Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 02:35 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,131,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
Not really. No one forces you to go to church or to be a Christian. That has always been a social pressure thing. The gay agenda, while originally "good" in its initial intent, has morphed into its own religion. It's not really about equality, "coming out" and being accepted, it's about forcing the legitimacy of the agenda, i.e., gayness, on a public who largely rejects it. Your adult-aged brain is able to comprehend, or at least parse through, what is going on, but not a kids' brain. Particularly when no one knows what causes someone to be gay in the first place. You have no right to push this on unsuspecting children, and, quite frankly, it's incredibly dangerous, and highly disturbing. Alas, it's like most things, it's about power and influence.

I will re-quote the below from post #10.
This is why people need to open their eyes & think about the consequences of redefining the basis of society - marriage.
Already the APA has reconsidered pedophilia - the extreme of sexual deviating preferences.

Some have commented, "I don't care what 2 consenting adults do behind doors."
And neither do I - but this is no longer behind closed doors!
They are demanding it be front & center in our face - whether we like it or not! Rights are being infringed upon to support sexual deviations, that prove to harm society instead of contribute.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:39 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
This is why people need to open their eyes & think about the consequences of redefining the basis of society - marriage.
Already the APA has reconsidered pedophilia - the extreme of sexual deviating preferences.

Some have commented, "I don't care what 2 consenting adults do behind doors."
And neither do I - but this is no longer behind closed doors!
They are demanding it be front & center in our face - whether we like it or not! Rights are being infringed upon to support sexual deviations, that prove to harm society instead of contribute.
There are laws in place to deal with sex in public places, and they apply to heterosexuals, and homosexuals.

The laws can not discriminate based on gender, which is exactly what marriage laws are doing.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
The reason government is involved in marriage, is because of the vital importance that marriage, and raising children has to do with our future as a nation.

It was we the people, who saw how vital marriage was to our future, that prompted us to involve government. Ask yourself why we allow government to give special tax breaks and incentives to married couples, its because we want them to stay married to raise the best, next generation of Americans as we can.

So now, to justify gay marriage, we need to forget the importance of marriage?
Good points.
"If all men (and women) were angels, no government would be necessary." -James Madison
But the reality is that they are not.

Children need parents - a mother AND father!
Marriage & parenting are difficult! I imagine every spouse & parent has felt like giving up at one time or another. Of course, we don't because there are often more reasons to keep a family together than to break it up. And government, who's responsibility is to make laws to inspire the best for society, knows that legal marriage helps make the commitment stronger, for the benefit of society & the future of society (children).

Old 05-25-2012, 02:47 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Spousal green cards.

Military recognition of same sex spouse so he/she can shop at base commissary, live with me in base family housing, etc.

Legal recognition of same-sex spouse so that I have the right to sue for wrongful death should my spouse killed due to somebody's negligence or malice.

Equal treatment under tax law if I own a business and employ my husband (a straight married man would not have to pay unemployment insurance tax of his wife's wages, but a gay man (even married or civilly unioned) does).

And on and on and on.
These are fair, and easily addressed thru enactment of a few laws. You'd find a lot less hostility from the general public if these types of issues were what the gay community was seeking to address.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Good points.
"If all men (and women) were angels, no government would be necessary." -James Madison
But the reality is that they are not.

Children need parents - a mother AND father!
Marriage & parenting are difficult! I imagine every spouse & parent has felt like giving up at one time or another. Of course, we don't because there are often more reasons to keep a family together than to break it up. And government, who's responsibility is to make laws to inspire the best for society, knows that legal marriage helps make the commitment stronger, for the benefit of society & the future of society (children).
And considering that many homosexuals are parents, there should be no reason to deny them the legal marriage that will make their commitment stronger, for the benefit of society and the future of society (children).

Old 05-25-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
These are fair, and easily addressed thru enactment of a few laws. You'd find a lot less hostility from the general public if these types of issues were what the gay community was seeking to address.
Legal marriage is the only way currently to get all of these benefits. Maybe the government should only offer civil unions to everyone, then we will all have the same rights, and benefits from the government.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
...But the bottom line is this....this fight isn't about 'rights'....it's about the left wing defeating the religious people...taking something that they consider a sacrament (the same as Baptism and Confirmation) in some cases...and in all cases, an event blessed by God. This is more about HATE than anything else.

I object to gay marriage because I am a traditionalist. I don't want the customs of MY country changed. I have children....I have a right to voice an opinion about the society that we live in so the shape of it is something that I FEEL is good for my kids to grow up in. I believe in marriage being between a man and a woman because I feel that marriage is the BASIS of the family unit. I believe that the family unit is one of the building blocks in the foundation of this country.

And I object to people basically saying....'tough sh*t...it doesn't hurt you if a man marries a man...so why should you care'? And to that, I say...Well, isn't that the trouble with America these days? if it doesn't effect ME then why should I care? If there are drug dealers on the corner selling to young kids...then it isn't hurting ME...so why should I care?

to me...that is the wrong attitude. We should ALL care about the things that effect this country and this society. And we all have a RIGHT to voice an opinion and to VOTE accordingly. Don't tell ME that I should have no opinion since it doesn't effect ME.

I sympathize with the religious people who are against gay marriage, because they are basically told by the left to Shut the F up. The left tells them that religion should not play a part in this. IN other words....your opinion doesn't count. But tell me...HOW does a religious person take religion out of the equaltion? Religious people lead their lives...have opinions...etc, based on what they believe....just the same as NON-religious people. So how do you remove what you believe from your thought process? is that even possible?

I support the rights of gay couples to have equal rights as married couples do under civil unions. But I do NOT support bastardizing the institution of marriage to include them. To do so is ignoring MILLIONS of people who have a RIGHT to voice an opinion and to speak their mind. They have a RIGHT to have a say in what the society that THEY live in is. None of you have ANY right to tell them that they should shut up.
I think those with intelligence and an open mind to TRUTH, realize this.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And considering that many homosexuals are parents, there should be no reason to deny them the legal marriage that will make their commitment stronger, for the benefit of society and the future of society (children).
But they are selfish parents, who put THEIR needs over the needs of children.
Children need mothers AND fathers.
Same sex couples disregard children's needs & children's rights to having both a mother and father.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:05 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I can? So since I stay home, and my partner works I will be able to have the right to claim SS on her income like hetero married couples? If one of us dies the other will not have to pay estate taxes on the property we both worked for? If one of our families so choose, they could take our will to court and have higher standing since they are legally family.

You are not going to assume that homosexual couples will have children, either by ivf, surrogacy, or adoption, but you will assume that hetero couples will have children so ALL hetero couples should be allowed to marry. Great logic considering not all hetero couples have children. I think it was around 50% for hetero married couples that have children.
There are a few married couples who have medical conditions which prevent them from having children after sex, but ALL gays and lesbian couples are incapable of getting each other pregnant.

Here's the thing, we know if men and women have sex, they will make a baby, which is why we want them to get married and stay married. Even if the couple did not want kids, or thought they had their last kid, they can still unexpectedly become pregnant and have a baby.

This cannot happen with gay and lesbian couples. They cannot come home one day and find an unexpected adopted baby dropped on their doorstep. so I am not going to call to gay men married, when they have no intentions of ever raising kids.

If I had my way, if a gay or lesbian couple did adopt, and wanted to be "married' thru a civil union by the mayor, and give you all the same rights and privileges as any married couple. I would be ok with it, because the purpose of marriage is to raise children. But I know even if we did that, then that gay couple, who refused to ever have children, would eventually end up getting a liberal judge to demand we give them their free ride, as if their childless relationship was that same as yours, with your children.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
But they are selfish parents, who put THEIR needs over the needs of children.
Children need mothers AND fathers.
Same sex couples disregard children's needs & children's rights to having both a mother and father.
Maybe in your opinion, however scientific studies have proven that children raised by homosexual couples do just as well as children raised by heterosexual couples. My children are doing just fine. 1 in college, 1 in the Navy studying aviation mechanics, and a 2nd grader who makes all As and Bs, is a cub scout, and started a trash clean up movement at school that collected 55 bags of trash from the riverfront park, and a shoe drive that collected 127 pairs of shoes for a native American reservation.

Having 2 moms really hurt our children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies