Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 12:15 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times

Advertisements

If Maher wanted something to mock he could hold up a mirror to see his ugly face or listen to his own hate speech filled with ignorance and bigotry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 08:35 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post

I did think it was clever, but really not that funny.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:37 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Did the people screaming religious bigotry actually watch the video? Maher is using his imaginary wifer controversy to comment on the absurdity of what is, in fact, the imaginary birther controversy. He is also critiquing the media for the continued attention it gives the birthers. It's just as absurd to assert that Romney has a harem of wives, just because he is Mormon, as it is to assert that Obama is really from Kenya, just because his father was born there.
I have a feeling that even if they did watch it, it flew right over their little pointed heads.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:40 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,203 times
Amazing how stating a fact about a religion has magically become intolerant bigotry. I wonder if those that claim Maher is intolerant in this case would say the same about Muslim religious law that allows grown men to marry 5 year olds.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:45 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, I'll tell you where it didn't come from -- reality.

Ah... "Big Love"... my favorite show. Too bad it finally ended. I don't know if you watched it or not, but the polygamist family depicted were not members of the same church Mitt Romney belongs to, and that was made quite clear from the outset. Ditto with "Sister Wives" (it's not "Sister Love," by the way). The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints banned polygamy 122 years ago. Today, there is no faster way for a member of the LDS Church to get himself excommunicated than to be found in a polygamous relationship. There are no extenuating circumstances.

The only reason that bigamy laws are not more strictly enforced in Utah (or anywhere else, for that matter) than they are is that it's a very difficult thing to prove. How do you prove that a man is "married" to three different women in three separate households or just taking turns co-habitating with them? Only the first marriage would have been legally performed in most cases, so technically you have a man married to one woman and living with two or three women, sleeping with them, having children with them and (sometimes but not always) supporting all of them without relying on government welfare.
You seem to be implying that there isn't thousands, maybe tens of thousands, of Utah multi wife "families" hiding in plan sight. Sister wives is a real MORMAN family living in Utah. Only one??? Doubt it.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:05 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Religious bigotry from the "tolerant" left. How fitting.
Maybe you should actually watch the video. It's satire, mimicking the inane "arguments" of the birther movement. It has nothing to do with religion per se. Perhaps if you weren't always so certain of seeing religious intolerance anytime anyone criticizes Romney you would have gotten that.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:21 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
That skit was horrible and his comedy writers should be fired!
But i understand were he was going with it.
The birthers are one of the the sole reasons I'm an independent.
If you think that skit was stupid,that's how you birthers look an act.
Stupid!

Old 05-28-2012, 10:34 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Who, in all the world, cares in the slightest what Bill Maher thinks about anything?

More folks than all of Donald Trump's true believers.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:37 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
It does bring up questions when, on his marriage certificate, Ann Romney is listed as "spouse," not "only spouse."

Old 05-28-2012, 10:47 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
That skit was horrible and his comedy writers should be fired!
But i understand were he was going with it.
The birthers are one of the the sole reasons I'm an independent.
If you think that skit was stupid,that's how you birthers look an act.
Stupid!
I agree, it wasn't a funny or particularly well written piece. But as anyone who has watched the birthers over the last three years will attest, they truly are as idiotic as Mahr's satire shows them to be.

And how has Romney responded to birthers? He gives a typical milquetoast reply about not giving the controversy any credence, but his actions tell a different story.

Instead of condemning birthers, he schedules a fundraiser with Donald Trump, birther extraordinaire. In response to Trump's continuing birthing, we get nothing but silence from Romney.

And he does or says nothing when Ken Bennett, the co-chair of the Romney campaign in Arizona, who also happens to be the Arizona Secretary of State, goes birthing and attempts to have Obama removed from the state ballot. Just let that sink in for a moment--an elected state official who is Romney's campaign co-chair in the state tried to get Romney's opponent removed from the ballot. Is Bennett going to demand the same documentation from Romney? I think we all know the answer to that.

Romney is playing footsies with the birthers. He deserves whatever fallout he gets. I hope it's swift and harsh.

Last edited by HeyJude514; 05-28-2012 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies