Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 05:25 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Well, maybe you can get him to transform it into a couple of $TRILLION to pay down your National Debt and save Social Security and Medicare.
You can go throw a dime in the fountain for that kind of thing. I wish you luck.

Quote:
That is not faith.

When I go to the al-Amir, I have faith that I will be served up a delicious chicken shawarma and gyro without suffering any ill health effects, because the guys who own it run a clean kitchen and are very picky about the produce and meats they select and serve for public consumption.

That is faith.
There are different definitions of faith. Refer to the Oxford English Dictionary for the etymologies and histories of the different definitions of faith.

Quote:
Their faith did not help catholics who were [deservedly] slaughtered during the English civil wars.

Didn't keep a pope from dying in prison either.
*LOL* It's not like rub the fat guy's belly and make a wish.

Quote:
Not impressed with Jesus...
That's fine. But where in any of my posts was I trying to get you to convert to Catholicism?

Old 05-29-2012, 06:07 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Well, maybe you can get him to transform it into a couple of $TRILLION to pay down your National Debt and save Social Security and Medicare.

That is not faith.

When I go to the al-Amir, I have faith that I will be served up a delicious chicken shawarma and gyro without suffering any ill health effects, because the guys who own it run a clean kitchen and are very picky about the produce and meats they select and serve for public consumption.

That is faith.

Their faith did not help catholics who were [deservedly] slaughtered during the English civil wars.

Didn't keep a pope from dying in prison either.

Not impressed with Jesus...

Mircea

Excellent.

Commending...

Mircea

You're right.

It's all about obeying and being a good slave.

Pointing out the obvious...

Mircea

Why would they want to do that? They cannot even explain the criteria by which they accept or reject ancient texts, much less explain why the accept some Old and New Testament Books while rejecting others.

Mythologically...

Mircea

Uh, wut?

What kind of god arranges for a contest between two brothers over who is the best, knowing full well who the winner will be in advance, and knowing that one would murder the other due to the choice the god made?

What kind of god creates the heavens and the Earth, and man, then runs away and hides for 4.5 Billion years, then returns and says, "I don't like how things are going and the fact that man, animals and plants have sinned and are wicked" and then destroys the whole Earth with a "flood?"

What kind of "enlightened" being condones slavery, and then sets up a chapters of boring laws about it?

You say god's ways are higher?

I say rape is wrong. Always. I say rape is a peremptory norm under jus cogens, and that there is no possible set of circumstances that would ever justify rape.

What does Jesus and Yahweh say?

Jesus and Yahweh say it's perfectly okay to brutally rape and sodomize a woman, so long as you marry her.

Your god is morally inferior to me.

And you want to worship a god like that? And then you want to ram the ideas of your morally inferior god down our throats? DSM-IV lists psychiatric conditions for that you know.

Oh, yeah?

Judges 1:19 The Lord was with the men of Judah. They conquered the hill country, but they could not conquer the people living in the coastal plain, because they had chariots with iron-rimmed wheels.

Apparently your god was too stupid to know in advance that the people on the coastal plain had chariots with iron-rimmed wheels.

And your god was too weak and pathetic to conquer them. What a loser.

James 1:17 All generous giving and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights,
with whom there is no variation or the slightest hint of change.

Jonah 3:10 When God saw their actions – they turned from their evil way of living! – God relented concerning the judgment he had threatened them with and he did not destroy them.

So which is it? Your god must work at Wafflehouse because he waffles all the time. I know crack-heads on the street who are better liars than your god.

Numbers 23:19 God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a human being, that he should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not make it happen.

Oooops. Adding insult to injury.

Jeremiah 15:6 I, the Lord, say: ‘You people have deserted me!

Duh! You're too stupid to know that?

Jeremiah 15:6 You keep turning your back on me.

Again, you'd have to be a mindless moron not to see that coming.

Jeremiah 15:6 So I have unleashed my power against you and have begun to destroy you. I have grown tired of feeling sorry for you!

Wow. And that is just more biblical contradictions.

So, what I'm hearing and smelling is that if I was reading the aforementioned passages wearing my Special God Glasses I would interpret it differently?

Whatever.

Here, let me help you out:

See how silly that sounds?

Laughing at god....

Mircea
Not circular , you should put in there secular.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:17 PM

409 posts, read 254,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
That's why so many Christians argue that we need more religion not less. When the Big Daddy in the Sky is watching, there's always some incentive to do good rather than ill whether guilt, fear, shame, etc. Without those feelings that come from supernatural surveillance, I think that a lot of Christians think the world would just go to hell in a handbasket. This is when they start throwing out examples of godless communist societies as examples of where we'll be headed.
Look at North Korea, China, and the former Soviet Union.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:28 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
Look at North Korea, China, and the former Soviet Union.
...were all lead by godlike figures of state religions.

The comment you were reffering to is not fact, it's religious propaganda. Who's actually committing all the vile acts around the world? The stonings in the middle east, the catholic church molestation scandal that seems to have an infinite bottom (no pun), 97% of American inmates are xians, the oppression of women, gays and those of other religions etc, etc...Religions indoctrinate people to believe that without it they would be bad. It's xianity that created sin. They created a problem only they have the solution to...Come on. It seems as if religion enables more vile acts than it actually prevents.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:48 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Why do people quote Bible verses like it's fact and think I'll simply agree with them?
If you’re unable to make your point one would conclude that you have either conceded the argument or was swayed to change your opinion. I really can’t provide a more direct answer without data…

Old 05-29-2012, 07:03 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
...were all lead by godlike figures of state religions.

The comment you were reffering to is not fact, it's religious propaganda. Who's actually committing all the vile acts around the world? The stonings in the middle east, the catholic church molestation scandal that seems to have an infinite bottom (no pun), 97% of American inmates are xians, the oppression of women, gays and those of other religions etc, etc...Religions indoctrinate people to believe that without it they would be bad. It's xianity that created sin. They created a problem only they have the solution to...Come on. It seems as if religion enables more vile acts than it actually prevents.
You say Christianity created sin???... no man sins. Example= Man goes into peoples homes and steal, did Christianity make them do that?

Old 05-29-2012, 07:48 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
As I have posted before, I am not a believer. It just doesn't make sense to me. The era of Judeo-Christian revelation is relatively brief, with Abraham dating to about 2000 BC, and Christianity only 2000 years old. But we know from carbon dating that humankind has been around in its present form for at least about 50,000 years. Why would God wait 46,000 years before decided to bestow the gift of written language and then the dissemination of the Truth, btw ignoring until around 1500 AD, a paltrey 500 years ago, those humans who had crossed over from Siberia and occupied N and S America???

However it does give pause even to a nonbeliever such as myself when I run across some of the brilliance in the Bible, such as Ecclesiastes 10:2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccesiastes(NIV)
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.
It's hard to read that, and not detect the hand of Providence at work.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Therein lies the problem. To a non-believer, your post is gibberish. Just because you say so, doesn't make it true.
To Christians you proabvly soud the same.I suggest you hangout with people who agree with you if you can't take others beliefs.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:17 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
People are born non-believers. How can one believe in a god if they can't discern what the holy book that's making the claim that a god exist says?

I don't think people are born non-believers , to say they are non-believers means they already made a choice not to believe. I think people are born more with a open slate.

In my opinion you may even not read the bible and not go to church but if you live your life well and caring with love in your soul you may still be in good grace whether you realize it or not, but that's my opinion.

The holy book is a battery charger, it charges you when you need guidance. We all need that sometimes, and for some they find it in the bible which does have a lot of wisdom and passages that make you reflect inner. It might have stories, poems, and somewhat abstract ways about it , but they all go to trying to show wisdom in and for life even if sometimes the way it is delivered might not make sense if you try to interpret it literally.

In my opinion, the path to finding what is really at the heart of what is written in it is for you, to take between yourself and the words. I am not saying don't listen to other people's point of view on it, but don't let other people tell you what it means or says, that will only lead you away from the personal nature of it that it was intended to be, in my opinion....

Anyway on a lighter note I always loved this song. Watched dawn of the dead again the other night and the song is in the movie.
Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around - YouTube

Old 05-29-2012, 08:23 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Why do people quote Bible verses like it's fact and think I'll simply agree with them?
If they believe the Bible is the indisputable "word of God", then they're probably going to have a hard time imagining that anyone would disagree with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies