Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 07:17 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
You need to start hanging around with different people. That way of looking at the world is no better than what they claim to be protesting against.
I would suspect that he is already hanging around with "different people." He doesn't sound much like a liberal to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Sounds like your typical ultra liberal white hating BS...

I know history... of course I, on some level have been influenced by history... hence my comment about being out of white guilt. I wasn't there.. I didn't commit those atrocities.....

Its the same argument that if I saw a black man being beaten on the street... of course its bad.. but as a white man am I supposed to feel bad that a white guy beat up a black guy. No, I feel bad that something happened to another person, but I shouldn't sulk around like I personally did something wrong, just because I happen to share the same pigmentation........
Who said liberals "sulk around"?

Maybe you personally did not commit those atrocities, but your relatives did, and it's really about the continued consequences for many black people of that previous behavior by white people which continues even today.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:25 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Not all white people but the white male value system which did not include putting people in power positions such as blacks, latinos, women and other minorities.

Weren't the Kennedys Irish?
Is Obama part Black? Hispanic ain't a race. Some anglos were of Spanish family like Farragut. I'm saying "unwanted" groups of people have reached for and grabbed the gold ring of life here in the US.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:

Maybe you personally did not commit those atrocities, but your relatives did, and it's really about the continued consequences for many black people of that previous behavior by white people which continues even today.
Is YOUR family "clean"? I'm NOT responsible for what my "shanty Irish" people did like drinking, fighting, setting fires and so on cause I ain't that way.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Sorry but there was no group in the United States treated a bad as black people NONE. I don't recall any laws denying the Irish, Italians, Jews, or Germans the right to vote or hold polticial office simply because they were Irish, Italians, Jews, or Germans. I also challenge you to find a law the forbade any of these ethnic groups to marry one another simply based on their ethnicity of national origin.

And can you explain to me where all those German, Irish, Jewish, and Italian slaves went after the Civil War?

In fact Irish, Italian and other immigrants were brought to this country and in many cases they displaced Black workers. They quickly gained an understanding of the social system and actively discriminated against Black Americans who they saw as a source of labor competition.
No group treating Black people bad? Look around the hood and you have your answer. It ain't white people offing most Blacks in 2012: it's other Blacks.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:34 PM

52,262 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:

If you're human... your familiy lineage isn't sparkling clean either... so step off of the soapbox on that deal.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Is YOUR family "clean"? I'm NOT responsible for what my "shanty Irish" people did like drinking, fighting, setting fires and so on cause I ain't that way.
True.... I come from a long lineage of Irish hooligans......

Old 05-26-2012, 07:35 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
I will NEVER join the GOP but I think we need to put it in context. Black people were sold into slavery by other black people. The Chinook tribe in Oregon/Washington kept slaves. As for founding mothers, what about Betsy Ross? She's pretty admired. I don't think women are oppressed, I think they are simply biologically less inclined to be egotistical/make a name for themselves. It's not because men are 'keeping them down'.
Blasphemy!

The moonbats will disown you!

Old 05-26-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Is Obama part Black? Hispanic ain't a race. Some anglos were of Spanish family like Farragut. I'm saying "unwanted" groups of people have reached for and grabbed the gold ring of life here in the US.
Obama is "recently".........take a look at history.

We're talking about the white male value system, which is actually still controlling today, but changing somewhat because of the demographic changes taking place in this country.

For example, how many non-white, non-males have been President?

Old 05-26-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
If you're human... your familiy lineage isn't sparkling clean either... so step off of the soapbox on that deal.......

True.... I come from a long lineage of Irish hooligans......
In fact, one set of my grandparents were Irish. I still understand that my relatives certainly played a part in oppressing black people in this country and that that behavior still has an impact today.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:42 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,439 times
Quote:
Would you apply that to Native American who tend to think in terms of 7 generations ahead regarding what they do during their lives?

I"m a liberal. I'm not self-loathing, never have been. I don't know what "white guilt" is.....and I am capable of understanding how the actions and behavior of those generations preceding me certainly does have an effect on people living today. Sorry you're so short-sighted.
If living in the present and looking towards the future rather then agonizing over past actions I had nothing to do with and not seeing everyone else as a category and a label is short-sighted then guilty as charged.

Good on you for not being full of self-loathing and guilt, you're one of the few libs free of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies