Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 06:10 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
There are a few married couples who have medical conditions which prevent them from having children after sex, but ALL gays and lesbian couples are incapable of getting each other pregnant.

Here's the thing, we know if men and women have sex, they will make a baby, which is why we want them to get married and stay married. Even if the couple did not want kids, or thought they had their last kid, they can still unexpectedly become pregnant and have a baby.

This cannot happen with gay and lesbian couples. They cannot come home one day and find an unexpected adopted baby dropped on their doorstep. so I am not going to call to gay men married, when they have no intentions of ever raising kids.

If I had my way, if a gay or lesbian couple did adopt, and wanted to be "married' thru a civil union by the mayor, and give you all the same rights and privileges as any married couple. I would be ok with it, because the purpose of marriage is to raise children. But I know even if we did that, then that gay couple, who refused to ever have children, would eventually end up getting a liberal judge to demand we give them their free ride, as if their childless relationship was that same as yours, with your children.
The purpose of marriage was to join and secure power for wealthy people. By joining families, it prevented little kingdoms from balkanizing as properties passed from one generation to the next. It only became the church's business because the church was the state and the state made contracts legal. The "marriage" was an early form of corporate merger and nothing more.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:28 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
I don't support (defend) marriage at all.
That's your choice.

Quote:
It's been proven again and again that a piece of paper doesn't make anyone anymore faithful.
Well a 'piece of paper' might not, but research shows that legal marriage is more likely to.
Quote:
Church and State don't mix? When things are working you get married at a Church. When things cease to work the State jumps in for a divorce. If the Church marries you why does it not divorce you? Hypocrisy.
No one gets legally married by a church. The ceremony in a church is just....ceremonial. Couples do not need to be married in a church. The State issues a legal marriage certificate/contract and the State issues divorce papers.

Quote:
There are certain animals that mate for life. They (as far as I know) don't require marriage certificates. Why should we? Fear.
This is just nonsensical. Animals can't enter into a legal contract.

Quote:
Never been married and never will. When things don't work out I prefer to keep what I've worked for. Keep your receipts people. If children are involved, DNA testing and a court of law can take care of child support.
How sad for you that marriage seems to be just about money for you.

Quote:
Now... does it really matter what my sexual preference is? Not at all.
Your 'sexual preferences' matter if they are illegal or harm someone else: eg rape. But this is about innate sexual orientation not 'preferences'.

Quote:
Homosexuality has been around as long anything else. It's just part of this existence. Get over it
Well that we can agree on.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
This is why people need to open their eyes & think about the consequences of redefining the basis of society - marriage.
Already the APA has reconsidered pedophilia - the extreme of sexual deviating preferences.
No, you are once again misinformed by reading only religious-based/social conservative hysterical propaganda. Try going to the source itself for a change, instead of blindly swallowing ignorant opinions from people who don't have a clue.

http://www.dsm5.org/ProposedRevision...n.aspx?rid=186#

It adds more detail to the diagnostic parameters for pedophilic disorders, it DOES not 'normalise' it as you and the other hysterics claim.

Quote:
Some have commented, "I don't care what 2 consenting adults do behind doors."
And neither do I - but this is no longer behind closed doors!
They are demanding it be front & center in our face - whether we like it or not!
You are being irrational and hysterical and seem to be so obsessed with sex that you think gay and lesbian people getting married means that they will have sex "front and centre in your face".
Quote:
Rights are being infringed upon to support sexual deviations, that prove to harm society instead of contribute.
What rights are being infringed on? You don't have a 'right' not to be uncomfortable because you choose to remain ignorant and prejudiced about gay and lesbian people and homosexuality.

You still have the right to spew your ignorant, prejudiced, irrationally hysterical views wherever you want. More rational people still have the right to call you out on it.

Last edited by Ceist; 05-25-2012 at 07:43 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 07:02 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
This is why people need to open their eyes & think about the consequences of redefining the basis of society - marriage.
Already the APA has reconsidered pedophilia - the extreme of sexual deviating preferences.

They are demanding it be front & center in our face - whether we like it or not! Rights are being infringed upon to support sexual deviations, that prove to harm society instead of contribute.
No one is going to advocate legalization of romantic relationships between adults and little children just because two adult gay people are in a relationship - don't be ridiculous.

The rights that are being infringed upon are theirs - by people like YOU. It's people like you who are in fact harming society. Please stop and let adults have
equal relationship rights with other consenting adults, regardless of sexual orientation.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Good points.
"If all men (and women) were angels, no government would be necessary." -James Madison
But the reality is that they are not.

Children need parents - a mother AND father!
Why do you think your uneducated personal opinions should carry more weight than:

The American Academy of Pediatrics:

A growing body of scientific literature demonstrates that children who grow up with 1 or 2 gay and/or lesbianparents fare as well in emotional, cognitive, social, and sexual functioning as do children whose parents are heterosexual. Children’s optimal development seems to be influenced more by the nature of the relationships and interactions within the family unit than by the particular structural form it takes.

Or

The American Psychological Association -

Overall, the belief that children of lesbian and gay parents suffer deficits in personal development has no empirical foundation.

The results of some studies suggest that lesbian mothers' and gay fathers' parenting skills may be superior to those of matched heterosexual couples. For instance, Flaks, Fischer, Masterpasqua, and Joseph (1995) reported that lesbian couples' parenting awareness skills were stronger than those of heterosexual couples. This was attributed to greater parenting awareness among lesbian nonbiological mothers than among heterosexual fathers. In one study, Brewaeys and her colleagues (1997) likewise reported more favorable patterns of parent-child interaction among lesbian as compared to heterosexual parents, but in another, they found greater similarities (Vanfraussen, Ponjaert-Kristoffersen, & Brewaeys, 2003).

Quote:

Marriage & parenting are difficult! I imagine every spouse & parent has felt like giving up at one time or another. Of course, we don't because there are often more reasons to keep a family together than to break it up. And government, who's responsibility is to make laws to inspire the best for society, knows that legal marriage helps make the commitment stronger, for the benefit of society & the future of society (children).
Research shows that legal marriage (with or without children) is beneficial in supporting stable relationships and healthier people. (Whether they are gay or straight)
Which is why same-sex marriage, (especially for those couples raising children), is beneficial for gay and lesbian couples, their families, and society.

Last edited by Ceist; 05-25-2012 at 07:23 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
These are fair, and easily addressed thru enactment of a few laws. You'd find a lot less hostility from the general public if these types of issues were what the gay community was seeking to address.
Well no, they aren't 'easily addressed by a few laws'. Civil marriage is intertwined with a lot of legislation covering all sorts of protections and benefits. Which is why when people say that 'government should not be involved in marriage', I doubt they realise just how complicated and costly it would be to 'unentwine' it.

But they are certainly addressed very easily by one civil marriage contract recognised at both federal and state level.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I think those with intelligence and an open mind to TRUTH, realize this.
Sadly, by your posts you have proven that you do not meet that criteria. Not by a long shot.
Quote:
But they are selfish parents, who put THEIR needs over the needs of children.
Children need mothers AND fathers.
Same sex couples disregard children's needs & children's rights to having both a mother and father.
Please educate yourself. Links to reputable health/science sources have been provided for you over and over again. That you refuse to even read anything other than malicious propaganda from anti-gay religious sources that support your own prejudice, proves that it is YOU who is being selfish and putting your own irrational needs over those of children and society.

Last edited by Ceist; 05-25-2012 at 07:39 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Maybe in your opinion, however scientific studies have proven that children raised by homosexual couples do just as well as children raised by heterosexual couples. My children are doing just fine. 1 in college, 1 in the Navy studying aviation mechanics, and a 2nd grader who makes all As and Bs, is a cub scout, and started a trash clean up movement at school that collected 55 bags of trash from the riverfront park, and a shoe drive that collected 127 pairs of shoes for a native American reservation.

Having 2 moms really hurt our children.
What's better than having a loving, intelligent, supportive mom?

Two of them.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:47 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,028 times
Quote:
Children need mothers AND fathers.
Same sex couples disregard children's needs & children's rights to having both a mother and father.
I asked earlier but got no answer - how do you feel about children being raised by single parents?

Old 05-25-2012, 08:16 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,028 times
Quote:
They are demanding it be front & center in our face - whether we like it or not! Rights are being infringed upon to support sexual deviations, that prove to harm society instead of contribute.
I really fail to understand. What right of yours is going to be infringed upon if I marry another man? Be specific. You don't even know me! I'm not going to invite you to the wedding... Nothing will change as far as you're concerned.

Ok, instead of me, let's pretend your neighbors are gay and they're getting married. NOW what right of yours is being taken away? Again, nothing will change as far as you're concerned. You aren't going be forced to marry anyone of the same gender. Why is that so hard for you to grasp?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies