Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 06:42 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,719,759 times

Advertisements

[quote=AeroGuyDC;24442912]A common refrain from the liberal left is that food stamp fraud claims are vastly overblown by the conservative right. It's just a figment of our imagination that those who collect food stamps are living high on the hog, driving shiny SUV's, wearing fancy clothes, etc.

If 1% of food stamp receivers are frauds, that makes them more honest on average than politicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 06:45 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,310,818 times
[quote=GJJG2012;24733550]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
A common refrain from the liberal left is that food stamp fraud claims are vastly overblown by the conservative right. It's just a figment of our imagination that those who collect food stamps are living high on the hog, driving shiny SUV's, wearing fancy clothes, etc.

If 1% of food stamp receivers are frauds, that makes them more honest on average than politicians.
And your point is? Two wrongs make a right?

Old 06-13-2012, 06:54 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,719,759 times
Default War is fraud, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
So, you support the fraud?
$1 trillion into Middle East wars. Are you against or are you benefiting?

Food stamps cost so little compared to wars. Over 40 million get food stamps, but we could just let them all die, if we wanted to add 1% to our war budget.

Some only get $1 a day for food stamps. Are they eating too much?

Old 06-13-2012, 07:35 PM

56 posts, read 45,047 times
[quote=GJJG2012;24733550]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
A common refrain from the liberal left is that food stamp fraud claims are vastly overblown by the conservative right. It's just a figment of our imagination that those who collect food stamps are living high on the hog, driving shiny SUV's, wearing fancy clothes, etc.

So what you going to do about it? You did nothing the last time you controlled all three branches of government. You control the house, so what you going to do about it?

I don't know where retards come up with the fantasyland memes, but they got one for every situation. And every situation is about increasing the size of government. Truth is, Retards are just looking for someone weaker than themselves to kick around. These idiots can't tell you how many are on welfare, who the money goes to, where it is spent, how much is spent, why it is fraud, nadda!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-13-2012, 09:34 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,851,786 times
Compared to Haliburtons fraud, Enron, and what the banks profited when taking TARP $$$...
Doesn't sound like 750m is much.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:16 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,108,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Compared to Haliburtons fraud, Enron, and what the banks profited when taking TARP $$$...
Doesn't sound like 750m is much.
$750M is believed to be the tip of the iceburg.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
$1 trillion into Middle East wars. Are you against or are you benefiting?

Food stamps cost so little compared to wars. Over 40 million get food stamps, but we could just let them all die, if we wanted to add 1% to our war budget.

Some only get $1 a day for food stamps. Are they eating too much?
Why are you comparing war spending to food stamps? The US paid $24 dollars for Manhattan. Does that mean the $7.2M we paid for Alaska was a real rip off?

Do you understand that equivocating is not an valid argument?

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-14-2012 at 04:20 AM..

Old 06-13-2012, 10:36 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,752,338 times
Food stamp fraud is disgusting. My wife's in the business and brings home tales that are quite upsetting. The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Food stamps and welfare have a purpose, of course, and the toughest thing is how to evaluate claims to weed out the fraud. In some families (mine for instance), taking welfare of any form was considered extremely shameful. Over my 30+ years of working, I have had a couple unemployment claims, for about 4 months each. I have never taken food stamps or welfare. I am sure that there were numerous times I qualified. It just seemed wrong.

Now, wife tells me of folks driving new cars with kids in private school and expensive homes who home school, etc. Free lance yoga instructors and the like, who refuse to move, and refuse to work full time, or are surfing the trust fund, and expect us to pick up that slack. I am sure that the system could do a better job of weeding out the abject fraud. But WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE! I just think their values must be different than mine. The refuse to tighten their belts, and expect their fellow citizens to fill the gap. It is truly disgusting. They are just like the CEO who give themselves 9 figure bonuses as the drive a company into the ground. No shame at all. Seems like a surprisng number of people at all income levels are closet sociopaths.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:55 PM

Some people on this forum hate anecdotes, but here's a story of food stamp fraud that we experienced just tonight at the grocery store:

A lady approaches us from behind and asks if she can buy our groceries for us using her food stamp card. Undoubtedly she recognized the confused look on our face, so she proceeded to tell us that her husband had just been deported and she became a single mother overnight. She wanted to buy our groceries for us using her food stamp card in return for the cash so that she could buy gas. I very rarely have cash on me, so I wasn't able to help her. However, I told her I didn't feel comfortable taking part in that sheme anyway, and she apologized for breaking the law but said that she really needed gas for her car.

I felt sorry for her, sure, but it's hard for me to stomach outright fraud that we all know is happening on a gargantuan scale across the country.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:02 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,010,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Stop the food stamp program all together. Put together a food bank, that has nutritious foods, fruits veggies, etc etc, and then allow people who need the help, to come and get food. That way the government gets to buy the food in bulk, pay lower prices, and distribute the food to people who need to, cutting out supermarkets making a profit, and cutting out most of the fraud, Unless someone wants to get and sell veggies and hamburger that they just got to feed their own family, it should cut out a lot of the fraud.
Why dont you email your suggestion to all the politicians in washington. I guarantee you it will end up being trashed. Millions of people are on food stamps cause they cant make ends meet including middle class families. Food stamps are not just for the poor esp in this crappy economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies