Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 02:37 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Frankly, I find it very sad that this even needs to be explained.
And I find it sad that this theory is blindly accepted by practically everyone. Nobody is disputing the effects of racism etc. but to make it out to be the sole issue is a blatant falsehood.

Just a couple posts above you can follow the link there and read about Dunbar high school. This is one of numerous examples of the complete disconnect between the oppression you speak of and the issues in question. There a number of statistics that will bear this out. Take for example the massive increase in crime, out of wedlock birth rates, immediately after the civil rights act. Between ~1950 and ~1990, as America became substantially less racist, the internal state of the black community declined horribly.

Your theory does not hold water.

And as I said, examining the root cause is pointless if not used to enhance progress. And if you think that simply eliminating the type of racism you speak of will just solve these problems completely, you're nuts.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:38 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Those factors, along with others, created a dysfunctional culture.
This is what I have been trying to say. People blame the culture. Fair enough. However, people don't ever ask where the culture came from, how it developed,why it developed. No one ever questions the FACTORS that can create a culture that is dysfunctional. No one asks because no one feels they have to. No one wants to confront that. I'm not excusing dysfunctional behavior. I don't excuse it. I say "if you do the crime, you do the time". If you don't take education seriously, you will get into some problems surviving. What I'm trying to convey is that in order for a culture to change, one has to know where those dysfunctions came from, and work to change for the better. It is like an alcoholic who has been drinking. Yes, that alcoholic needs to stop drinking. However, it isn't as simple as cold turkey. One has to detox. One has to know what triggers the drinking, and look for solutions to stop drinking.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:43 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Of course, that sense of themselves is part of their culture.
No, it's not about culture, it's all about psychology, a sense of well-being, self-esteem, a sense of knowing one can meet any goal one sets for oneself without others putting obstacles in the way, a sense of wholeness and equality with others, a psychological strength. That has nothing to do with culture.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:44 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,419,137 times
The same reason Asians outperform most Americans. There are exceptions to every rule.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:45 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post

Just a couple posts above you can follow the link there and read about Dunbar high school. This is one of numerous examples of the complete disconnect between the oppression you speak of and the issues in question. There a number of statistics that will bear this out. Take for example the massive increase in crime, out of wedlock birth rates, immediately after the civil rights act. Between ~1950 and ~1990, as America became substantially less racist, the internal state of the black community declined horribly.

Your theory does not hold water.

And as I said, examining the root cause is pointless if not used to enhance progress. And if you think that simply eliminating the type of racism you speak of will just solve these problems completely, you're nuts.
Passage of the Civil Rights act didn't magically transform society and like a magic wand, make racism disappear. This is simplistic thinking. Magical thinking, even.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:48 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,268 times
Quote:
Passage of the Civil Rights act didn't magically transform society and like a magic wand, make racism disappear. This is simplistic thinking. Magical thinking, even.
Seriously? That was not my point...

Did it make things worse? Yes or no?

Old 05-26-2012, 02:48 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,143,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
the foreign blacks haven't been indoctrinated with "the man gonna keep you down" .
+1

Old 05-26-2012, 02:52 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times
Quote:
No, it's not about culture, it's all about psychology, a sense of well-being, self-esteem, a sense of knowing one can meet any goal one sets for oneself without others putting obstacles in the way, a sense of wholeness and equality with others, a psychological strength. That has nothing to do with culture.
LOL you can't be serious all of the things you mention comes from family, culture and the individual.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:53 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,143,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Who has more rich and powerful? Ghana or the Country of African America?
There's a country called Africa America? Never herd of it, can you locate that on the map for me?

Old 05-26-2012, 03:04 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Take for example the massive increase in crime, out of wedlock birth rates, immediately after the civil rights act. Between ~1950 and ~1990, as America became substantially less racist, the internal state of the black community declined horribly.
These are some of the facts we need to look at and ask ourselves why. What you see is that the white bastardization and black bastardization rate both nearly tripled from 1965 to 2000. The white bastardization rate started at 8% while the black rate after centuries of indentured servitude, slavery and Jim Crow was about 24%, now the rates are about 25% and 70%. What factors led to this? IMO, welfare subsidation of bastards, the sexual revolution and women having more opportunities in the workplace are all factors. The first factor is the only one government should do something about.

In the late 60's the war on drugs also began. Like prohibition before it the drug war has had a negative effect on society at large and caused even greater harm among minority communities. Those who historically have been discriminated against in the workplace are more attracted to the black market. The drug war is inherently racist. By and large, it is black market drugs creating the chaos in our urban cities and other nations.

Much of the deterioration of urban culture in the last 40 years have been caused by well-intentioned efforts of our federal, state and local governments. The road to hell is often paved with good intentions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies