Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 09:51 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
To the benefit of whom?
Yourself, it feels good to do the right thing, doesn't it? Your mother would be proud!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 10:18 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Explain, please.
I really cant explain it anymore simply than what my post said. Why let the actions of some people influence how you treat others. At least on an individual basis. If someone is being rude or ungrateful to you thats on that person and shouldn't affect how you treat others imo.

As far as holding doors and respecting elders and not getting thanks or not being appreciated like you have experienced, I have experienced the opposite.

I wonder if it is the area where you live that accounts for some of the behavior that bothered you? Fast moving big city mentality maybe?

Old 05-25-2012, 10:50 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Yourself, it feels good to do the right thing, doesn't it? Your mother would be proud!
It feels better to get ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Why let the actions of some people influence how you treat others.
Because those some people persist because the others allow it.

Let's call you an actor for good. The some people actors for bad. And the others we'll call sheep.

The sheep "appreciate" that you're nice, but they're moochers: they accept your kindness but make no comparable effort to relay it, and, in fact, they think you owe it to them. And just as they accept your kindness, they accept the degradation from bad actors. The bad actors recognize that you're a submissive, and they take what you offer; they're parasites.

You spend your energy giving to parasites and moochers, and you think that's good? You are funding the bad, but somebody has convinced you that that is good.

One can only focus on one objective at a time. If you're being conscious of opportunities to be courteous, you're not 100% conscious of opportunity to get ahead. Don't you deserve better?

I think whatever radical ideology convinced you that you should behave as you do is the reason our country is in deep: good people are being pimped to scum, so the scum are getting ahead while we're thinking about how to be better people.

Quote:
I wonder if it is the area where you live that accounts for some of the behavior that bothered you? Fast moving big city mentality maybe?
Townies taught me that I've been foolish.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:29 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Im just sick of it all!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-26-2012, 12:29 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,184 times
"How wude" -
Jar Jar Brinks

You biaaatches

Old 05-26-2012, 01:29 AM

870 posts, read 1,569,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Rudeness seems to be status quo in supermarkets lately.

Loud talkers, plus people push and shove, or "bump" you out of the way.

At Kroger last week a 350 lb 6'3 teenager backed into me because he couldnt see he was in a shopping aisle and perhaps other people are shopping???.
(I am a petite female), he almost knocked me over.

Maybe its a regional thing though. I am in NE Tenn for the month. I will add , in this area no one once has held the supermarket door open for me (they let it slam on your face), unless I am with company.
I assume most grocery stores have automatic doors since people are hauling groceries and carts. They don't in NE Tennessee? Weird.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:57 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Two pet peeves of mine are people slamming doors on others right behind the and not giving up seats for the elderly/disabled.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:01 AM

302 posts, read 474,167 times
People who hop the fence to a pool at an apartment complex when they don't live there, and prop the gate open so all their friends can get in. They bring hordes of kids and plop them in the hot tub so no one else can use it, let them run wild screaming and splashing everyone.

People who glare at you when you are in a wheelchair or a motorized scooter like you are inconveniencing them by being handicapped. Or they don't even see you and about run you over.

People who have the bass turned up so loud on their car stereos so that when they pull up beside you it vibrates your car and makes you feel like you chest is going to explode.

Doctors who, when you go to them for help, say "What do you expect me to do about it?"

Old 05-26-2012, 09:39 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
It feels better to get ahead.

Because those some people persist because the others allow it.

Let's call you an actor for good. The some people actors for bad. And the others we'll call sheep.

The sheep "appreciate" that you're nice, but they're moochers: they accept your kindness but make no comparable effort to relay it, and, in fact, they think you owe it to them. And just as they accept your kindness, they accept the degradation from bad actors. The bad actors recognize that you're a submissive, and they take what you offer; they're parasites.

You spend your energy giving to parasites and moochers, and you think that's good? You are funding the bad, but somebody has convinced you that that is good.

One can only focus on one objective at a time. If you're being conscious of opportunities to be courteous, you're not 100% conscious of opportunity to get ahead. Don't you deserve better?

I think whatever radical ideology convinced you that you should behave as you do is the reason our country is in deep: good people are being pimped to scum, so the scum are getting ahead while we're thinking about how to be better people.

Townies taught me that I've been foolish.
Good manners and not being rude should be habits that require no conscious thought. I would disagree that people are too focused on being better people. It is quite the opposite, people are focused on themselves. You hold open a door for someone and they don't say thank you; therefore, you should never hold the door open for someone else? I don't get the logic.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:07 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,020 times
The uneducated in manner masses of America .... They are stupid and serve only to support those of us who own businesses. Thank you rude american, now get back to your pathetic job and meaningless existence, I'm trying to enjoy the spoils of my success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies