Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:42 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

It annoys me, at times, if socializing with a group of Asian people - even predominantly Australians of Asian ancestry - the topic of being Asian always comes up, or reference is made to Asians vs Whites or some other crap like that. Not to say that race shouldn't be discussed at all, of course, but it seems non-whites seem most conscious of racial issues. I wonder if it's because a lot of white people still like to remind us that we're different - a minority, but a vocal minority.

Like they'll always say stuff like 'that's so Asian,' 'you're such a banana' - like OFTEN, lol. It's like they really enjoy it or something. My friends have been from basically everywhere (a lot of South Asians too, for instance) so I definitely don't hang with any particular ethnic group, or confine myself to activities a certain group partakes in.

I'm actually one of the most race-blind people I know...in fact city data sometimes makes me more race conscious...

But anyway, it seems that the races are more integrated in the US but I can't be sure. I've heard even Canada is similar to here.

Last race thread, I promise lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 11:09 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
It's hard to be color blind when I can see your ethnicity at 20 paces and have a mental baggage to acess for a initial point of reference. We are all racist to some degree and should be honest enough to accept it. Acceptance is the first step in getting a handle on this problem. Blacks, South Asians, East Asians, Latinos and even whites had a different experience and mind set and guess what there is absolutely nothing wrong with it!

Old 05-29-2012, 11:11 AM

161 posts, read 385,434 times
Oh my god, you really are obsessed with race, aren't you?

Old 05-29-2012, 01:24 PM

639 posts, read 828,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It annoys me, at times, if socializing with a group of Asian people - even predominantly Australians of Asian ancestry - the topic of being Asian always comes up, or reference is made to Asians vs Whites or some other crap like that. Not to say that race shouldn't be discussed at all, of course, but it seems non-whites seem most conscious of racial issues. I wonder if it's because a lot of white people still like to remind us that we're different - a minority, but a vocal minority.

Like they'll always say stuff like 'that's so Asian,' 'you're such a banana' - like OFTEN, lol. It's like they really enjoy it or something. My friends have been from basically everywhere (a lot of South Asians too, for instance) so I definitely don't hang with any particular ethnic group, or confine myself to activities a certain group partakes in.

I'm actually one of the most race-blind people I know...in fact city data sometimes makes me more race conscious...

But anyway, it seems that the races are more integrated in the US but I can't be sure. I've heard even Canada is similar to here.

Last race thread, I promise lol.
some people get hung up, others don't. Really, some people are insecure and need a "clique" or "group" to belong to. It is not just a race thing. BTW, whats up with those attacks on Indo-pak students in Oz, bro? has that died down??

Old 05-29-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cash View Post
some people get hung up, others don't. Really, some people are insecure and need a "clique" or "group" to belong to. It is not just a race thing. BTW, whats up with those attacks on Indo-pak students in Oz, bro? has that died down??
Yes, they died down when the Indians who were doing the attacks went back to India .

Old 05-29-2012, 07:51 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,515,537 times
I'm an Asian guy and I have no idea what the OP is talking about. Many Asians in my circle (mostly Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Thai and Filipino) are pretty quiet. In other words, they don't like it when "people talk to much." It doesn't matter what the ethnicity of the talker is either. As for the banana reference, I would deem that old school. That might be something my grandpa or grandma might have said.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I'd say asina have adopted very well in such a short time i US. WQhen I hear my asian friends say that is so asina;I always think of my mothers father tellig her to speak engish as she is a american and that is the language american speak to succeed.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:19 PM

^ Yes I feel Asians in the US and other groups are more integrated than here, maybe because most are also born there, while a lot here might've come here at age 10 so are still culturally part Asian. Also, being American is not associated with any race like being Australian sometimes is. Not just 'race' but specifically British. Until not too long ago Italians and whatnot weren't considered 'real Australians' by many either.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:44 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,183,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
I'm an Asian guy and I have no idea what the OP is talking about. Many Asians in my circle (mostly Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Thai and Filipino) are pretty quiet. In other words, they don't like it when "people talk to much." It doesn't matter what the ethnicity of the talker is either. As for the banana reference, I would deem that old school. That might be something my grandpa or grandma might have said.
I work with a lot of Asians............your remarks in bold are spot on.

The Asians I work with exude a sense of humilty and they have a very "soft approach". Not loud and showy like a lot of the non Asian Americans I work with.

It seems as it white and black Americans are more conerned with being bold and boastful than my Asian couterparts.

I do in enjoy the group I work with. Americans can really learn a lot from Asians Americans, especially those that have their culture still in tact.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:57 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Some complain the U.S. has no culture, but I would suggest the U.S. is a cornucopia of cultures, and all but one of them is NOT white anglo saxon protestant.

Over the years I've worked with an assortment of Viet Namese, Chinese, Azeri's, Russkies, Indian, and Pakistani's, and probably others. I will always encourage them to share something from their heritage. Seems it always made them feel so... American. Appreciating other cultures is what makes the U.S. great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies