Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2007, 03:38 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post

Too many blacks believe violence is justified for racial insults, and I can't accept that. You bring up the Jews, but when's the last time you saw them violently retaliate against anyone for a racial comment or a Nazi rally or anything?

Hmm, so you know the opinion of just about all 35 million black people in this country?

No, I do not condone them reacting violently to that racial slight, but I do understand where that anger comes from. Too many people are not aware of what a loaded symbol is.

Why do I feel like I'm banging my head on a brick wall?

And as a black man, I only wish more black people would rally around the real problems in our community. We're always ready to raise hell whenever we feel "the man" is doing us wrong, but when it comes to looking at ourselves, it's always "pass the buck", "blame someone else", "just what do you do for your community".

**bangs head on brick wall until unconcious**

Old 09-22-2007, 03:45 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,559,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Even more dangerous is the thinking one can get away with crimes based on skin color.
Like the some of the white kids in Jena

Old 09-22-2007, 03:57 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
It's funny how the white kids have all the guns but nobody sees anything wrong with that. If that many black kids had guns the National Guard would've been in Jenna!

I think some will make an excuse for everything white folks do. Last time I checked, it was a felony for a juvenile to illegally possess and/or brandish a weapon.

Since we're making excuses, I think the black kids we're just trying to say "high".
yanno, I live near Philly, and all the black kids have the guns...matter of fact, we're up to almost 300 deaths already in the city due to crime. It ain't the guns that's doing the killing....

No one's making any excuses...we're trying to figure out what intent might have been there...heck, maybe we're all wrong...maybe the kid intended to use the gun...but he didn't....and that is the difference. He should have been charged for assult with a deadly weapon....

Yanno, I don't believe anyone here is saying the white kids were not without fault...perhaps they were even more at fault then the black kids, but the point is...it's not about black/white kids, it's about kids, or should be...and we, as adults instead of making excuses and trying to second guess anyone's intent, we should all be standing together that all the kids were wrong....period.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 09-22-2007 at 04:05 PM..

Old 09-22-2007, 04:27 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,095 times
Let's try and stay level headed- I'm fully aware this is a very emotional topic with compelling arguments. Don't let it degenerate into personal attacks. Sometimes it's best to agree that you're not going to see eye to eye.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:35 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Let's try and stay level headed- I'm fully aware this is a very emotional topic with compelling arguments. Don't let it degenerate into personal attacks. Sometimes it's best to agree that you're not going to see eye to eye.
It would surely be nice, if we'd all walk away and agree on one thing...that we need to set good examples for out kids....and not, fight, or be against one another, but combine forces together, to make this world a better place...we shouldn't take sides, or pass blame, but what we must do, is admit we're wrong, when we're wrong..., it's not such an awful thing to do.

Sometimes, being right, isn't all that important....

Old 09-22-2007, 05:43 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,347,531 times
The truth is there is probably a lot more to the overall story, many things have probably happened that no one but the kids know, it's built up over time and has come to a head, all these kids are probably guilty of something, it sounds like a town where blacks and white don't get along to well, looks like the kids are racists on both sides and thats not unusual at all. No matter what color your skin is there are racists in the mix, I know blacks who dont like blacks, hispanics that dont like hispanics and whites that dont like whites. The black kid in jail seemed to be around when trouble starts, he has a record of assult and he's where he should be, as far as the other events I haven't read enough details that would make me form an opinion.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:54 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,292,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Well, I'm not sure if I can explain it to the point of where someone can truly empathizes with it- it's good enough that some may actually sympathize with it. It's like attempting to explain how natural child birth feels to a man- you'll really only know when you know- but I'll take her word that it's painful.

As I mentioned, earlier, the general apathy level is higher. It seems everything is a "race card" or black people complaining- quite possibly it's always been this way and I never noticed until now that I'm in my late 30s.

It seems there are those that put the noose incident in the same category as toilet papering the school- in other words, just another prank. What's the big deal, no one was outwardly hurt, and yes it was stupid. However for the deep south and Jena is smack in the middle of the deep south, it's significant to a lot of people who can very much remember when it was sport to hang black men from a tree- take pictures with the lifeless bodies. Someones son, brother, father, uncle, etc. This was business as usual for nearly a 100 years, many generations of blacks *and whites* were appalled by it and had to live with it because the institution of law and order didn't work for them. To make light of it, even in a joking manner is wrong. Why is the swastika so painful to many 60+ years after concentration camps- even to generations of people who've never been to Germany. I mean let's just all get over it, right?- and move on. But when you see these things like that it rushes back many very real memories for a lot of lot people. Why do WW II veterans still get teary eyed when they talk about their fallen comrades 60 years later. Because the pain is still there and very real to them because they lived it. I simply mention the veterans to illustrate why some (actually many) may view WWII as ancient history, but to the men who bravely served in it- it's just as real as if it were yesterday.

So the noose is wrong, and should never have been treated lightly, given what it symbolizes. It was a threat, not with words but a threat nonetheless- and I accept there are people who aren't going to grasp that.

I'm a firm believer in we have more in common than we have that's different. I've screamed just as loudly for justice for the Duke Lacross students- it was wrong. There's case in GA, which is railroading of black underage teenager who had sex with a white girl- which was caught on video. It shows the girl pursuing him, and it was sensual. He was charged with rape and he faced a sentence of 20+ years in jail. Imagine that, high school kids having sex, the horror. However I mention it because a man raised near a million or close to a million for his defense fund. The man is white- and when asked why he did it- he's reply it's wrong- period.

The uproar around the Bell case is about the appropriate application of justice in our legal system. But like I've said several times now, many will see it one way and other will see it another.
Actually a very good response. I'm inclined to agree with EVERYthing here EXCEPT that I don't think there was any miscarriage of justice with regards to Mychal Bell. The other 5??? Maybe, we'll see. The cases you cited??? Yes. But I've seen too many people try to call the Bell case a miscarriage of justice by saying "things just aren't fair for blacks in the South.". Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. That isn't the point here. In Bell's case I don't see a major malfunction in the system. This is the THIRD time he's been brought up on battery charges. Time for this "kid" to face it like a big boy.....

I mean, that's what our court system is supposed to do, right?? Treat each individual as an individual. So forget the other 5 for the time being and ask yourself if Bell doesn't possibly deserve to be charged as an adult....

Last edited by Rhett_Butler; 09-22-2007 at 06:07 PM..

Old 09-22-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Wow..So it's the white kids that were the victims in every single situation! Please..This is becoming stupid. You're all proving my point that white kids are accountable for nothing. That's why you have the Paris Hilton's etc..of the world. White kid pulls gun, nothing/black kid wins fight, attepmted murder.

Marion Barry smokes crack and gets with a prostitute and gets re-elected as Mayor of D.C.

Yeah, those white folk just aren't held accountable.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrlMT7
The only one who is getting harsher treatment from his peers - white or black - is the one kid who already HAS assault history in his background. The others were released on bail, tried as juveniles, and had charges reduced, no?
This sums it up for me in two sentences.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:22 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,476,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Quick question -- would you want these "kids" walking around your neighborhood, mingling with the youth of your community?
Which kids are you speaking of? The gun carrying racist white kids or the black kids that are far outnumbered but stuck up for themselves?

I'll take those black kids anyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies