted, what message does that send? It says, Crime does pay...and laws are not respected, simply said, more chipping away at our judicial system... b/c of people like Sharpton and Jackson.

Already Sharpton is now stating.....

"This is a march for justice. This is not a march against whites or against Jena," said the Rev. Al Sharpton, a civil rights activist and one of the protest organizers.
Sharpton called Jena the beginning of the 21st century civil rights movement.

So, what it comes down to, is, he is using this to promote his reason to have a job...b/c anyone can already see, what is going to happen here....

This isn't right....you cannot hit another human being.....

Old 09-20-2007, 09:14 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I was lucky in having a son that was easy to raise, though very strict, the kids say, now, they were afraid of me, then ( I was military strict) our home was the home they were always at...but I was tough...I suppose I'm glad now, that I was tough....my son's father was very wealthy, and I couldn't chance the idea of a custody battle, and I knew if my son got in trouble, there would be one. Therefore, I cannot advise you on his, except to get as much information on it, as quickly as you can, so you can take control.

My thoughts are with you....

Hugs Creme
I have 4 kids. Three boys and a girl. So far my 14 year old has been my only hard one. My oldest is in college, working full time as well. never had to think twice about what he was doing. My youngest son is 13 and he is the same way, very level headed, smart makes good chioces. I dont know if Dylan is just acting out or what.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:15 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
I have not been hearing much about this situation other than it is an injustice and that the white boys have done the same thing as the black boys and have not been prosecuted. It is all generic rhetoric that is coming out of the newscasts that I have heard.

So, please enlighten me if anyone really knows any facts about this.

I understand that the 6 boys beat the one white kid nearly to death. That seems to be agreed upon.

A number of white boys confronted a number of black boys as the party and at least one of the white boys pulled and brandished a gun. This is the incident that preceeded the beating. Have I gotten this part correct or is there more to it?

There have been reports of prior events of white against black actions that have not been addressed by police. What are these events? Are they one on one fights, group against group fights, or group against one fights? It is being expressed that the whites have done things to blacks, but I have not heard anthing to indicate what things and of what severity.

Pending responses to these questions, my present position is this:

A group attacking a single person and injuring them severely must be prosecuted regardless of race involved. These six were caught and must be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. If any other groups attacked and injured people previously, they too must be rounded up and prosecuted to the fullest.

In a case where a single individual fights another single individual and no injuries are sustained, then any prosecution should be determined on a case by case basis. Sometimes the fight itself relieves tensions and prevents further problems, sometimes not. It sounds like this police force does not have the resources to arrest every person who gets into a fight in their jurisdicition. In the cases where injury is involved, there should be an arrest and prosecution, again, regardless of race involved.

So, at this point, unless actual instances of serious injury of someone whom their assailant is specifically known has occurred and the police have not acted, then I think this is just a publicity stunt to generate attention to get these boys off. It does not appear that they have any defense other than public opinion.

That said, even if these other injurious attacks have occurred without prosecution, I think that these six boys should still be prosecuted for their actions without the prior police injustice being considered. I think public opinion should be focused on getting the prior ignored cases opened and prosecuted instead of trying to dismiss another crime on their basis. What happens if the true facts are that the identity of the prior attackers were not known or proveable and later evidence is found that permits prosecution of these unprosecuted attacks that are the basis of this public opinion? If these boys are released and not prosecuted due to this prior injustice, do the white boys that the evidence could convict get off since the black boys were not prosecuted? Or do we hold court on them and then go get the black boys and prosecute them because the white boys have now been prosecuted?

No, I think it is better to let each action stand on its own merits and prosecute them individually. Lets put pressure on the police and courts to hand out justice evenly within the bounds of law rather than to demand laws not be enforced as a means of equity.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I thought it was rather obvious by now that the television media is a horrible place to get your news?
your right, but look how this episode has escolated already....

I don't know why people are not saying, let the legal systems handle this and stay home....

We're all going to have different opinions, but we don't have to allow this to escollate into hate...yanno?

Old 09-20-2007, 09:19 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
baltimoresun.com - Classroom Connections: Archives

Thousands expected to back 6 black teens | IndyStar.com

6abc.com: 6abc.com National and World Headlines

What are your views?

Apparently, this was indeed provoked by white folks....but in the end, what it comes down to is, you don't lift a hand and gang up on a guy and almost beat him to death.

Now I understand, if it's true, the white boys held a gun at a party to the black boys....and nothing was done..but in the end, six black kids, jumped one of those white kids and beat him pretty badly.

All the kids were wrong, all of them...but, you don't beat up a kid for hanging ropes from a tree or talking racial slurs....that, is sticks and stones....and has to be perceived that way....

I fear, no judge is going to want to hand down a sentence on these kids....for fear of a riot. This is not right...this only sends a message that Crime Does Pay.

I don't understand why ministers all over the country are not telling their church members that this whole thing is wrong....

Parents should be talking to their kids....what I'm wondering is this....and please correct me if I'm wrong....but if there were no racial tensions, in the homes of these kids, do you believe they would have gotten involved in something so trivial...now look, and it's the adults that are picketing...what message is this sending to our kids....?????

I cannot believe that ministers all over the world are not telling their members that this is wrong...it's in the hands of the law now....so let them figure it out.....?????

What do you all think?
This ganging up stuff happens a bit, and sometimes the perpetrators get off with little punishment. I saw the aftermath of the Long Beach beating trial (below), when TV reporters interviewed a couple of the moms, and they said the kids were being made scapegoats by the prosecutors:

Violent Halloween Attack in Long Beach, CA (Black on White Hate Crime)

Long Beach Hate Crime Travesty

In the Jena case, the reaction was excessive and uncalled for in response to the initial action. I don't understand how anybody could support the six folks on trial, and to use this like Sharpton is doing is counterproductive to his cause, and only futher marginalizing his efforts. What is most troubling to me, is that when potentially legitimate issues concerning treatment of black folks comes up, like post-Katrina aid for New Orleans, issues like this make some folks less inclined to be very sympathetic.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:27 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
First of all the "white" kid who got beaten wasn't beaten to near death. He suffered a concussion, was released from the hospital the same day and went to a party that night. That's not what I would call beating someone to death so people get your facts straight.

The issue is that this black kid who is still in jail was facing life in prison for what was an assualt. His verdict was vacated already yet he is still in jail. Surely he deserves punishment but let it fit the crime. People wouldn't be protesting if they didn't feel this was a miscarriage of justice.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:35 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,655,803 times
I think a good punishment for this crime would be a couple months in a Juvenille Detention Center,no I don't think they should get years in prison thats too harsh,but a few months isn't a harsh sentance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies