Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 05:28 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

You may not follow the bible but what about those who do? You want to force them to go against what they believe. Don't you find that hateful?
I agree. It really sucks that we're forcing every US citizen to marry someone of the same gender.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:31 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
Quote:
You are right, no one can be forced. No one wants that anyway since it wouldn't be sincere.

You may not follow the bible but what about those who do? You want to force them to go against what they believe. Don't you find that hateful?

As far as fertility goes, many know of couples who have been married for ten or twenty years before they get pregnant. The issue is they CAN get pregnant, 2 men and 2 woman will never get pregnant unless artificial means are used and that gets into the "Brave New World" stuff.
I'm fairly sure no one is trying to force heterosexuals to marry the same sex. So, no, I don't find it hateful to say Christians shouldn't have influence over the actions of others that do not affect them in anyway.

Sooo...you agree than that people should be tested before being allowed to marry to see if they are fertile? And if they aren't, they shouldn't be allowed to get married? And again those who don't want children should also be denied. So I guess marriage is for fertile people only, AND they have to show proof they've been actively trying to have kids?

Old 05-17-2012, 05:31 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
You really need to be more clear and concise about what you're talking about. I can tell you mean well in that you want to get a message across, but clearly you have trouble in doing so.

Work on that.

Anyway, I don't see how a story that was well written 2000 years ago has any bearing on a secular civil marriage or any other rights and freedoms being denied to homosexuals.

Again - there's nothing fundamentally wrong with being homophobic if you truly do fear homosexuals. It's what you do because of it that caused scrutiny and well deserved criticism.
I can say the same about you, ??????? Be clearer.

You said it yourself. A "story" written 2000 years ago and is still standing today is too powerful to ignore.

Being a homosexual is not wrong, every one needs to be treated with dignity. Living the homosexual lifestyle and forcing others to agree with it is something else. You have the freedom to live it but not to make others change what God says marriage is. The bible cannot be changed to conform with the culture. Never has and never will. People have tried for 2,000 years and it hasn't worked.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:32 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
[quote=All American NYC;24331853]I never said anything about hatred.

There is a difference between hatred & Shunning.

True, and shunning may be for many reasons other than fear.

I've personally never met anyone who actually feared homosexuals.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:35 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
[quote=momonkey;24349587]
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I never said anything about hatred.

There is a difference between hatred & Shunning.

True, and shunning may be for many reasons other than fear.

I've personally never met anyone who actually feared homosexuals.
Some of their summer casual designs are pretty scary, though.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:36 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
Quote:

You said it yourself. A "story" written 2000 years ago and is still standing today is too powerful to ignore.

Being a homosexual is not wrong, every one needs to be treated with dignity. Living the homosexual lifestyle and forcing others to agree with it is something else. You have the freedom to live it but not to make others change what God says marriage is. The bible cannot be changed to conform with the culture. Never has and never will. People have tried for 2,000 years and it hasn't worked.
Marriage is a secular institution. Many marriages do not take place in a a church of any kind. So again I ask why should the bible have a say in those marriages? How are you not trying to force your lifestyle on others?

Old 05-17-2012, 05:36 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
It doesn't matter what Catholic God says marriage is. We're talking about Government Marriage. The kind that gets you cool stuff like hospital visitations, health insurance and rights of survivorship.

Very few people are out there trying to change the Catholic definition of marriage. If Catholics don't like gay marriage, then they don't have to perform gay marriages. Doubt if they ever will, considering that they're so behind the times, they don't even allow women to be priests.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:37 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,757 times
Quote:

Yup. Same hate, different execution.

Moving on.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I'm fairly sure no one is trying to force heterosexuals to marry the same sex. So, no, I don't find it hateful to say Christians shouldn't have influence over the actions of others that do not affect them in anyway.

Sooo...you agree than that people should be tested before being allowed to marry to see if they are fertile? And if they aren't, they shouldn't be allowed to get married? And again those who don't want children should also be denied. So I guess marriage is for fertile people only, AND they have to show proof they've been actively trying to have kids?
Changing the meaning of marriage affects us all. Those who say it doesn't are just naive.

The second paragraph sounds like a communist country. I don't think that would be a good idea plus fertility is variable. It does change and even doctors cannot explain why a couple is not fertile for many years and then gets pregnant.

Not wanting children is a big concern when getting married since that is what marriage is all about. I do know one couple who didn't want children until they were married and changed their mind. They just had a baby girl. Again, they could do it naturally, which is God's plan.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Yup. Same hate, different execution.

Moving on.
Nothing else to say? That's ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies