Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 07:46 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times

Advertisements

It's called the bill of rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 07:52 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,288,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I heard lefties talk about it all the time.

I also hear about some "social contract".

Please show me where it states this in the Constitution.
Quote:
Social justice generally refers to the idea of creating a society or institution that is based on the principles of equality and solidarity, that understands and values human rights, and that recognizes the dignity of every human being
Quote:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

It's also in the Declaration of Independence written by Thomas Jefferson? Or do you also consider that to be a liberal rag?

Quote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights

Old 05-30-2012, 07:54 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:

Promote the general welfare.

That is generally the reason used for social matters. Its proven that people are easier to control when you have them feed, housed, and take care of to at least a minimum extent. It reduces crime, it makes business more easily operated without overhead expenses like "security", and it makes for a healthier population which usually means that the country is more ready to make war.

Now, I'm not saying that we haven't gone far enough, I think that we've gone to far in some areas of "social justice". But that doesn't mean there aren't constitutional reasons for doing so.

We've followed an "interpreted" powers view of the constitution since before Jefferson was in office. Jefferson, a strict constructionalist, actually overstepped his bounds and used implied powers to purchase land west of the Mississippi from Napoleon.

So to ignore that we haven't followed the constitution "to the letter" is to ignore the entire history of these United States. I, myself, would personally love to see us follow the constitution to the letter. If a program is so necessary, so agreed upon, then write an amendment and put it in the constitution. But neither side of the political aisle wants that.

It would mean....

No war on drugs. No military exercises without congress authorizing a declaration of war. Abortion issues would be reliquished to the states. No more censorship of the airwaves.

And the list goes on and on.

There are things that every individual likes about the implied powers the constitution gives, and there are things each individual doesn't like. The problem is, they vary so widely from person to person, that its likely our federal government will never get anything done.

Hell, a large standing army, isn't necessarily constitutional or in line with the founding fathers views of our country. Giving money to Israel, Egypt, etc for their military sure as hell isn't in there.

So while the words "social justice" aren't written in the constitution, doesn't mean that it hasn't been interpreted to be so.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:13 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
"Justice" under the law does not mean taking from one to give to another.

We ALL have access to "Blessings of Liberty".

The "General Welfare" clause also doesn't mean what "welfare" means today.

[SIZE=3](How General Welfare is interpreted is one of the most controversial in your Constitution. It is found in both the preamble and Article I, section 8. Although I cannot currently remember who said this, but he described general welfare as “a verbal exclamation point†for defending our borders and discharging our debts. Today it is currently interpreted to give the legislative branch an unlimited spending ability. But is this the original intent of General Welfare? Did the Founding Fathers give a blank check to the federal government? Are there any restrictions today on this clause?)

The restrictions are in the enumerated powers.

Why would the Constitution be a blank check book when they clearly set limitations on the spending powers pf The Congress?
[/SIZE]
I don't see how granting social justice to groups that don't currently have it takes away from the justice that certain groups already have. Care to elaborate?

I know that "Welfare" doesn't literally refer to food stamps and other benefits.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:23 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
A lot of people don't even agree on the definition of "social justice." It's a euphemism for a lot of different ideas that may or may not be just depending on which definition people want to use. It sounds innocuous so it's an easy buzz word.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:28 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
A lot of people don't even agree on the definition of "social justice." It's a euphemism for a lot of different ideas that may or may not be just depending on which definition people want to use. It sounds innocuous so it's an easy buzz word.

What do you mean by "social justice", OP? I had things like "civil rights" in mind, but it sounds like you had "welfare programs" in mind.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:41 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
"Justice" under the law does not mean taking from one to give to another.

We ALL have access to "Blessings of Liberty".

As a poor person - a member of a class which was excluded fromn participation in the creation of the Constitution - I dispute the claim that I have access to "Blessings of Liberty". Government has already taken away property rights. Where is Kelo in the Constitution? Whatever happened to the right of a willing seller and a willing buyer to transact real estate deals of mutual agreement?

Old 05-30-2012, 08:42 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:

May be the problem is with your hearing, and comprehension?

Old 05-30-2012, 08:43 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
"and provide for the common good"

I thought it was "promote the General Welfare".

Old 05-30-2012, 08:44 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,530,237 times
Quote:
How is taking from me to give to another a "common good"?
You know what I make MY OWN money. We blacks that are not the few you love to paint us all with do not want your money alpha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies