U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 05:48 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,199,552 times

Advertisements

Say the worst predictions come true...a 4C or so rise in global mean temperatures by 2100 or so. By then, do you think much of the South will just become almost intolerable to live in? I dread what a place like Phoenix or Dallas would be like to live in. Even with A/C, people will still want to be out and not locked indoors all the time, what if Phoenix regularly gets 120F+ summer days? I wonder if this will see a revival of the Rust Belt of the Great Lakes, as well. Also, if sea levels rise and many coastal areas have to be evacuated (unless they build dykes or find other ways of keeping the sea at bay) do you think many will leave the coastal cities and go inland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 06:56 PM

14,752 posts, read 27,550,786 times
I think that there will always be upward migration, just because it suits some people better. However, I have seen way more North to South migration.

Of these migrations, I've seen voluntary moves like:
- natives of Miami moving to suburbs of NYC (they were Jewish and the Dad was a CPA, so better opportunities)
- natives of SoCal moving to SEA, PDX, or even inland, to Boise or Denver
- natives of Texas (smaller, more inland cities) move slightly northward to places like Kansas City
- people are discovering they like Pittsburgh or inland New England/mountainous upstate NY and are moving there

Heck, if I could live the way I wanted, had no relatives nearby, and could get in to Canada, I'd move to Montreal. I don't get on the plane to come home too happily when I go.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:42 PM

2,032 posts, read 3,846,787 times
It's possible. Phoenix already has a huge urban heat island affect that dissipates most summer storms from getting to downtown. If the city gets any hotter we might lose a few thousand Californians and a few hundred thousand mid-westerners.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:34 PM

8,600 posts, read 10,306,561 times
dwarfed by international migration - if those temps are bad in phoenix or houston, imagine what they are like in places where AC, etc are not so relatively affordable. Plus where agriculture may be collapsing, etc.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:54 PM

1,328 posts, read 2,542,258 times
Yeah I think so ... Phoenix is already intolerably hot, it will be totally unlivable if global warming is that bad.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:21 AM

727 posts, read 1,037,219 times
If the worst predictions come true then the landscape of our country would be completly different because of rising sea levals. All of the cities near water, such as in the Northeast, would be underwater.

Cities that would thrive would be places like Denver, Saltlake city, Boise, ect.. I think the piedmont region of the south (Atlanta, Charlotte, Birmingham ect..) would do fine because they are high enough to not flood and would have a new way of cooling off being mutch closer to the beach.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:47 AM

5,530 posts, read 9,797,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
If the worst predictions come true then the landscape of our country would be completly different because of rising sea levals. All of the cities near water, such as in the Northeast, would be underwater.

Cities that would thrive would be places like Denver, Saltlake city, Boise, ect.. I think the piedmont region of the south (Atlanta, Charlotte, Birmingham ect..) would do fine because they are high enough to not flood and would have a new way of cooling off being mutch closer to the beach.
The predictions are for the oceans to rise 1-3 feet....not 1000. It will sink SOME cities but not all coastal cities.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:54 AM

2,208 posts, read 3,504,935 times
Global Warming does not necessarily mean "warming", it's climate change in either direction.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:59 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,308,220 times
Its not going to be drastically different in our lifetime. Its a non issue for a long time.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:05 PM

9,300 posts, read 8,427,740 times
Cities along the coast will have massive levee systems just like New Orleans now does. New Orleans will be about the same as it is now, it's already 20 feet below sea level, what's another 3 feet. Miami will become like New Orleans is now.

I think the heat will negatively affect the north worse than the south. I read that Chicago's climate will become more similar to Baton Rouge's in coming years. If Baton Rouge's becomes like Cancun's I don't think that is as much of a difference as Chicago having a subtropical climate like Baton Rouge. A large part of Chicago still doesn't have A/C and is unequipped for the heat. The difference to people in Baton Rouge is they'll probably be able to leave the pool open all year in the new climate model. In Chicago they'll have to thin their blood out a bit if they want to survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or