Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 07:51 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times

Advertisements

I just want affordable healthcare. We are a family of 5 for decent insurance with a smallish deductable of 5000.00 35 copay and it being 80/20 insurance we pay almost 900.00 a month. Sorry not affordable. employers just are not offering it and if they do it is based on a bunch of older people so the rates are higher, atleast that is ourexeperience anyway. make to much for the state insurance and Medicaid .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 08:14 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
From experiences in talking to those with Medicaid:

For the ones who qualified for it, all they had to do was keep their card with them.. and they paid nothing for any medical (including medication).

None of them had any problems with it. So! If the Medicaid system is working (for those who actually qualify) in a decent manner, then why can't it work for everyone?

Old 09-21-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I just want affordable healthcare. We are a family of 5 for decent insurance with a smallish deductable of 5000.00 35 copay and it being 80/20 insurance we pay almost 900.00 a month. Sorry not affordable. employers just are not offering it and if they do it is based on a bunch of older people so the rates are higher, atleast that is ourexeperience anyway. make to much for the state insurance and Medicaid .
Wow. You're paying more than the rent on my apartment

Personally, right now. Instead of paying around $500 for insurance a month, I've taken that money and invested it.. so instead of the insurance company holding onto it, I earn dividends and whatnots on my own money.

Basically, the only constant medical visit is shots for my daughter and my yearly woman inspection Which, none are that expensive out of pocket (believe it or not) and definitely not as expensive as $500/month plus co-pay.

Overall, most families would just benefit by investing the money instead of on insurance.

BTW, one of my high school classmates was denied coverage by her insurance for leukemia treatment because she lived within 20 miles of a military facility. Gotta love insurance, eh?

Old 09-21-2007, 08:37 AM
proudmary

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Wow, they will slant their criteria awfully hard to get that number up to a more disturbing sounding message. I agree, the most important number was who had no coverage because they couldn't afford it at all.

I had a co-worker in Dallas who chose not to pay for insurance, even though he was making 60K at the time and had the money for it. He told me they didn't get sick much and he didn't want to spend the extra and that they put about half the insurance amount away into a savings account for emergencies. Not the best idea, but he chose to not be covered and not due to not having the option at an amount he could afford.

So I guess they were counted in the 89.7 million, and I would guess if you shaved off those who went uncovered for less than 1 month in between jobs, you could shave off a few million, and those who declined coverage would take it down a few more million.

The story is not news, its a slant article designed to invoke anger by misleading people to think there are almost 100 million who can't even get insurance. Not the case whatsoever.
Don't forget the number of illegals who are here with no health insurance. They are counted in this number too. I agree that the number is unbelievably high. I don't believe it actually, because it's much higher than the numbers cited in all of the other articles I've read.

I too have a friend, young self employed, earns a decent living of around $75,000 a year. He regularly seeks alternative treatments for any medical condition he has, such as accupuncture. The visits to the accupuncturist cost $50. per visit, so he just pays it out of pocket. He sets some money aside for medical emergencies, but does not feel he needs insurance.

Does anyone know what Hillary will do to those who refuse to get medical insurance? Will the cops show up at my friend's door, guns raised, and haul him off to the slammer? It's totally ridiculous. Her plan will be an enormous failure on many, many levels.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:39 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Wow. You're paying more than the rent on my apartment

Personally, right now. Instead of paying around $500 for insurance a month, I've taken that money and invested it.. so instead of the insurance company holding onto it, I earn dividends and whatnots on my own money.

Basically, the only constant medical visit is shots for my daughter and my yearly woman inspection Which, none are that expensive out of pocket (believe it or not) and definitely not as expensive as $500/month plus co-pay.

Overall, most families would just benefit by investing the money instead of on insurance.

BTW, one of my high school classmates was denied coverage by her insurance for leukemia treatment because she lived within 20 miles of a military facility. Gotta love insurance, eh?

We didnt have insurance two 1/2 years ago and my oldest had to have an appendectomy. Turns out it have burst and sent an infection throughout his abdominal cavity. they had to go back in a week later. Bill came to 75,000.00. We got a 10,000.00 reprieve on the bill and had to sell our home and gave up our 30,000 equity. We are still paying 300 a month so they dont sue us. We have 15000 left. They went after us full bore!!!! It was scary!!

Old 09-21-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
We didnt have insurance two 1/2 years ago and my oldest had to have an appendectomy. Turns out it have burst and sent an infection throughout his abdominal cavity. they had to go back in a week later. Bill came to 75,000.00. We got a 10,000.00 reprieve on the bill and had to sell our home and gave up our 30,000 equity. We are still paying 300 a month so they dont sue us. We have 15000 left. They went after us full bore!!!! It was scary!!
I am very sorry to hear about that. I'm not quite prepared for $75K in medical bills.. and would have to go on a payment plan for sure on it. Luckily, most hospitals don't charge interest on hospital bills. ((Imagine that money on a 26% interest rate like a credit card..))

Back in June, I didn't even realize (for 2 days) that I couldn't close my left eye.. causing damage to it (over-drying). I figured it was Cat-scratch fever (which I've had twice before) and put a patch over it.

Well, then came the over abundance of cold sores in my mouth, then extreme pain, then paralysis in the left portion of my face. It moved to my neck, all the way to the collar bone. I decided to go to the ER.

They immediately thought it was a blood clot (mini-stroke) and did all sorts of tests. After many MRIs and CATs and an LP (oh-so-painful!)... and 2 biopsies (one taken through the sinus cavity and the other from the one of 40+ cold sores in my mouth), I got my diagnosis:

A sinus infection mutated into a flesh eating bacteria. But the reason for the paralysis was because the brain reacted to the trauma by attempting to stop all "transmission" to the nerves being eaten. Hence the extreme pain.

Before being released, I was given my second shot of morphiene. I left with a bottle of codeine, horse-pill antibiotics, and a nifty looking eye patch.

My only luck with this was that I am young enough to go to CHKD (Children's Hospital for the King's Daughters) which is a non-profit kid's hospital. They take patients up to 21 years of age. And because they're non-profit, the bill for the entire fiasco was only $2600.

After getting the disgusting diagnosis and whatnots, I went grocery shopping. No solid foods for at least a week.

Except for a slight twitch in my left eye (at times), everything is good now.

Yes, insurance would've been nice - but some doctors won't do certain tests if insurance won't cover it. But, I was able to walk in and tell them "I don't have insurance, but don't hesitate to do any tests because it might be 'expensive' because I can pay the bill in full or in payments with no problems."

Which of course, I've done.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:55 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
I am very sorry to hear about that. I'm not quite prepared for $75K in medical bills.. and would have to go on a payment plan for sure on it. Luckily, most hospitals don't charge interest on hospital bills. ((Imagine that money on a 26% interest rate like a credit card..))

Back in June, I didn't even realize (for 2 days) that I couldn't close my left eye.. causing damage to it (over-drying). I figured it was Cat-scratch fever (which I've had twice before) and put a patch over it.

Well, then came the over abundance of cold sores in my mouth, then extreme pain, then paralysis in the left portion of my face. It moved to my neck, all the way to the collar bone. I decided to go to the ER.

They immediately thought it was a blood clot (mini-stroke) and did all sorts of tests. After many MRIs and CATs and an LP (oh-so-painful!)... and 2 biopsies (one taken through the sinus cavity and the other from the one of 40+ cold sores in my mouth), I got my diagnosis:

A sinus infection mutated into a flesh eating bacteria. But the reason for the paralysis was because the brain reacted to the trauma by attempting to stop all "transmission" to the nerves being eaten. Hence the extreme pain.

Before being released, I was given my second shot of morphiene. I left with a bottle of codeine, horse-pill antibiotics, and a nifty looking eye patch.

My only luck with this was that I am young enough to go to CHKD (Children's Hospital for the King's Daughters) which is a non-profit kid's hospital. They take patients up to 21 years of age. And because they're non-profit, the bill for the entire fiasco was only $2600.

After getting the disgusting diagnosis and whatnots, I went grocery shopping. No solid foods for at least a week.

Except for a slight twitch in my left eye (at times), everything is good now.

Yes, insurance would've been nice - but some doctors won't do certain tests if insurance won't cover it. But, I was able to walk in and tell them "I don't have insurance, but don't hesitate to do any tests because it might be 'expensive' because I can pay the bill in full or in payments with no problems."

Which of course, I've done.
Just pray you don't get a liver disease and need a transplant. I don't believe you could afford that. Plus if you don't have insurance they wont even consider starting the procedure. Mine was 1.1 million dollars. Had complications. Thank God for insurance!

Old 09-21-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
Just pray you don't get a liver disease and need a transplant. I don't believe you could afford that. Plus if you don't have insurance they wont even consider starting the procedure. Mine was 1.1 million dollars. Had complications. Thank God for insurance!
I know that I couldn't afford something like that. However, I don't quite trust insurance. See my post about the Leukemia classmate. In a world where insurance companies can deny claims for benefits.. I don't know. I guess when insurance companies aren't doing their jobs for mere profit, then I will consider getting insurance.

It's just too costly for what little I actually use it for. If something serious occurred, then I would just take it day by day.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:18 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
I wouldn't even consider NOT having health insurance. Things happen... a simple fall can end up costing you thousands of $$$ in bills. A friend of mine was riding his bicycle (wearing a helmet), hit a curb, broke his wrist in several places and fractured a disc in his back, hospital bill of $45.000 for a 3 days stay.... too scary.
I would not work in a job without health benefits. Even working part time at Starbucks you can get health benefits.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I wouldn't even consider NOT having health insurance. Things happen... a simple fall can end up costing you thousands of $$$ in bills. A friend of mine was riding his bicycle (wearing a helmet), hit a curb, broke his wrist in several places and fractured a disc in his back, hospital bill of $45.000 for a 3 days stay.... too scary.
I would not work in a job without health benefits. Even working part time at Starbucks you can get health benefits.
Yes, you qualify for health benefits.. however, try living off that check while getting health benefits. Could you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies