Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 12:14 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Don't confuse Old Testament Law with Christianity.
Why?

When Jesus was asked about mosaic laws, his answer was "you know my fathers laws".

If you mean he fulfilled, not abolished, that is a very gray area. For one, if the ten commandments are still to be followed, then why not the other laws? There was no distinction between the 10 commandments and the other Jewish laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 12:25 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times
Huge difference between incest and Homosexuality......................
All sexual acts come under a basic rule of law and that is the age of consent. Heterosexual and Homosexual sex is legal between two consenting adults. They are both illegal with a minor or in the case of rape.
A far as incest, the legalities vary from Country to Country..... Laws regarding incest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There is absolutely NO correlation between Homosexuality and Incest.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:30 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes, sometimes I, too, wonder why homosexuals feel such a strong need to appropriate marriage. If I were gay I wouldn't feel the need for people to recognise my marriage, a civil union with all the legal benefits of marriage would be good enough for me. The 'marriage' part seems more a religious thing, as you say, and would depend on my own personal religious convictions.

I think part of it is marriage is 'in' again after the 90s when more people were rebelling against the idea of marriage. Sure, more kids are born out of wedlock and stuff, but I see people getting married left right and centre, old classmates, in Hollywood.etc, it seems marriage is 'hip' again.
Civil unions do not confer the same rights/benefits as civil marriage, though. Also, many states that disallow same-sex marriage also disallow same-sex civil unions.

In the VAST majorit of instances when someone refers to "gay marriage" they are talking about the legal process/status, nothing religious. There are tons of churches out there that will conduct same-sex ceremonies.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:37 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Huge difference between incest and Homosexuality......................
All sexual acts come under a basic rule of law and that is the age of consent. Heterosexual and Homosexual sex is legal between two consenting adults. They are both illegal with a minor or in the case of rape.
A far as incest, the legalities vary from Country to Country..... Laws regarding incest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There is absolutely NO correlation between Homosexuality and Incest.
I know there is a difference. I was careful wording my question not to ask "What's the difference" because I knew people would have a field day with that one! But what makes one "ok" and the other not (and if you say "the law", I'm gonna have to pull a Will Smith on ya )

Old 05-29-2012, 01:00 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I just know I'm going to end up making the whole lot of you hate me here...

First, I want to say for the record I am 100% for gay rights (marriage, adoption, the whole nine yards) but have always opposed incest. But the recent thread about that mother who made a sex tape with her son and the way it was quickly transformed into a thread for comparing it to homosexuality has got me thinking:

What makes homosexuality okay and not incest if both cases involve only adults?

(Note: Yes, I know the case I just mentioned didn't involve only adults.)
OP, You have been here awhile, surely you cannot be trolling?

Old 05-29-2012, 01:04 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
I just know I'm going to end up making the whole lot of you hate me here...

First, I want to say for the record I am 100% for gay rights (marriage, adoption, the whole nine yards) but have always opposed incest. But the recent thread about that mother who made a sex tape with her son and the way it was quickly transformed into a thread for comparing it to homosexuality has got me thinking:

What makes homosexuality okay and not incest if both cases involve only adults?

(Note: Yes, I know the case I just mentioned didn't involve only adults.)
Both homosexuality and incest occur in nature. In humans it is a taboo. Besides being just a sick thing to do, there are valid reasons for choosing not to procreate with a relative; birth defects for example. Homosexuality is also a taboo in places and is known to be frowned upon in the Bible. However there is really no reason not to be who one is (homosexual) besides that one gender can't procreate with each other. Other arguments, such as the so-called higher risk of STDs are all moot. STDs find themselves among all sexual preference groups.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:11 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
OP, You have been here awhile, surely you cannot be trolling?
Haha, if so, I'm not very good at it. I don't think most of 'em just out and say that they're trying to stir s*** up

No, I said that because I knew I wasn't going to just say, "Yeah, you're probably right" to people on this subject. I'm genuinely interested in making sure my/your/their stand against incest (if any) isn't just based on the idea that it's gross. Because, yes, that is exactly how those against homosexuality view being gay. There has to be more to it if we're going to call one right and the other wrong.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:31 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times
Quote:
I know there is a difference. I was careful wording my question not to ask "What's the difference" because I knew people would have a field day with that one! But what makes one "ok" and the other not (and if you say "the law", I'm gonna have to pull a Will Smith on ya )
The difference is............ what is acceptable in that society.
We have many laws and for a law to succeed it must be accepted by the majority in that society or it fails.
A simple law is the Speed limit on our roads........ if enough of us said it was not to be followed, the law would have to be changed to one that the majority agreed on. The same with homosexuality, heterosexuality and incest.
If the majority agree that any of the above is ok and legal than that would be the law about whatever subject we want.
At the end of the day........ WE as a society decide on what is legal and what isn't and it changes all the time.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:39 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
In my opinion, neither homosexuality nor incest are a problem when the act occurs between people who are at or above the age of consent.

Incest is OK with you huh? You are a sick person.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:40 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Not at all. I don't think sex with animals should be legal. But I do think marriage with animals should be legal. The two are totally different.
In what way is an animal capable of giving consent to entering in to a marriage contract?

Quote:
I know a lot of people who would like to marry their dog, but would never consider sex with their dog.
You know some seriously f'd up people, then. I know NO ONE that desires to enter into a marriage with a dog, or any other non-human animal, for that matter. Regardless, since animals are incapable of giving consent, it's a strawman argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies