Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 01:29 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
from the article:

He indicated that while "almost nobody" wrote his or her own biography, the non-athletes in the booklet, whom "the agents deal[t] with on a daily basis," were "probably" approached to approve the text as presented.
Thats what I said
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Literary agents dont print bios of authors, without authors first signing off on what it says. Its what they use to sell the future book to publishers.

This of course means that Obama would have signed off on his "born in Keyna", when it mean a profit to him, and now wonders why people question where he was born.
At minimum Obama would have approved it, and very likely written it. I've written similar bios as I have 3 books in publication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 01:30 PM

26,569 posts, read 14,444,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Sunday, June 27, 2004

Associated Press

Kenyan-born Obama all set for US Senate

Kenyan-born US Senate hopeful, Barrack Obama, appeared set to take over the Illinois Senate seat after his main rival, Jack Ryan, dropped out of the race on Friday night amid a furor over lurid sex club allegations.

The allegations that horrified fellow Republicans and caused his once-promising candidacy to implode in four short days have given Obama a clear lead as Republicans struggled to fetch an alternative.

Kenyan-born Obama all set for US Senate

the "kenyan-born" was added by an unknown editor at the standard. it was not part of the AP article.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:31 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawyer Disciple View Post
If I was going to Harvard I would want everything about my bio to be accurate. There is to much at stake, especially when pursuing a law career. When he was selected as president of the Harvard Law Review, this information booklet would have been available and researched. They did their vetting to is what I am saying. This booklet is most likely accurate.
Wrong on so many counts.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:31 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Find proof that Obama wrote it, or proofed it and signed off on it. Otherwise, "most likely" means nothing.
I didnt say Obama wrote it.. Where would Obamas agent obtain the information from though? Do you think they just randomly grabbed a country?
Quote:
It should be pointed out, this was BEFORE Obama was ever published. We know this because the book mentioned in the bio NEVER got published.
Yes, the book proposed was abandoned. This changes what?
Quote:
Wrong on so many counts.
Like?

Old 05-17-2012, 01:33 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
NEED MORE PROOF?!~

Talk about screen shots, we got screen shots, this time it's The Nigerian Observer happily calling him "Kenyan born."

NEXT Screen shot from The Sunday Standard of Kenya! Yeppers on the same page.

Kenyan official: Obama born here

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawyer Disciple View Post
If I was going to Harvard I would want everything about my bio to be accurate. There is to much at stake, especially when pursuing a law career. When he was selected as president of the Harvard Law Review, this information booklet would have been available and researched. They did their vetting to is what I am saying. This booklet is most likely accurate.
Either that or Harvard manipulated the facts to make themselves look better. Much like they did with Fauxahontas (a.k.a. Elizabeth Warren).

Generally where there is smoke there is fire.

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I didnt say Obama wrote it.. Where would Obamas agent obtain the information from though? Do you think they just randomly grabbed a country?

Yes, the book proposed was abandoned. This changes what?
The point is that Obama wasn't an important client. Someone could have simply scribbled off a brief bio from the information in the file. Since Barack Obama's father has the same name, and was born in Kenya, someone doing such scribbling could have easily made an error.

When you get proof that Obama okayed this bio, get back to us. 'Kay?

Old 05-17-2012, 01:34 PM

140 posts, read 94,314 times
Quote:
Wrong on so many counts.
Where am I wrong?

3,201 posts, read 3,857,922 times
He probably was born in Kenya, but who cares?

He has an American accent!

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
It wasn't a book bio.

It was an agency promo piece celebrating their anniversary as literary agents. It included over 80 other authors.

Get something where Obama actually proofed and approved this, and you'll have something. Otherwise, it's just an error by the agent about a minor writer at the time.

I agree with DC.

It appears that President Obama had signed on to write a book for this agency. As part of a promotional campaign said agency prepared this promo piece.

Mr. Obama never wrote the book. It is possible that he never saw this promo. It is also possible that the reason it has taken so long for this promo to come to light is because it was not reproduced and mailed out to the various book publishers. This may, for all we know, be the sole copy.

Heck, even the website breaking the news (brietbart) does not claim that it disproves Obama's birthplace.

I often tell people that "my family came from Kansas". If they take that information and claim 'Legalsea was born in Kansas', they would be wrong. I was not. But my 'family' came from their. Maybe Obama told someone "My family came from Kenya".

Anyway, I am glad that certain people on this forum have something new to talk about for, well, ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies