Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 03:50 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times

Advertisements

Great question. I notice there is a lot of silence from the liberal crowd. Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 04:00 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,436 times
Merge this with the other questions of gay marriage please.

In response though, I severely doubt that situation would occur. It's up to the married couple in question and if one of them all of a sudden is straight.

Who knows, very interesting question indeed. Then again, it's very unlikely that'll ever occur.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:13 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
If it leads to a total breakdown in the relationship, that would be reason enough to end the marriage. It's really up to the couple to decide if they want to remain married or not.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:23 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Great question. I notice there is a lot of silence from the liberal crowd. Interesting.
I'm liberal and I was the first to post.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:32 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
If one of the partners in a gay marriage decides they are straight is that grounds for a divorce?
Depends on if that person is bi-sexual or straight. There are many bi-sexual people in heterosexual and homosexual relationships.

If one of the partners in a heterosexual marriage decides that they're gay is that grounds for a divorce?

Old 05-17-2012, 06:49 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulseoul View Post
I would like to marry the person I love. It does not need to be in a church. I would feel mixed feelings of happiness and disgust if churches were forced to perform marriages. On the one hand, it shows that civil rights can trump religion. On the other it shows a clear overreach of the government. Regardless, I want the same access and opportunity as if I were getting married to a woman. I want to be able to have hospital visitation rights, the ability to put my spouse on my healthcare plan, the ability to adopt (certain states do not allow gay adoption), so on and so forth.

I guess I just want to be treated equally. I pay my taxes (even from abroad), I worked with special needs kids, I volunteered at a church, I want to work at underprivileged schools. Am I truly a threat to society?
I agree with most of your post, and I don't consider any gays a threat to society (unless they are trying to kill people, but that has nothing to do with being gay). I do not think churches should be forced to preform same sex marriage, I think that is wrong. But everything else I agree with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Yes - because all of those benefits are available to you if you marry a woman. I see nothing in the 14th Amendment that gives special protections to couples - the 14th Amendment guarantees equal protection under the law to individuals - and you and I have the same rights as individuals, concerning marriage.

Besides, my proposal would eliminate those benefits as being automatically in force because someone has a civil union,. The fact that you reject my solution to the controversy indicates that there is something besides equal treatment under the law that is motivating you.
I read your "proposal". So basically what you're saying is that you would cut off your nose to spite your face.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:57 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
whether the child they're attracted to is male or female is of little relevance,
It's of great relevance. A male who sodomizes a boy is a pedophile and a homosexual.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:58 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Most states have 'no fault' divorce now. In those states that recognize gay marriage, such would probably suffice.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:59 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,515 times
I would think so - if that's the route the couple wants to take.

If one partner in a heterosexual marriage "decides" that he or she is actually homosexual - is that grounds for divorce?

Seems like I have read about this issue before - where a husband ultimately started to have an affair with another man. Those marriages tend to be dissolved.

Haven't you read about cases like that? Why would it be different for a homosexual couple?

I would also think that you are bi-sexual if you have the ability to switch.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:01 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
People shouldn't be forced to stay together if they don't want to be. If it happens it's their business if they want to or not. Many marriages don't stay together when sex is no longer an option, gay or straight. It's their choice how they choose to live their lives together or apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Probably because most of those people have lives and spend them with their friends and family.

Personally I find your supposed insult a rather significant compliment to how my life is going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies