Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 04:51 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Only when people smarten up and realize what the universities are up to and stop allowing themselves to be duped.

A college education was not originally supposed to just be like a trade school to get you a job. It was supposed to just mean you were "educated".

The universities caught onto the idea that idiots would mortgage their very homes and take on impossible debt for the status symbol of college but also because they were claiming that everyone going to college was guaranteed a job with a very high salary.

The universities of course began to eliminate all admission standards and rake in what seemed to be unlimited money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 05:09 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,355 times
So many school popping up left and right offering degrees in this and that field. Government stayed out the way because the right would probably get mad and call it anti-capitalism or some anti government thing.

Shat will soon hit the fan when the bubble pops and all those kids are under bad credit, then the economy will sink when the fashion mobiles have no one to advertise too since the young kids can't use credit anymore.

The old folks who whine, government this and that aren't buying at all, they're too cheap to spend money, it's the younger generation that buys crap they don't need which helps the economy.

Shat will hit the fan soon and I actually want Romney to be in office when it happens, Obama will get too much racism thrown his way if it happens under his watch.

Since you don't want to regulate you reap what you sow, these kids ain't paying back what they can't afford.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
So many school popping up left and right offering degrees in this and that field. Government stayed out the way because the right would probably get mad and call it anti-capitalism or some anti government thing.

Shat will soon hit the fan when the bubble pops and all those kids are under bad credit, then the economy will sink when the fashion mobiles have no one to advertise too since the young kids can't use credit anymore.

The old folks who whine, government this and that aren't buying at all, they're too cheap to spend money, it's the younger generation that buys crap they don't need which helps the economy.

Shat will hit the fan soon and I actually want Romney to be in office when it happens, Obama will get too much racism thrown his way if it happens under his watch.

Since you don't want to regulate you reap what you sow, these kids ain't paying back what they can't afford.
The only reason so many went to college was that admission requirements were dropped or eliminated altogether. There was a time when not everyone could even get into college.

And yes, you sure don't see the younger generation hesitant to buy anything. They don't even blink an eye over $400 Britney Spears or Lady Gaga concert tickets, $150 cell phone payments -- gotta have the unlimited text plans of course. Or a $600 game player.

They expect their college free however.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:23 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,733,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Only when people smarten up and realize what the universities are up to and stop allowing themselves to be duped.

A college education was not originally supposed to just be like a trade school to get you a job. It was supposed to just mean you were "educated".

The universities caught onto the idea that idiots would mortgage their very homes and take on impossible debt for the status symbol of college but also because they were claiming that everyone going to college was guaranteed a job with a very high salary.

The universities of course began to eliminate all admission standards and rake in what seemed to be unlimited money.
I am completely and sincerely shocked that, given the past few years, there is no change in this attitude. Knowing the debt-load of those who came before them, and knowing and living through what happened in the economy, how can there not be a change in this mentality? What is it going to take?

Old 05-27-2012, 05:26 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The only reason so many went to college was that admission requirements were dropped or eliminated altogether. There was a time when not everyone could even get into college.

And yes, you sure don't see the younger generation hesitant to buy anything. They don't even blink an eye over $400 Britney Spears or Lady Gaga concert tickets, $150 cell phone payments -- gotta have the unlimited text plans of course. Or a $600 game player.

They expect their college free however.
No, they went to college because we're told it's the only way to get jobs, it's not easy getting a $10,000 loan without a solid credit history as well as a history of making a decent salary. If you made $8.00 dollars a hour your whole life, you won't be approved for a big loan to start a business.

Another one of the failed thought processes among the "hard working" right, get a grip.

College is the key to get a decent salary in America, not everyone can do trades/ manual labor positions.

I have sickle cell beta thallesmia, I cannot do physical work, I will end up witha crisis and get very ill.

The real issue is overpopulation... too many people, not enough jobs... and outsourcing... which is still a big issue.

I think it's gonna get real nasty soon, I give it a couple more years... I think we're gonna see some major changes.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:53 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
"Caribbean Pygmy, Eskimo Gender or theater studies"

Its worse than that. I have a business degree and have not been able to find work since graduation last December. lol.
I have to feel really sorry for you but wonder how many people will see what the man said as just a bit on the sarcastic side. It is well known that too many are like you and many with really "valuable" degrees are in the same boat where they should be.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
That sounds like the usual retort put forward by people who don't understand college and often are jealous as they couldn't go.

That theatre studies major would know how to think critically, do pure research, write effectively and defend their own ideas. The business schools are now in a rush to try to incorporate some of these things as they've largely been pumping out people who couldn't think their way out of a paper bag.

The problem with graduates right now is the economy and increasing cost of education.

Dear Roysoldboy,

You created a duplicate thread.
Yeah, but I had a lot of fun doing it and maybe more people will see the story by me doing so.

I think that you need to read the post before yours where the poster mentioned that he had a business degree and hadn't been able to get a job since December. Does it seem that he is jealous or couldn't even go to college.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
No, they went to college because we're told it's the only way to get jobs, it's not easy getting a $10,000 loan without a solid credit history as well as a history of making a decent salary. If you made $8.00 dollars a hour your whole life, you won't be approved for a big loan to start a business.

Another one of the failed thought processes among the "hard working" right, get a grip.

College is the key to get a decent salary in America, not everyone can do trades/ manual labor positions.

I have sickle cell beta thallesmia, I cannot do physical work, I will end up witha crisis and get very ill.

The real issue is overpopulation... too many people, not enough jobs... and outsourcing... which is still a big issue.

I think it's gonna get real nasty soon, I give it a couple more years... I think we're gonna see some major changes.
Yes, they lied to you. College was never the only way to get jobs. In fact college wasn't originally supposed to be a trade school where people went because they needed jobs.

For a while college meant one was educated and it might get one a better job for being educated but more and more the universities saw the big easy money in it.

The university here has a 60% remedial rate -- meaning it competes with the community college for applicants. No admission standards, but they gladly put out the misinformation that simply getting a degree will guarantee someone a good high paying job. Complete lack of ethics.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
I actually have two degrees, since you took it that point. I pose a question for you: why are college costs rising? A good reason is more and more kids are being pushed into college for social status, not for expanding their minds. I started college in 1998 and 14 years later, at the same college, the enrollment has dramatically increased even when more and more graduates are not finding work. Very logical.
I am sure that many here don't know the situation that existed in the 50s in this country. Back then on the east coast you expected to attend a private school unless your parents couldn't afford to pay the way. The church supported schools in Kansas were full of kids who could tell their friends that they had been accepted to a private school although very many of those schools just weren't very well able to do very much good. I am sure that few of those people are still pulling that kind of trick and most of those private schools have withered and died.

I attended one of those schools one semester and then went to a state school for all the rest of my work. BS and MS at state supported schools and then many summer hours at state supported schools. Of course, that was in the 50s and 60s.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:20 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Quote:
There is a reason why people with degrees in those majors can't find jobs.
Actually, the unemployment rates among new grads in "STEM" fields are also fairly bad. New mechanical engineering grads have an unemployment rate of around 9%, and an underemployment rate higher than that.

It's a popular meme to think that new college grads are unemployed because they all majored in something "useless," but actually, that's not the case.

Also, some "good" degrees are not that useful anymore unless the student has very above-average aptitude which would allow for high performance at the graduate level. For example, "mathematics" - an undergrad degree in mathematics won't get you an automatic pensioned job at a big corporation like it did in the 1960's.

You'd need to be good enough at math to continue to the graduate and doctoral levels, which is something that most people simply cannot do. Doctoral candidates in mathematics at reputable universities are largely drawn from the pool of people who are 3 or more standard deviations above the mean on math tests. Which, by definition, is something that most people can never achieve no matter how much they study or how hard they try.

I think it's a defensive mechanism against fear, more than anything else. It's disturbing to watch a conveyor belt of new graduates fall into a pit of unemployment and underemployment in a way that previous generations of college grads never faced.

Rather than contemplating longer-term structural issues with the economy that will have to be dealt with (the elimination of human labor via automation, for example), it's easier and more comforting to assume that those grads must have screwed up somewhere along the line, and their fate is their fault. It eliminates the need to think about difficult issues with no easy resolutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies