Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 07:38 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Yes he did, but that nothing to do w/ what we're talking about. We're talking about people being surprised that a known offensive quantity offended some people.

It's the parents fault for letting the kid out in that make up, and rather than take the time to explain sympathy, those parents decided to shield their kid from reality.
The kid had no intention of offending anyone - on the contrary - he was trying to do his best to give a tribute. If the school didn't want him to dress up like Dr. King, then they shouldn't have asked him to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 07:47 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The kid had no intention of offending anyone - on the contrary - he was trying to do his best to give a tribute. If the school didn't want him to dress up like Dr. King, then they shouldn't have asked him to do so.
That's irrelevant. First, It's his parents fault for not taking the time to explain why people would be offended by this extra step. Second, not intending to be offensive is not an excuse to people being offended.

If I accidentally interrupt a funeral procession or wedding, I'm not excused from offending the attendants b/c I didn't know it was happening. I can't just flip them the bird and act like I'm immune to being judged b/c of ignorance.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:57 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,264 times
Quote:
That's irrelevant. First, It's his parents fault for not taking the time to explain why people would be offended by this extra step. Second, not intending to be offensive is not an excuse to people being offended.

If I accidentally interrupt a funeral procession or wedding, I'm not excused from offending the attendants b/c I didn't know it was happening. I can't just flip them the bird and act like I'm immune to being judged b/c of ignorance.
The child was told to dress up as MLK! Did MLK not have black skin? Why is it offensive to use make up to make his skin black but not offensive to paint on a mustache like MLK had? What exactly are the rules?

And how do you compare this to interuppting a funeral procession???

Old 05-17-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
The child was told to dress up as MLK! Did MLK not have black skin? Why is it offensive to use make up to make his skin black but not offensive to paint on a mustache like MLK had? What exactly are the rules?
Do you need a refresher course in history to understand why "black face" is frowned upon? "Black face" is a known offensive quantity. If you polled people and said: Name one way to offend a Black person, "black face" would be in the Top 3.

That kid is not any more believable as MLK w/ colored skin than he is w/ no colored skin. It's a pointless extra that his parents should have stopped.

Quote:
And how do you compare this to interuppting a funeral procession???
B/c being ignorant of the facts isn't an excuse for being offensive. If you interrupt something that you didn't know was happening, and someone gets rightfully offended, you don't get a pass on offending them b/c you didn't know it was happening.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Do you need a refresher course in history to understand why "black face" is frowned upon? "Black face" is a known offensive quantity. If you polled people and said: Name one way to offend a Black person, "black face" would be in the Top 3.

That kid is not any more believable as MLK w/ colored skin than he is w/ no colored skin. It's a pointless extra that his parents should have stopped.
Well, then the public schools need to stop these assignments altogether if people are that sensitive. (Its not like the little kid arrived with a large slice of watermelon and started tap dancing - that, I could understand. But why be ashamed of rich, dark skin? It is a defining feature, if you want to look like MLK and have kids recognize who you are trying to portray as an important historical character.)

Old 05-17-2012, 08:21 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
Quote:

I don't get why this would be offensive to anybody. Are white people supposed to pretend blacks are white? Does that mean you are ashamed of being dark-skinned? Are we not supposed to notice the difference? I think MLK was well aware of the difference and was a very proud black man.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Well, then the public schools need to stop these assignments altogether if people are that sensitive. (Its not like the little kid arrived with a large slice of watermelon and started tap dancing - that, I could understand. But why be ashamed of rich, dark skin? It is a defining feature, if you want to look like MLK and have kids recognize who you are trying to portray as an important historical character.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I don't get why this would be offensive to anybody. Are white people supposed to pretend blacks are white? Does that mean you are ashamed of being dark-skinned? Are we not supposed to notice the difference? I think MLK was well aware of the difference and was a very proud black man.
Do you both really not know why "black face" is offensive or is this a ruse?

And the argument that b/c he's portraying someone, he should be able get away w/ things that are normally frowned isn't an excuse either. If a 2nd grader wanted to a portray Rick James, I wouldn't give him a pass to call the girls in his class b*&ches or walk around w/ a vial of crack.

Once again, it's the parents fault for not stopping & explaining why this was a bad move.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
And the argument that b/c he's portraying someone, he should be able get away w/ things that are normally frowned isn't an excuse either. If a 2nd grader wanted to a portray Rick James, I wouldn't give him a pass to call the girls in his class b*&ches or walk around w/ a vial of crack.
Are you really comparing having black skin to vile profanity or illegal drug use???

Old 05-17-2012, 09:07 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
There's a big difference between coloring in a picture and putting on "black face?" I don't understand people's insistence on OTHER people not being offended by things that they know are offensive.

I'm not going to walk into a room, fart in someone's face, and then act surprised if someone gets offended by it. You have the freedom to express yourself however you want, but don't act like that makes your expression immune to being judged.
Should white people be offended if a black person applies white make-up?

Old 05-17-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Are you really comparing having black skin to vile profanity or illegal drug use???
JC... I'm comparing the absurdity of allowing regularly frowned upon behavior for the sake of authenticity. Look up blackface! You seem to be oblivious to why it's offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies