Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 10:17 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,733,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Oh please everything is Obama's fault. Can you please explain this
Obama welfare banner
It's more than party affiliation but you're getting warm. Public education isn't just about learning, it is a function of social welfare. This time, it's a twist of irony. Education was touted, only it didn't work and made some of these people poorer than before, and not any smarter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 10:18 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
College financing is hitherto this campaign's central welfare offer. Last campaign it was Obamacare.
What welfare are you talking about for college students

Old 05-27-2012, 10:26 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,487 times
Quote:
Expansion of federally funded scholarships.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:32 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,733,370 times
Quote:
Easy. Federally-backed student loans. That is, of course, not only the reason for this thread, but the reason for the "student-loan crisis."

Old 05-27-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Expansion of federally funded scholarships.
Ok so federally funded scholarships have been around for quite some time now but you have a problem with Obama expanding it. Scholarships go to the best of the best. What problem do you have with this.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Scholarships go to the best of the best.
No, they don't. They go to the people who get their papers in fastest.

Obama wants an enormous expansion of that give-away.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
No, they don't. They go to the people who get their papers in fastest.

Obama wants an enormous expansion of that give-away.
Do you have kids in college because that is not the way it works. Getting your papers in faster...... Sorry, that means nothing. You have to work for your acceptance and there is nothing Obama can do about it.
So could you please explain what you mean about...getting your papers in faster and what the give away is to that. Thanks, I appreciate it

Old 05-27-2012, 10:48 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Never been in theater have you? Nope.

Try figuring out to build a set and design costumes on a shoe-string budget.

I did that for 4 years. A lot of fun. A dozen or more people sitting around brain-storming and racking their heads for ideas. You learn a lot, and you'd be surprised at how creative people can be.

I'd slash education budgets, fired school administrators and put theater people in charge.

I bet they come up with something better than the crap you got now.

Challenging...

Mircea

Mircea is correct. I come from a similarly rare occupation a Physical Scientist. The American Physical Society has a membership of 58,000 and less than 2% of APS members have the distinction of being a fellow of the APS. In otherwords a physicist who has either created real lasting physical knowledge or has mastered that rare art of convincing the rest of you to hand over endless streams of money so we can do these things no one has a chance of understanding why we must do it to begin with. Each year only about 2500 to 3000 earn the Ph.D. in physics or astronomy in this nation of 330 million so you can see how rare and unlikely any one American has the talent brainpower or just plain determination to see things through to earning this degree! In my high school graduating class of about 450 I was the ony one! Now I remember a conversation at a lunch meeting some 20 years ago where the consensus was that if the total population of physiscists was reduced to 250 that if one chose the right people the rate of progess and advancement in physics would not be affected at all since these are the best of the best and the ones that are the real artists who create all our knowledge. The people our children's children's children will remeber after we are long gone from this world.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Getting your papers in faster...... Sorry, that means nothing. You have to work for your acceptance and there is nothing Obama can do about it.
You are confusing federal scholarships that Obama is talking about with private scholarships.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
You are confusing federal scholarships that Obama is talking about with private scholarships.
Ok fine, then explain the difference to me. I was only going by what you posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies