Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 10:10 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I don't think that's bad. The ones where voter ID must be a government issued ID are an unconstitutional poll tax intended to keep blacks out of the polls are the ones that are high tech Jim Crow.
I know in PA the ID is issued for free and I'm pretty sure that is the case in every state that passed it to avoid exactly what you describe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 11:05 AM

290 posts, read 176,286 times
Quote:
I don't think that's bad. The ones where voter ID must be a government issued ID are an unconstitutional poll tax intended to keep blacks out of the polls are the ones that are high tech Jim Crow.
So its racist now to have a drivers license? Did I miss where black folks are allowed to drive without drivers licenses? I must have.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:47 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Va. voters will have to show ID at polls | Richmond Times-Dispatch

Governor McDonnell has signed voter ID legislation in Virginia.

The law doesn't even require photo ID.

Anti-voter ID crowd, please tell me why you are so opposed to even the simplest measures to prevent voter fraud.

This certainly makes much more sense than the other voter ID bills I've seen, but it will still miss a lot of the people who don't have state-issued current photo ID. (And why do these laws NOT accept expired state-issued photo ID? You don't stop being you when your DL expires, so those laws are about something other than verifying voter identity.)

As I have not yet read the bill, the newspaper article leaves me with questions: Is expired state photo ID acceptable? How about electronic (email) bank statements? (My CU provides free email statements and charges for hard copy sent through the mail.) Are ISP bills considered valid?

I'm not a student and have no utilities (other than ISP if that counts) in my name. There are a lot of people in that boat.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:48 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Va. voters will have to show ID at polls | Richmond Times-Dispatch

Governor McDonnell has signed voter ID legislation in Virginia.

The law doesn't even require photo ID.

Anti-voter ID crowd, please tell me why you are so opposed to even the simplest measures to prevent voter fraud.
Because it's unconstitutional.

The onus should be on the government to provide the voter with the I.D. It becomes a poll tax otherwise.

But, leave it to Republians to selectively enforce the constitution.

Typical.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeNomad View Post
Good. Here in Ga we have to show ID as well. I think its a great idea. Makes me feel safer that maybe we won't allow non citizens to vote.

Can someone vote with an expired driver's license? If not, what's the objection?

Old 05-20-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Drugs are bad.

FYI - they've been ruled constitutional by the US Supreme Court as long as the ID is available for free. Crawford vs. Marion County Election Board

What if the free ID requires a birth certificate which is not free? Not so free after all.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Listen, we need a photo ID for just about anything we want to do. Showing one to allow you to vote shouldn't be any different.

But it's not just about showing ID at the polls. I have used expired DL with no problem or even one raised eyebrow. Can't do that at the polls.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:56 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Wtf are you talking about? Isn't a driver liscence a government ID? So your saying black are too lazy get a ID to vote, but have one on hand to get into a night club, or cash a check, rent a apartment, or fill out papers when they are hired for a job? That liberal argument makes no sense. I'm black and have had to use a ID for all of the things above, so why wouldn't I need a ID to vote.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:59 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What if the free ID requires a birth certificate which is not free? Not so free after all.
The only people who wouldn't have a birth certificates are illegals.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:01 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Because it's unconstitutional.

The onus should be on the government to provide the voter with the I.D. It becomes a poll tax otherwise.

But, leave it to Republians to selectively enforce the constitution.

Typical.
It's not unconstitutional -

Crawford v. Marion County Election Board

It's not a poll tax as long as ID's are made available at no charge.

You don't like voter ID laws because you all think they will make it harder for Democrats to win. The logical conclusion would be that Democrats need voter fraud to win since anyone who is legally allowed to vote and wants an ID can get one at no charge in the states with constitutional voter ID laws.

Did you miss the news out of Florida? Almost 200,000 non-citizens (legal immigrants only; this did not even include illegals, the state was unable to determine whether any voters were illegals thanks to a lack of cooperation from the Obama administration) were determined to be on the voter rolls. But I bet you don't care whether legal resident aliens or illegal aliens are allowed to vote as long as it helps Democrats. Hell, you might even think they should have the legal right to vote.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 05-20-2012 at 12:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies