Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 06:54 AM

20,948 posts, read 18,980,904 times

Advertisements

The ability to procreate.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:57 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,324,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Rape is a crime of violence, it once carried the death penalty here.

Child molesters - well that is a mental disorder, I am no expert.

They did here in SA, been over 7 years since full rights were obtained and the sky did not fall, there is no gay agenda in schools. The only time it is mentioned is in life sciences (social studies) where it is mentioned that some folk are attracted to the same gender and they are not to be discriminated against.
Of course they are not the same, it is not the norm to be gay and no one in their right mind would choose a "lifestyle" where there is so much stigma attached to it.

Other than the sex, they take the same risks in marriage as hetero couples do. They can divorce, split assets and all the stuff married folk take for granted.

Just as you and I cannot choose to be attracted to males, they OTOH cannot help but be attracted to the same gender. Should they be punished just because we as straights cannot understand what makes them tick?

Outside of their sexual orientation, they are just like you and I, they are human and lead pretty mundane lives like most of the other plebs in society do.

While your suggestion of getting govt out of the marriage game, that is not gonna work. At best all couplings should be reduced to a civil union/license and then whatever the religious want to do over and above that, is extra. They are not expecting the Pope to sanction their marriage nor you and I.
How can someone seriously compare this young man's life to crimes of rape and child molestation?

It's time. - YouTube

Old 06-11-2012, 07:00 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,324,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Pretty much any animal has the 'ability to procreate'.

Are you saying human marriage is no more than just animals mating?

Old 06-11-2012, 07:11 AM

24,261 posts, read 14,122,519 times
Quote:
I have the ability to procreate. I HAVE procreated, so has my partner.
Some heterosexuals can not procreate.

So your point is?

Old 06-11-2012, 09:46 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,946,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
I never said I particularly endorse legalized gay marriage bans. I am for no one getting any special treatment just because they're married. Why isn't anyone standing up for single people? Why don't single people get tax benefits for being "lonely?" The litmus test for me is that if a family member said they were gay, I would still be against same-sex marriage. Has nothing to do with discrimination, bigotry or hatred. That's just spin. It's tomatoes and tomatos. One person's civil rights can be another person's discrimination. Not every is the same.
Oh, please...

Post after post whining about the 'gay agenda' in a thread about 'defending marriage', and now you want to insist that you don't support such bans.

Uh huh... and I'm sure you spend a lot of time in the business forums complaining about tax breaks for married couples. Uh huh, sure you do, because it's not gay marriage that bothers you, it's marital tax breaks/

Uh huh...

Old 06-11-2012, 09:50 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,946,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
I won't continue to belabor the point, as I have stated before, marriage is not a right. It creates an issue because government is involved. Without government involvement, there is no "right." Government originally got involved to encourage people to marry and have children. If that notion has changed, and as same-sex couple cannot biologically have children, then they should get out of the business and stop social engineering people's lives. If they're out, the issue is solved. It's about legitimizing gay culture. It's also funny to me that the left-leaners are perfectly fine with banning people's right to smoke and eat what they want, but, well, Heaven forbid anyone take up the issue of SSM.

Much love, City-Data.
Good. Don't belabor it. Because you're wrong. Marriage is a right. The United States Supreme Court has long ruled it is a right, and has affirmed this over and over.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:18 AM

3,489 posts, read 3,107,455 times
Quote:
How does gay marriage stop people who would procreate from procreating?

Old 06-11-2012, 01:27 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,216,660 times
Quote:
What does that have to do with anything? Being able to produce children is NOT a requirement of marriage and it never will be.

Sad, weak attempt at a strawman. Next time, articulate your opinion and stance better and with more logic behind it.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:31 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,216,660 times
The supreme court and all lower courts treat marriage as a civil liberty. They even go as far to point out parts of the constitution to defend the fact that marriage is a civil liberty.

At the same time they do this, we have states that ban gay marriage. Which is a breach of the constitution, amendment 14. Where it is quite clearly pointed out that no STATE has the RIGHT to remove a civil liberty from ANYONE, unless they remove that civil liberty for everyone in the state.

There is no damn way around this. In order to ban gay marriage and follow the constitution and be a good American, you must ban marriage for everyone in your state. Then again our constitution lately is little more than an old piece of paper no one cares about or reads.

Also, what makes marriage between a man and a woman so special other than the divorce rate of 50%?

Old 06-11-2012, 01:31 PM

20,948 posts, read 18,980,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Pretty much any animal has the 'ability to procreate'.

Are you saying human marriage is no more than just animals mating?
All animals defecate too.

Are you saying that we are just animals?

Oy vey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies