Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2007, 05:38 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,237 times

Advertisements

You may remember the story of the Airforce veteran who after being stopped for a high speed police chase was shot while trying to comply with the police officers orders. Former police officer Ivory Webb was acquitted on all charges from the shooting today in court.

cop shoots American soldier attempting to comply with orders

In the video, Carrion is seen raising his left hand toward Webb at least twice and then Carrion appears to use his right hand to gesture as he tells Webb several times, "We're here on your side" and "We mean you no harm." Webb tells Carrion to keep his hands on the ground and then appears to tell Carrion to "get up." When Carrion says, "OK, I'm getting up," and starts to rise, Webb shoots him three times

Justified or excessive use of force?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 02:26 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,119,908 times
Perhaps there is more to the story, but it seemed quite excessive.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:26 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,380,531 times
From what I heard and read there was no way the cop would've got off the hook, but I didn't hear what the jurists heard obviously.. or they were on crack and I'm kinda leaning towards that one..

Old 09-21-2007, 11:24 AM

Well certainly the police office could not have known the passenger was a fellow police officer serving in the AF, but I think you can hear some mention of it on the tape. I wish I had the transcript. This was following a high speed vehicle chase so adrenaline was high and tensions ruled but ultimately it seems if the guy was doing as the police officer asked.

Cop: get up

Man: ok, I am getting up

Bang...<pause> bang... bang.

without knowing the full conversation and circumstance it is hard to tell but just from the tape, the police officer was clearly excessive.

Wonder if a civil suit will follow?

Old 09-21-2007, 12:31 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,413,619 times
I saw the tape several times. The man that was shot was in NO WAY posing any sort of threat, and was indeed following the police officer's directive to stand up, and then he shot him. I am surprised that the media didn't make a fuss about the races of the victim and the police officer.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I saw the tape several times. The man that was shot was in NO WAY posing any sort of threat, and was indeed following the police officer's directive to stand up, and then he shot him. I am surprised that the media didn't make a fuss about the races of the victim and the police officer.
I went back and watched this a few times myself and I have to agree. The guy was doing what the officer told him to and the claim that he was trying to reach for his pocket just don't seem to jive from what I can see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies