Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 10:42 AM

29,409 posts, read 21,986,287 times

Advertisements

China has been slowly divesting itself from US debt. They recently entered a currency agreement with russia. It will happen here in the not to distant future IMO. The goal is to of course get rid of the US dollar as the worlds reserve currency. I would be doing the same thing if I were them. It will mean we can't print money anymore to inflate our way out of debt. When the euro collapses which it is well on it's way China will make their "all in" move I bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 10:45 AM

160 posts, read 126,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
China needs us far more than we need China. It is a country that is hitting a demographic wall, a country that has been cooking its economic books for years, and a country that facing major, major problems

China facing major, major problems, and we are in the brilliant shape. Obviously.

BTW, America in whole does not benefit from trading with China. On the contrary, it kills our own industries, reduces tax revenue, jobs, and finally, increases our debt. The only winners are TNCs' owners (not even workers).

Old 05-19-2012, 02:41 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,137,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
With the U.S. borrowing $.40 on every dollar from China , what occurs (short term as well as long term) to the U.S. if China says 'no more' ? Just HOW dependent on we on maintaining good relations with China ? Thanks.
China is not the only owner of US Debt, but if the plug would be pulled, it would be instant austerity.

The plug will eventually be pulled, for any number of reasons.

As I pointed out in another thread, US Debt is almost $16 TRILLION and WORLD GDP is $70 TRILLION or about 22% of World GDP. The CBO is projecting a $21 TRILLION Debt by 2022.

World GDP is averaging 4.73% since 2000, and US Debt 9.19% over the same period, meaning at that rate, US Debt will be 1/3 of the World's GDP by 2022.

Anyone who thinks that is sustainable is certifiably insane.

Waiting for involuntary austerity...

Mircea

Old 05-19-2012, 02:44 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,986,287 times
Yes the "involuntary austerity" is coming sooner than most think. Years of spending like drunken sailers has to be dealt with eventually and involuntarily looks to be the only way to go.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:49 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,293,408 times
Quote:
With the U.S. borrowing $.40 on every dollar from China , what occurs (short term as well as long term) to the U.S. if China says 'no more' ? Just HOW dependent on we on maintaining good relations with China ? Thanks.
You seem to forget that China is dependent on the United States for a great deal of the consumer goods it exports. Anything that China does to that would seriously destabilize the economy of the United States is a perfect example of "Cutting off your nose to spite your face".

It's not going to happen.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:50 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,293,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Boycott China. Americans love to say this and then continue to shop at Walmart. It's hypocritical.

It's unrealistic, the countries are linked and have common economic interests.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:13 PM

8,611 posts, read 9,115,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
And where was your computer and the keyboard you're pounding on made?

China?

That's what I thought.
So what. We made computers just yesterday Einstein. Hell, we wrote the book. Not China. I remember early computers in the 60s here in DC and the very early internet in Bethesda, Md in the early 80s. Heck, China was still 3rd world in very recent history as far as I'm concerned and anything they make for us now we can take back in a flash. If China ever really jerked our chain (I don't think this will happen) many Amercans would dump their junk in a hurry.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:14 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,012 times
Quote:
They won't because they are as dependent on us as we are on them. They loan us money, we buy their cheap goods.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:27 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,924,443 times
First, why do people like to completely over blow how much US debt China owns? Most of the debt is owned by Americans:

Biggest Holders of US Government Debt - Yahoo! Finance
http://seekingalpha.com/article/2850...overnment-debt

Let's not blow things out of proportion.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:45 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,983,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Actually...no, we don't need to make what we use.

If goods can be produced at lower cost elsewhere, it helps our economy more than it hurts it.

Boycotting China would be terrible for the American economy even if it was done over a long period. That being said, I suppose (as I suggested earlier) that the fact that we purchase so many products made in China is leverage we have in dealings with them.
China is cheaper because we support slave labor, destruction of their environment, which eventually affects us all.

Their water is our water, their air is ours, their polluted food chains are ours.

With this many on the planet, we swap spit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies