Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 03:42 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,945,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Why must you think of "Christianity" as a responsibility for others? Can you think outside of a collective and focus on self? I'm sure you can. Try it.

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Matthew 7:1-5

Yes, but where does this establish the acceptance of sin? This verse deals with the fact that we all sin and are not fit to judge others. It however is not a validation for the acceptance of sin, which is what you are using it for. This does not say "accept, tolerate, and condone sin", it says "do not judge others for you sin as well". That however does not mean that sin is accepted, that we are to accept sin. It means we all fall short of the glory of God, that we all sin, and that we all must continue to seek forgiveness.

It is not a means to validate ones sin as you attempt to claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
And what actually constitutes sin is highly debated among Christians, and has been for 2000 years.
Give an example.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
No it isn't, but self-righteousness is. Funny how the anti-gay crowd commits that one as often as they breathe.
You are wrong. /shrug

Old 05-22-2012, 03:50 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,205,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
What does everyone else think of Obama's use of Christian values for the other side of the gay marriage debate? Personally i liked it a lot. I have always felt that a true Christian attitude would be to tolerate and respect others for their differences, so long as they are not hurting anyone. President Obama really gave a new perspective.

Usually, religion is used when debating this issue for the opposite side, as conservatives tend to site Bible verses condemning alternative sexual practices. I am not especially religious and am certainly no Bible expert, so i'm not going to try and dispute the Republican interpretation of these verses. But i liked the President's perspective, and i respect that he took a risk speaking out in an election year.
obama has not a clue about being a Christian
if he did he would not try and bring God out of his box where he keeps him
to make a point
he thinks he is god!!
obama will one day find out how the only one that matters here,
God himself, feels about his little show
no one with an ounce of sense is fooled by this huckster, obama is a hack, nothing more!

Old 05-22-2012, 03:51 PM

Never mind, don't bother responding to me. I have no desire to argue with people over the Bible. It is a fools game.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:52 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,766,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
You are wrong. /shrug
Nope, I'm quite right. I've been doing Christian apologetics for over a decade and have been both a Fundie and a Liberal. I've studied the relevant passages in both correct culture, context, and original language, and have researched the topic extensively.

Suffice to say, I know far more about this subject than you ever will.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Nope, I'm quite right. I've been doing Christian apologetics for over a decade and have been both a Fundie and a Liberal. I've studied the relevant passages in both correct culture, context, and original language, and have researched the topic extensively.

Suffice to say, I know far more about this subject than you ever will.

And yet you know nothing about me which makes you arrogant and foolish in your assumptions.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:04 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Obama does not have any grasp on Christianity. Jesus would have said..."Be kind to them- to not harm or persecute them" He would not have said- Go pretend a man is a woman and sodomize each other and call yourself man and wife...Just like with prostitutes- Christ did not allow the persecution of such people..but he would instruct them "Go and sin no more"-------------------I don't care what they say about "orientation"- There is someone in the world of the opposite sex that you can find and love...

Why don't they understand that gay and lesbian are bordering on hate crime...Gay men are full of envy and HATE of woman....Lesbians in their hearts HATE men...but no one wants to mention that.
As a lesbian, I can tell you that I have no hate in my heart for any man. In fact my ex husband is one of my best friends.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:26 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,766,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
And yet you know nothing about me which makes you arrogant and foolish in your assumptions.
I know what you post here. If you don't want me making assumptions based on your posts, don't post what you post and I wont' draw those conclusions.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:01 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
His view on this issue is not compatible with established Christian doctrine. Elevating a sin to the equal status of marriage between one man and one woman does not compute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies