Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 07:20 AM

566 posts, read 958,003 times

Advertisements

People who graduated from good colleges end up with decent jobs. I don't know anyone who attended a good college/university (as in top 50) who's had major problems finding work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 08:01 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
What was you major?
business adminstration: marketing with a minor in fashion apparel design (don't judge that minor, i loved it, if i knew i was going to be unemployed anyway i would have majored in it, at least i would have liked college)

Old 05-28-2012, 08:41 AM

370 posts, read 440,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
As a hiring official, I would not hire you with a sketchy employment history.
If I'm going to train you, I want to keep you and there are lots of resumes that show a good working history.
I'm usually looking for reasons to eliminate and sadly, that would do it for me.

I had a hard time getting a teaching job in the 70s.
So that's a specific case for your mother, not everyone. Did they know someone?

There are also a lot more people on this earth looking for the same job you are, the population has exploded.

The best advice I can give is to get a job and keep it for a year.

Didn't mean to rep you. Actually your advice is kind of a catch 22 don't you think? How can he get a job to keep for a year if no one will hire him?

Awful advice, and youre a hiring manager?? Wow talk about incompetent

Old 05-28-2012, 08:58 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,821,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Ok fine, then explain the difference to me. I was only going by what you posted.
You have a problem with a false sense of authority.

Quote:
My degree is in English Education.
I work as a business manager. Business is much easier, for me.
You have a degree in English Education but don't know how to use a comma?

Old 05-28-2012, 10:28 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,781,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
People who graduated from good colleges end up with decent jobs. I don't know anyone who attended a good college/university (as in top 50) who's had major problems finding work.
So people aren't smart enough and have enough financial help shouldn't attend college all together? What about all those schools popping up left and right?

It's two sides to the story, you can't just focus on the "people" for making dumb choices, you have to put a little blame into the "profit based" business model that fuels America, this time around it just simply failed and without the government putting down stricter requirements they get away with murder.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:49 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyne View Post
Didn't mean to rep you. Actually your advice is kind of a catch 22 don't you think? How can he get a job to keep for a year if no one will hire him?

Oh for ford's sake.
I'm sure he's applying for jobs within his field.
He has no experience in his field and a sketchy work history.

Any job for a period of time is better than several jobs with lengthy unemployed periods in between.
I'd rather see no job than many in a short period of time or with long breaks in between.
That's the part that would eliminate someone from my list.

If you have 50-100 resumes for one job opening, you look for reasons to narrow the field.

Remember, the people looking at your resume don't know you.
They only know what you put on paper.

Why would an employer risk training someone if they had no guarantee that the employee would stick around?

He got his foot in the door with a degree, now he needs to present himself as someone who would be worth training and stick around.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:34 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Oh for ford's sake.
I'm sure he's applying for jobs within his field.
He has no experience in his field and a sketchy work history.

Any job for a period of time is better than several jobs with lengthy unemployed periods in between.
I'd rather see no job than many in a short period of time or with long breaks in between.
That's the part that would eliminate someone from my list.

If you have 50-100 resumes for one job opening, you look for reasons to narrow the field.

Remember, the people looking at your resume don't know you.
They only know what you put on paper.

Why would an employer risk training someone if they had no guarantee that the employee would stick around?

He got his foot in the door with a degree, now he needs to present himself as someone who would be worth training and stick around.

Yes, like it or not, someone working as a job interviewer or in a hiring position does not have the luxury of hiring because they feel sorry for someone.

You're obligated to find someone who will most likely work out, show up, be trainable, have enough skills and aptitude for the job you're filling.

If you get it wrong too many times, your own job will be gone. Or if they allow you to really mess up and hire many incompetent types, then the whole business will go under.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:25 PM

3,524 posts, read 3,728,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
That's more to malamute's point in post #11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
A college education was not originally supposed to just be like a trade school to get you a job. It was supposed to just mean you were "educated".

The universities...were claiming that everyone going to college was guaranteed a job with a very high salary.

The universities of course began to eliminate all admission standards and rake in what seemed to be unlimited money.
So, those who were already top 50 material weren't going to be affected by the lowering of standards. Also, a lot is made about the outstanding student-loan debt and the rising student-loan default rate. While not very appealing, it also doesn't account for those who could pay more on their bills but aren't, and those who do go on to find decent careers. The trillion dollar amount, however, is still a travesty.

I don't want to plug the company but there is a recent commercial for an online school with an actress from a popular '90s TV show. It's almost sickening how it is sold, like what they are selling is "fun," or "easy." Tens of thousands of dollars in loans for junk schools like that.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:01 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyne View Post

Welcome to 21st Century America. This is where we are headed, with a growing permanent underclass of unhirables.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:53 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
Doing OK as a Carpenter so far.Good trade if your in it hard core. when we all retire soon better learn Spanish to get any work done.The new generation of workers dont want my skilled trade they like cubicles where they produce nothing.Freaking skilled craftsmen are the salt of the earth as we produce a product you can feel see and touch. like farmers we produce products.Your college degrees will become more worthless by the day unless you can force us to use your services through laws,codes and other BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies