Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 08:39 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I believe in:

- individual initiative, hard work and strong family values

- a multicultural America

- the absolute separation of church and state

- generally free markets, but some regulation of markets

- cracking down very strongly on crime and illicit drugs

- the dignity of human life

- climate change, evolution and all mainstream science

- ending affirmative action based on race or sex

- government improving the condition of the very poor

- a strong national defense and homeland security, but no unilateral attacks on other countries

So, is there any candidate or party which reflects my political positions?
Your beliefs are not held by either the Republican or Democrat political parties. So you will need to find a candidate that best represents your views and vote for them, regardless of their political party. Or, if you know someone that best represents your beliefs, even if they are not a candidate, write them in.

Voters should never compromise on their principles, that is a job for politicians. When voters compromise the government no longer represents the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 08:43 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
I believe in:

- a strong national defense and homeland security, but no unilateral attacks on other countries

You're a Democrat, brah.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:01 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
I believe in:

Since all politicians claim to stand for such, then either party will do

That removes the Klan, etc., and perhaps some of the more fanatical 'far right' people. Probably more Democrat than Republican position.

Over the decades I have heard many a Republican argue for 'putting pray back in school'. I guess Democrats on this one.

More Republican than Democrat on this one. Some Democrats want too much regulation, though with the market meltdown it can be hard to argue with this

More Republican than Democrat on this one, I believe. Democrats don't like being mugged anymore than anyone else, but seem to believe that if good schools and jobs were available, crime would go down. Many on both sides argue that mandatory sentences for marijuana possession is idiotic. Note, to 'crack down' on crime usually means more police, which means more or higher local taxes to pay for such.

I do not recall any politician stating that he/she did not believe in the dignity of human life. However, perhaps you mean like allowing the elderly to live out their final days in dignity?

Today: Democrat; used to be both sides before nuts took over the conversation (both on the left and right)

Republican on this one.

More Democrat on this one, although many, many Republicans (contrary to beliefs held by some) have no desire to see the very poor suffer. Part is what do you define as 'very poor'.

Hmm. Probably more Republican on strong national defense; Democrats think that we spend more then enough on national defense, and do not have to keep 'war level' spending at all times, while Republicans tend to argue that cutting back on military spending at all will leave our soldiers with only 'wooden sticks' to fight with.

My comments in bold, obviously.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:03 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Marijuana should be legalized, and that would greatly decrease the problem....Marijuana arrests accounted for 47.4% of the drug abuse arrests in 2009. This allows us to estimate that about 872,720 persons were arrested for marijuana offenses. Eighty-nine percent of these arrests were for possession. Another benefit is that it would decrease the criminal elements that control the multi billion dollar marijuana industry...Legalizing the production and sales of grass would also increase the tax base.
LOL, Good luck with telling that to cops and politicians who don't even feel medical marijuana should be legalized, because it's a gateway drug. You can even hear one of them actually say that in public in this audio: http://okmedicalmarijuana.org/mjtownhall.m3u

Old 05-19-2012, 04:29 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Probably Ron Paul. He wants the government out of people's private lives, out of the marriage business, wants equality, and give America a real change and real freedom.
HA. Ron Paul wants little to no government. This will not lead to equality. this will lead to further subservience of the poor to the rich.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:37 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,482,098 times
Quote:
I believe in:

You should vote straight ticket Republican.

And here's why.

People need jobs and that isn't going to happen under the Democrats.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:45 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
You should vote straight ticket Republican.

And here's why.

People need jobs and that isn't going to happen under the Democrats.
LOL! That would be the absoutly worst thing you could do, unless you want the nation to be led into complete disaster and a fascist oligarch.

Only a complete brainwashed idiot would just blindly vote straight (R) (or for the republicans period for that matter)

Old 05-19-2012, 05:36 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,482,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
LOL! That would be the absoutly worst thing you could do, unless you want the nation to be led into complete disaster and a fascist oligarch.

Hitler isn't on the ticket.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:52 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Hitler isn't on the ticket.
Though to the GOP's disappointment he's not, but it looks like they will be perfectly happy with Willard

Old 05-19-2012, 06:13 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
HA. Ron Paul wants little to no government. This will not lead to equality. this will lead to further subservience of the poor to the rich.
I kinda doubt that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies