Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 09:17 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I am sure it would be a "big deal" to many in this country who don't realize they have black ancestry. Make no mistake, there are many. Imagine a member of the KKK or skinhead discovering his or her great-great-grandparent was an African slave. They would probably commit suicide.
No loss there. I'm def white but I DON'T have any use for those of what you just said. Those people I trust Ok. With the business end of a weapon pointed at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 09:40 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
I saw that story and for the life of me I can't understand why it's news. They dug up a couple of people who believed granny was right and they were Portuguese, people who were to lazy to trace their ancestry back to 1700. This info has been out there for quite some time.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:51 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
My family in Kentucky referred to them being mixed European and native american.

Portuguese though? Where and why would they think that? lol.

Looking at the last names of these people....

Perkins - English

Simmerman - German (Probably an Anglicized version of Zimmermann)

Goins - English(?)
What? "Zimmermann" is Hispanic...

Sorry, news bleed-over...

Old 05-26-2012, 06:25 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
Heather Locklear is a Melungeon.

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 05:25 PM..

Old 05-26-2012, 11:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
How can it really matter to someone to find out some far back ancestor was not what her or she thought? You just are what you are.

Even if you have some great great grandparent that was Cherokee and you think Cherokee is okay, that ancestor may have had mixed ancestry because there have been whites, blacks, and Indians in the USA since day one, and you cannot keep people from intermarrying and everything else they do for that many centuries.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:25 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
How can it really matter to someone to find out some far back ancestor was not what her or she thought? You just are what you are.

Even if you have some great great grandparent that was Cherokee and you think Cherokee is okay, that ancestor may have had mixed ancestry because there have been whites, blacks, and Indians in the USA since day one, and you cannot keep people from intermarrying and everything else they do for that many centuries.
Exactly so say one of your 128 ancestors was African but the other 127 were White. How does that change anything?

Old 05-26-2012, 11:26 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Many people have been conditioned to believe that having any African ancestry is the worst thing that could happen to you, and that it makes you inferior.

When the mixing began in the 1600's the Africans weren't slaves, they were indentured servants, as were the Europeans. Over time when slavery was instituted the brainwashing began, which sadly still persists today. Those people have a very rich ethnicity and their ancestors are among the USA's earliest immigrant population.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:38 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Exactly so say one of your 128 ancestors was African but the other 127 were White. How does that change anything?
It really doesn't and I kind of wish Oprah was my mom --- all that money she has.

If you go back far enough and consider how few people once roamed this planet AND they roamed a much narrower area, AND many ancestral lines died out from disease, plus those who survived were more likely "hybrids", there are lots of overlaps in the family trees of many people. It's actually too much inbreeding that is not good.

We all have common ancesters -- way back -- but our own lives today required what ever ancestor we have to have been there.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:48 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It means little or nothing unless looking at possible diseases like Sickle Cell, Tay Sachs and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies