Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2012, 07:02 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The truth of religion has nothing to do with the fact it was primarily Christians who ended slavery in the West and greatly diminished it worldwide while the atheists were twiddling their thumbs.
Like you said earlier, 90% of the folks were Christians anyway. So why does that matter? Oh but in THIS case, now it matters, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Well it's a mixed bag, I will concede that. Like I posted before the mere fact that there is a 'white Christianity' and 'black Christianity' is enough to convince me that Christianity itself is man-made, not God made. And the colonists who came here from Britain were all devout, yet they arrived in 1607 and by 1619 bought their first slaves (to work their tobacco fields, no less).

But still I think it was 'in spite' not 'because.' Slavery was universal BC, and had nothing to do with race by the way. The word 'slave' of course derives from 'slavic,' who are of course some of the whitest people there are.
Understood. You're mostly right.

But again, i don't care about the whole "universal" thing. I care about how Christianity was used here. And the record indicates that the Christian faith was tailored for the benefit of white people to the detriment of everyone else, especially Native Americans. I simply can't see it any other way.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You are not reading. There were Christians that supported slavery and Christians who opposed it. The Christians who opposed slavery ultimately won.
Again, you're stretching. They didn't win because they were right on the issue. They won because of a Union Army of the United States that went to war to save this country from breaking apart. They didn't have that war to free slaves.

Moreover, the most devoutly Christian area of this country was and is the South, who lost that war. And they simply cranked up for another 100 years of Jim Crow after losing the war.

So please, tell the whole truth.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:19 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Most of the militant atheists simply believe they are smarter than everybody else and can't fathom the prospect that there is anything smarter than them thus the hatred of a God. It's pretty simplistic thinking which goes on par with most militant atheists. Lot of folks don't believe in God they don't have to run around and try and make fun of those that do. The militant atheists on the other hand ridicule everything to try and make themselves feel superior when in fact they are usually idiots. Couple of examples right here in this thread. Funny how you don't find many atheists on death row though.
Most of the Christians simply believe they are better than everybody else and can't fathom anything deeper than a belief in a Made Up Magic Man .

Lot of folk believe in this magic man and call people who don't believe in him idiots. It's pretty simplistic and lazy thinking.

The Christians on the other hand ridicule everything to try and make themselves feel superior when in fact they are usually just desperate.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:27 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,475 times
Thank you! CD posters are beyond obsessed with 12% of the population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Doesn't matter. If that's what black folks want to do, then they should do it. They aren't worrying about your problems, so don't worry about theirs. Worry about your own faith.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:48 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darwinian Evolution was/is used to describe the REAL origin of species. It actually clearly illustrates that skin color is only circumstantial. Religion was used to justify slavery....How about some New Testament slavery?

"Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them." (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)
Times were different then...slavery too was more like a servant/master relationship. The NT never explicitly said the slavery was right or moral - it just encouraged early Christians to put up with oppression because there was little they could do to change it, as it was not God's plan. I do concede that the NT may have sort of condoned slavery, but again it was a bit different to the black slavery in America.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
MLK rose because of his civil rights actions not the church. At that time the church was the only place blacks had to freely congregate. That's why much of the old power structure in the black community consisted of clergy. Also, slaves were Christian because it was whipped into them and they native culture whipped out of them. If America as a whole was Christian, why was there slavery in the first place if xians were against it. That makes no sense.
Well the black Church was the only organization as well organized and mobilized to be able to rally up support for Civil Rights. MLK was personally inspired by the trials of the Israelites in the struggle for freedom for his own people. Just because white Christians abused it doesn't change that.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So tell me about your belief in the non belief of all the things you don't believe in...Please go into detail... Not true at all, I likely know more about gods and their origins than you do...Non belief does not equal ignorance in any way....Most atheists come from religious backgrounds, and like myself left after seeking answers to questions that their pastors and priests were unable or unwilling to answer, so we researched elsewhere, and still found no answers that made any sense. There are some naturally atheistic tribes in South America, but people raised without myths is very rare...
I didn't mean non-belief = ignorance. I mean to truly have 'no belief' one would have to have never heard of this idea of God. Atheism is a belief that there is no being/consciousness sustaining the Universe. It is a minority among human beings.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:54 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Good for them.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:58 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Like you said earlier, 90% of the folks were Christians anyway. So why does that matter? Oh but in THIS case, now it matters, huh?

Because in the non-Christian world slavery largely remained intact until the West put a stop to most of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies