Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 02:58 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
It's a bit trite but nonetheless true: united we stand, divided we fall.

From a logical point of view, the land which the United States occupies is valuable and becoming divided would surely lead to be conquered by outside forces.
The official motto of the United States, a part of our official Seal of the United States and all our coinage, is:
E Pluribus Unum

translated from the Latin, it means:
Out Of Many, One

It is the statement for all the many cultures, races and peoples who have all joined together in this country from it's beginning to announce "I am an American" to the rest of the world.

It was adopted by and Act of Congress in 1782. It was first proposed in 1776, before the signing of the Declaration of Independence, and was taken up by some of the colonies before they became states.

This is evidence that the Founding Fathers certainly thought of the United States as indivisible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 07:01 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
I don't see how it's so bad. To be honest, I'm wondering if the Union is better off breaking up simply because the States don't get along anymore. Sure, we could beef up Washington's power over the States even more but that sort of defeats the idea of being a free country (unless that's just a marketing jingle).

Who knows, there might be a revitalization of all the States if that happens. Why do people act like it's Doomsday if secession is even mentioned? Sure, some States will probably end up being dictatorships, if they can even get that right. But I would think that life moves on for 99% of the rest of the people.
Look to the Civil War. No one wants that to happen.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:10 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times
Why do we hate talk of secession? Because we love this country.

I was just thinking of it today. The amazing landscapes of the West, the history of New England, the music and character of the Old South,lovable audacity of Texas and Oklahoma, the Hawaiian Island, Alaska, all the great stories of the folks from native peoples to Jewish, German, Irish, Laotian, Mexican, and all sorts of immigrants. The national parks, the National Mall, all the damn things Woody Guthrie was singing about. Man this is the greatest country in the history of the world. We would not be if we broke up. We'd be the world's biggest failure. We just need to learn a little mutual respect for other states and subcultures. We've done it before. This secession speak is just a bunch of overpoliticized loonies who think the world would be better if folks though just like them. It wouldn't. We are better together. We need to get our **** together and stop whining and commit. Funny that the folks who talk like this are usually the same mouth breathers who call themselves patriots. A true patriot does not pose in a red, white, and blue hat or whine about taxes and caring for others in their country.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:32 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Just as soon as you abandon the Hospital Model and switched to the Clinic Model closing 60% of your hospitals, to be um, (snicker), like Europe, then you might possibly maybe perhaps could afford a single payer healthcare plan.

The reason Europe can afford a single health care plan is because....

...(drum-roll please)...

...they abandoned the Hospital Model and switched to the Clinic Model closing 60% of their hospitals.
Do you REALLY think we will ever change the model of healthcare why the USSA is one country with veto power given to idiots in Redneckistan? Cascadia will have single payer healthcare, as we will create a system like Canada or Northern Europe. We cannot do so with Redneckistam occupying our government and telling us how to live.

Quote:
In Europe? Which Europe would that be? It is illegal in 41 out of 45 European countries.
Netherlands. In Cascadia, from the mayor of Seattle to the average joy on the street of Eugene, most of us want legalized marijuana. However, ever time we talk about it out of state money pours in and cuts us off mid sentence. If and when we have a country of our own we will be able to decide for ourselves what is best for our country, and not have the Feds and their DEA/southern money order us around.

Quote:
Uh, wut?

You have a national bank. You do not call your national bank the National Bank of the United States because that would be an oxymoron.

Why?

Um, read the Constitution. The US is a federation of 50 States, hence anything that is "national" is contradictory, contrary, and anathema to the spirit of federalism.

You call your national bank the Federal Reserve, but you could call it anything you wanted to call it. You could call it "Zynga Ack Ack Blatt" if makes you feel better.

Your national bank called the Federal Reserve does everything that every national bank on Earth does. In fact, there is nothing, and I do mean nothing, that your Federal Reserve does, that other national banks on Earth do not do.
The Federal Reserve is a bunch of private banks, only the biggest, sitting together with Ben Bernanke and making monetary policy. A national bank would be an all public institution that LEANS TO THE PUBLIC, HAS BRANCHES ETC and is a bank owned by the people. Many European countries have national banks as do other countries throughout the world. A national bank would act as a lender of last resort in times of liquidity issues, hence if a private bank fail...oh well, the National Bank lends out while the private sector sorts itself out.

In Cascadia, we will never have "the bailout"

Quote:
No. It's not in the cards (and it would be the best thing for the people of the US).

Tritely...

Mircea

Quote:
Unbreakable Union of freeborn Republics,
Great Russia has welded forever to stand.
Created in struggle by will of the people,
United and mighty, our Soviet land!
-First lines of the Soviet National Anthem

It wasn't in the cards for them to break apart neither. Now, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Armenia, Ukraine etc are free and have their self determination. Sooner or later, the American Empire, with its illusion of "states rights" will fall and Cascadia and the other nations, too, will have their self determination.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Look to the Civil War. No one wants that to happen.

Look at the Nazi annexation of Austria...everyone is okay with that happening?

The Feds are now in Washington State raiding our medical marijuana dispenseries and arresting cancer patients...some "land or the free" we got here, where a leader 3,000 miles away can send his thugs in to step on our rights.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The official motto of the United States, a part of our official Seal of the United States and all our coinage, is:
E Pluribus Unum

translated from the Latin, it means:
Out Of Many, One

Quote:
Unbreakable Union of freeborn Republics,
Great Russia has welded forever to stand.
Created in struggle by will of the people,
United and mighty, our Soviet land!
-The first lines of the Soviet National anthem.

You can use whatever crappy slogans you want, but it doesn't mean it is the truth. Oh, and those slogans referred only the the thirteen colonies, not the post-Manifest Destiny Empire we live in today

Quote:

It is the statement for all the many cultures, races and peoples who have all joined together in this country from it's beginning to announce "I am an American" to the rest of the world.
More like forced at gun point to do so. The US and Canada share the same continent...should we announce "I am a North American" too?

Quote:
It was adopted by and Act of Congress in 1782. It was first proposed in 1776, before the signing of the Declaration of Independence, and was taken up by some of the colonies before they became states.
My home nation was not a part of that signing, hence it is irrelevant.

Quote:

This is evidence that the Founding Fathers certainly thought of the United States as indivisible.

That is absolute BS. Jefferson himself wanted Cascadia to be independent:

"the germ of a great, free, and independent empire on that side of our continent, and that liberty and self-government spreading from that as well as from this side, will insure their complete establishment over the whole."-Jefferson, speaking about the first American-owned settlement in Cascadia, Fort Astoria.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Why do we hate talk of secession? Because we love this country.

I was just thinking of it today. The amazing landscapes of the West, the history of New England, the music and character of the Old South,lovable audacity of Texas and Oklahoma, the Hawaiian Island, Alaska, all the great stories of the folks from native peoples to Jewish, German, Irish, Laotian, Mexican, and all sorts of immigrants. The national parks, the National Mall, all the damn things Woody Guthrie was singing about.
Woody Guthrie was also a hardcore leftist whom the people of the modern South, Midwest and South West would hate and Fox news would condemn.

Quote:
Man this is the greatest country in the history of the world. We would not be if we broke up. We'd be the world's biggest failure.
People said that about the British Empire.

Quote:
We just need to learn a little mutual respect for other states and subcultures. We've done it before. This secession speak is just a bunch of overpoliticized loonies who think the world would be better if folks though just like them. It wouldn't. We are better together. We need to get our **** together and stop whining and commit.
We never got along, and we are only now starting to understand that. Sorry, but with only a handful of Senators and congressmen we in the PNW can't make our voices heard in Imperial politics as long as we have to share a government with hundreds of Redneckistanis who do not share our values.

People go on and on about "San Fransisco blah blah" and how evil it is...yet they don't want "liberal San Fransisco" and the rest of the left coast and New England to go on their own! What do the Rednecks want? They sure as hell are not going to force us to dance to their bible-thumping drums, but they try to all the time. The answer is simple: let people run themselves and their own countries as they see fit. Dixie for the Southerners, New England for the New Englanders, Cascadia for Cascadians.

Quote:
Funny that the folks who talk like this are usually the same mouth breathers who call themselves patriots. A true patriot does not pose in a red, white, and blue hat or whine about taxes and caring for others in their country.
America has served its purpose and it is time we moved on. I am a Patriot...of Cascadia. I have NOTHING IN COMMON with Alabamians or Texans. I am proud to say: TO HELL WITH THE RED WHITE AND BLUE! I am proud of the BLUE, WHITE AND GREEN!

Old 06-04-2012, 05:50 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Look at the Nazi annexation of Austria...everyone is okay with that happening?

The Feds are now in Washington State raiding our medical marijuana dispenseries and arresting cancer patients...some "land or the free" we got here, where a leader 3,000 miles away can send his thugs in to step on our rights.
You live in Washington state. I,however, live in Georgia, which was part of the Confederacy. I think about the conflict 150 years ago, and I have alot of mistrust as a result. It is because of the feds that the South has discontinued disturbing behaviors from its past(i.e. Jim Crow). I plan on leaving Georgia soon, but as long as I'm hear, I don't want secession, at least for my sake.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
You live in Washington state. I,however, live in Georgia, which was part of the Confederacy. I think about the conflict 150 years ago, and I have alot of mistrust as a result. It is because of the feds that the South has discontinued disturbing behaviors from its past(i.e. Jim Crow). I plan on leaving Georgia soon, but as long as I'm hear, I don't want secession, at least for my sake.

First, this has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CIVIL WAR. This has everything to do with religious fanatics in the South (no offense) giant corporations and a whole host of other influences holding Cascadia back. Universal healthcare on the tax payer's dime? Sounds good to most Cascadian...but we can't have it because that would be overruled by the many senators of Redneckistan (Obama care doesn't count because that is corporatist crap)

Even if we did it in one state, we couldn't because the money we could be using for healthcare is going to fund wars no one in this part of the country agrees with.

I am not saying it will happen tomorrow, or even in my lifetime. It will take things getting a lot worse before the Empire falls. Hopefully, there will be a period of cross migration in which people can move to wherever they like, as happened when Slovakia and the Czech Republic split up. Those whom don't want to live in the green democracy of Cascadia or the Republic of California can move to the South or Deseret or the plains, and in exchange those who were always Cascadian at heart can move here and everybody is happy...except the Fed, the military industrial complex and the Fascists.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:

Oh, and do you REALLY THINK a free nation of the former states of Oregon, Washington, Northern California, British Columbia and the southern coast of Alaska will EVER HAVE JIM CROW? The most disturbing thing that will happen here is outlawing farm-raised salmon (that no self-respecting Cascadian would eat anyway)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies