Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 10:43 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Why? Target has been selling "graphic tees" (often with political and/or social messages) for years, but I guess you never noticed since they didn't offend you - or because it wasn't brought to your attention. I actually love their men's graphic tees, even though I'm a woman, and have bought more than a few over the years. Matter of fact, I might go buy one of those pride shirts now! Some examples of their current stock:

Political-ish
Target.com : Furniture, Baby, Electronics, Toys,...: Target

Oh my goooodness - should I and my fellow Jewish Americans protest this one?

Pro-military? I bet some Berkeley liberals wouldn't like that, LOL.

You could say these promote alcoholism... college/underage drinking in particular, since we all know that's who uses those red cups.

Haha - I want to get this one for my (Pug-owning) brother.

And last but not least, they're promoting heterosexuality and promiscuity too!!

Sheesh, talk about shooting oneself in the foot... you guys aren't going to have anywhere left to shop, if you get your panties in a wad over some t-shirts at Target. I mean, seriously?? They also sell Bibles and crucifix necklaces there, but you don't see us non-Christians getting all outraged over it.
I'm not outraged. I just will vote with my feet and dollars, and continue to frequent Wallyworld. No, I didn't see the tshirts at Target that had social or political statements. If I had, and disagreed with some of them as being "over the line" for me, personally, I would've simply walked out and not bought my PJs that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 10:46 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,055,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The Family Research Council and American Family Association are steamed. The AFA says Target is "ramming same-sex marriage down the throats of the American people".

American Family Association, Family Research Council Attack Target for Selling 'Pride' T-Shirts | rightwingwatch.org

And now Target is blocking emails from the American Family Association. Apparently, they're being bombarded with complaints from angry right-wingers.

AFA ActionAlert - Target donating its sales to gay marriage group
Social conservatives should probably get a life. It seems they think gays are overplaying their hands, but in the long run, social conservatives are going to end up the losers.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:49 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yup. I don't believe in Jesus, but it doesn't make me feel like they're "shoving Christianity down my throat" by selling crucifix jewelry.

Oh noes, somebody might catch the gay by walking past a rainbow t-shirt!! For the love of Buddha, this is just beyond ridiculous.
^ Watch conservative moms make their kids wear surgical masks so they don't CATCH THE GAY *DUM DUM DUMMMM*

Old 05-23-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I guess I won't be shopping at Target anytime soon. Novelty-wear touting social messages should not be a part of their portfolio. I highly doubt they'd sell a "NOBAMA" t-shirt. Social engineering through mass-marketed retail is where I draw the line.
Yeah, it's just the marketing you don't like and not your raging anti-gay bias at play here.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyTrav View Post
We spend between two and three hundred dollars a month with them...

Not anymore.

Screw 'em.
It's kind of funny how you guys think you're making a statement other than that you are backwards and ignorant on what side of history you're really on.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
Boycotted.
Bible sales will plummet, no doubt.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You've told us you don't have any objections to a woman having as many abortions as she can possibly have, so we shouldn't be surprised that you also don't find it objectionable that a homosexual perversity is thrust upon society.

Your vocal support for unchecked abortion and homosexual perversion is downright disgusting. Thank God your views are a minority.
It's interesting how the people who throw around words like "perversion" and "immoral" so often get caught in hotel rooms wearing leather chaps and banging young boys. It happens so often it's become a cliche.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:33 AM

3,502 posts, read 3,134,181 times
Golly, another case of selective outrage.

Were all of you would-be boycotters up in arms about any of the other products that Target sells which undoubtably promote "immoral" lifestyles in your eyes?

Have you seen their DVD and music section in the last 10 years? They have everything from "The L Word" (Lesbians! Gasp!) to hardcore gansta rap.
Heck, you can buy a plethora of Jersey Shore merchandise too (A show entirely populated by borderline retards who binge drink and fornicate their way through life)
Where was your outrage for that crap?

"Promoting immoral lifestyles" is hardly a new thing for Target, but I think what this really boils down to is just another case of people looking for something to get upset about.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:36 AM

3,502 posts, read 3,134,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
I'm not outraged. I just will vote with my feet and dollars, and continue to frequent Wallyworld. No, I didn't see the tshirts at Target that had social or political statements. If I had, and disagreed with some of them as being "over the line" for me, personally, I would've simply walked out and not bought my PJs that day.
You can buy "The L Word" and "***** as Folk" DVDs at Wal Mart too, so I guess they promote homosexual lifestyles as well.

Here, try a little experiment. Go to walmart.com and enter the keyword "gay" in the search field. You'll get 97 items related to LGBT.

Or what? Is your faux outrage only restricted to t-shirts?

Old 05-24-2012, 01:10 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I will boycott them for this. I don't think clothing that represents anything sexual, political, or religious has any place in a main stream store like Target.
I hope you'll also boycott them for selling this and many other religious items

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies