Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 07:29 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The left is honoring Obama for " saving the auto industry".

If you are a lefty, shouldn't you be owning a Chevy?
Here is a typical example of complete convoluted logic. Very typical of those who oppose everything done by Obama.

I for one am 100% supportive of the auto bailouts. By the way, our "Far right wing" federal government did the exact same thing. Anyways, as I was saying, I'm very happy our government decided to save a million or so jobs in this country by bailing out the ailing auto sector. It's an investment that will just keep on paying and paying and every cent invested will be returned many times over.

However just because I support this action does in no possible way mean that I'm going to purchase either a GM or Chrysler. If they were offering the best deal on the vehicle that suited all my requirements then sure, I'd buy one but that just is not the case at this time. My last two new vehicles have been Toyotas and they have been great cars so I'm likely to stick with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 08:31 AM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
That's right, and by the way GM has repaid the loan.
You're still believing that parlor trick they passed off as truth?

Do a little research. Until you do, you risk saying more foolish things.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:49 AM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
...I'd still take them over Ford or Chrysler for quality issues.
The most reliable car I've ever owned was a '97 Ford Contour. I drove it hard for almost a decade, put 160k miles on it and had VERY few problems with it over its lifetime.

I currently own a Chevy Astro, a Lincoln (Ford) Town Car, a Jeep (Chrysler) Wrangler and a Dodge (Chrysler) Dakota.

The Astro is a money pit, and has been almost since the day I bought it. Problem after problem after problem. I'd get rid of it, but without spending a small fortune for a full size SUV, I can't get the same passenger and towing capacity. So we just keep dumping money into it..

The Jeep was bought for primarily for off-roading. The thing's a rock - almost ZERO problems with it (an O2 sensor failed once) in the nine years I've owned it, and it gets pushed pretty hard. It's one GREAT car.

We only bought the Dakota about six months ago, but so far, so good. Haven't had a single issue with it.

We've had a few problems with the Lincoln, but it was nine years old when we bought it, so that's not too surprising. Other than getting those few things taken care of in the first year, it's been very reliable, and it rides like a dream.

So my experiences are roughly the opposite of yours. I've had very good luck with Ford & Chrysler, and am quite happy with the performance, reliability and longevity of their cars. I am nearly disgusted with the Chevy we own. It's a money pit, it's uncomfortable to drive and I have a hard time trusting it to not fail during longer drives.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:38 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
I'm a lefty, and I just brought a brand new Dodge Durango. Why? Because I wanted to support an American car company this time around. So yeah, us lefties do buy American.
Chrysler/Dodge is owned by Fiat an Italian Car Company tho'

Old 05-24-2012, 09:54 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Problem with automakers is this and please correct me if I am wrong. Toyota, Honda, etc, may be made in the US but there profit margin still goes to the country of origin. Just as American car companies that are made out side of the US, there profit margins will come back to the US if you buy them. As for buying an "import" that was made in the US you provide jobs for thousands in the US, whereas an American car made in Canada, you support thousands of jobs for Canadians.

Why cant they just replace those Toyota factories with American cars and send the foreign comanies to foreign countries. Buying American would truly then be not only supporting the country but also the workers.
Canadian Tax payers helped bail out GM also and are still part of Canadian Auto Workers Union (CAW) the Canadian version of the UAW..

Canada and Canadians have as much say on (North) American Automakers as Americans...Plus most of the parts come north from the U.S. to be assembled in Canada or parts from Canada get shipped south to be assembed in America we are so interconnected..

Canada and the U.S. are the North American Auto industry

Old 05-24-2012, 09:56 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The left is honoring Obama for " saving the auto industry".

If you are a lefty, shouldn't you be owning a Chevy?
Under Bush, it was the right that honored the Pres for saving the auto industry. Who cares?

Old 05-24-2012, 10:01 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That's just sour grapes. The GOP so wished that it would have been a failure -- to hang on Obama's neck. But since it was a success, they now have to crawl back to their corner with their tails between their legs and mumble that it really wasn't a success.

The fact is that we have millions of Americans working, that would have been unemployed if the government listened to Romney's advice.

How pathetic.
Considering there are not "millions" of americans that even work for the auto companies, that argument is pathetic.

And no, the GOP didn't wish it had been a failure. I'm thinking that they, like many americans, wished the company had been a success ON THEIR OWN. But the unions kept that from happening. It was NOT a success.

Furthermore, the GOP doesn't need to hang any failures on Obama's neck - he's doing a fine job of that himself.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:06 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Considering there are not "millions" of americans that even work for the auto companies, that argument is pathetic.

And no, the GOP didn't wish it had been a failure. I'm thinking that they, like many americans, wished the company had been a success ON THEIR OWN. But the unions kept that from happening. It was NOT a success.

Furthermore, the GOP doesn't need to hang any failures on Obama's neck - he's doing a fine job of that himself.
Considering that you do not know that besides the big automaker there are thousands of companies that provide parts and support to the automakers and depend on them doing well to stay in business is pathetic.
There we go it is all the unions fault not on the automakers game plan and a bad economy.
According to you, thing is the GOP has no ideas to fix anything and if anything they have been part of the problem. Not to mention that you ignore is that the GOP backed the bailouts, so much for your arguement.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:08 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
I have a Cavalier for running around town and i bought a Cobalt for my son. I'm proud to have a few Chevy's.

For my main car? Nope. Not gonna paint the town red in a Chevy (unless it's a Vette, which i'm considering). But they're good for what they are.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:27 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,937,731 times
How come conservatives poop on everything "American made"? I remember it used to be conservative types who bought American and it was a stereotype that liberal yuppies bought everything imported. Now it's right wingers shilling for Wal-Mart and anything made outside America and liberals who are buying American Apparel, GM, local foods and union made American products. Funny how conservatives consider themselves patriots while they wouldn't be caught dead buying anything actually American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies