Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 07:48 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
World News: Why your breakfast banana may become an endangered species - thestar.com

Bananas are the most exported fresh fruit in the world and 99 per cent of them are Cavendish. Most are grown on commercial plantations in places like Ecuador, Costa Rica and the Philippines.
The Cavendish wasn’t always the best of the bunch. In the early 1900s, fruit producers preferred the Gros Michel — a larger and by many accounts tastier banana. But a fungus dubbed Panama Disease, also known as Fusarium wilt, invaded plantations and destroyed Gros Michel crops.
It was considered one of the most damaging diseases in the world, wiping out more than 40,000 hectares of bananas in Central and South America in fewer than 50 years
I read a book about this a couple of years ago. I was dumbfounded to learn that every banana that we eat is a clone (I think that was the word the author used) of each other. Hence, these Cavendish bananas will all, sooner or later, be wiped out, since there is no possibility that any of them will have evolved defenses against the fungus.

Link to book on Amazon:
Amazon.com: Banana: The Fate of the Fruit That Changed the World (9780452290082): Dan Koeppel: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 07:48 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,627,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
You don't know squat about agriculture. I live in Nebraska (huge US farming state), I grew up on a farm, and I'm part owner in my family's farming business now. The crops are genetically modified to be resistant to Roundup--an herbicide. Herbicides are chemicals that kill weeds. Crops genetically modified to be roundup resistant mean that the farmers can spray the crop for weeds vs. cultivating for them (running a kind of plow behind a tractor to hoe the weeds by machine) because the soybeans are resistant to the herbicide. One of the big (huge) problems is that now the weeds are becoming resistant to Roundup too, plus they're finding that it's more toxic to humans and the environment than was first believed. . Roundup does not protect your food crops "from mold and pestilence."
Don't preach to me about farming and just one product (Roundup!-----did I say a damned thing about Roundup?). I am speaking of science. You sound like a one-crop farmer (probably corn). Genetic engineering can change any genetic trait of a crop. Some genetic traits will confer resistance to unforseen biological threats in the future. And genetic engineering will be the only speedy response to unforeseen circumstances (except for smaller farms of heirloom products).

And let me throw you a little hint about farming. It is huge industrial style farms such as what you grew up on that has fed us for the last few decades (thank you). But it will be genetic diversity, not homogeneity, that will feed us in the future. That is why you should not denigrate genetic engineering.

Last edited by irishvanguard; 05-19-2012 at 07:57 PM..

Old 05-19-2012, 07:55 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,627,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

Ok, but that's quite obviously a corporate-sponsored lie.
You may wish the regulatory environment were different, but right now, it's not. Oh, I wish someone would actually pay me.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:11 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
It comes down to this: the label "organic" indicates certain standards, though they are different from state to state, federal, and even international (for example there are lots of Mexican organics, but who knows what that means).

The label "natural" has NO meaning or standards. Kool Aid could legally be labelled All Natural.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:20 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Kashi cereal's 'natural' claims stir anger on social-media sites

Its not nice to say your product is this when it in fact is that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Oh for heavens sake--then eat all the crap you want and shut up. Just don't try to sell products (at a SIGNIFICANTLY higher price) by marketing them as being natural and organic, and then put things in the box that aren't natural or organic. It's a consumer protection and truth in advertising issue--not a fight over whether genetically modified crops are good for you. The company lied so they could tap into the natural/organics market and sell at a higher price. they completely misrepresented the product to the public. This is exactly why consumer protection laws are needed.
"Natural," as far as food products are concerned, is a very broad and loose term.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:00 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Kashi has another problem.

The claim that they are "7 whole grains on a mission", when they are actually 6 whole grains and one fruit: barley, buckwheat, hard red wheat, brown rice, oats, rye, triticale.

Buckwheat is a fruit and a member of the rhubarb family.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:55 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,510 times
Bummer to hear! Their Vanilla Wheat is fabulous! The wheat squares, when put beside some other top brands of Wheat squares make the other brands look like wheat flour was flattened and woven into cute little biscuits while Kashi's looks closer to having come from the field unprocessed.

What happened? Did kashi do like some of the once-top brands of dog food and sell-out to a conglomerate and now it's not what it was meant to be?

Old 05-20-2012, 12:55 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
You may wish the regulatory environment were different, but right now, it's not. Oh, I wish someone would actually pay me.
Thank you, Captain Obvious. Obviously, it's NOT. But the whole point is that it SHOULD BE.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:06 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Bummer to hear! Their Vanilla Wheat is fabulous! The wheat squares, when put beside some other top brands of Wheat squares make the other brands look like wheat flour was flattened and woven into cute little biscuits while Kashi's looks closer to having come from the field unprocessed.

What happened? Did kashi do like some of the once-top brands of dog food and sell-out to a conglomerate and now it's not what it was meant to be?

They were bought out by Kelloggs.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:29 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Salt is natural. Eat a box of it and it will kill you.
P.S. Ban susnshine. It causes cancer.

I always wonder why Ameicans don't own more wolves. After all, their mutt is probably some ind of genetically created freak dog. What? It makes the dog better? Tamer, smarter, more loving. Bah! Gimme a wolf that would eat my kids in 2 seconds. That's KEEPING IT REAL.

Russian Domesticated Foxes - YouTube
We are talking about something we are eating. Changing the genetics of a food product is not natural, and that's what the controversy is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies