Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 07:04 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
LOL ! Oh please ! Look who's talking.

I'm neither bitter nor wrong. My child's father didn't cut and run...like most men do. I kicked his sorry butt to the curb because he couldn't keep his curmudgeon in his pants. And many other reasons that you aren't privy to.

I have been both mom & dad at times. So don't tell me it's not possible. You sound like the other misogynist's here.
Hardly a misogynist. Quite married, father of five, stepfather of two and grandfather to 11 (as of yesterday's birth), soon to have a great-grandchild. No woman hating here. Just have a bit of an inkling of what a mother is and what a father is. One cannot fulfill the role of the other - fill-in the gaps, yes. Replace, no. Not so arrogant as to believe I could ever be a mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 07:08 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
I am personally offended as a man that this whole idea to celebrate single mothers on Father's Day is being widely accepted. It seems as though we are seeing an increasing degradation of men in this country and across the world. We are now seeing websites like this...Happy Father's Day Mom - Home, that in my opinion continue to put emphasis on mothers being celebrated on Father's Day. I think the fact that this is becoming commercialized is a big problem. Why is it okay to celebrate this? What is there really to celebrate? Should we celebrate the single parents? Sure, but to make this seem as though being single mothers is becoming 'normal' and a mother can somehow be a father is ridiculous.

No matter how much those mothers do for their children, it will never replace what a father can do. By continuing perpetuating this idea that mothers can be a mother and a father, it completely closes the door on fathers being deemed necessary. Not only that, but what if the father actually turns their life around and tries to become a part of that child's life. You just spent years basically teaching that child that his father is not important or necessary, now how will that child view their father?
I don't have a problem with Single Mom's being celebrated on Father's day, as long as Single Dad's receive the reciprocal celebration on Mother's day.

(P.S. I raised 2 children as a single/divorced dad).

Old 05-31-2012, 07:30 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
How sexist to insist that a male parent is more or less important than a female parent.

To those who think the sex of the parent is important let me say you have NO idea of what it takes to raise a child.

There are many single male parents and many single female parents and there rate of successfully raising children is probably equal.

Do you really think a child cares which sex their caregiver is if the caregiver is loving, kind, instructive, feeds them, keeps them safe, helps them learn, helps them get through life, tucks them in with a story at night, changes their diaper, keeps them healthy and happy?

The answer for dunderheads is

NO!

It makes NO difference!

Old 05-31-2012, 07:35 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
No, that is what mothers day is for. Should single fathers be celebrated on Mothers day? Of course not.
They should just get a lump of coal.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:37 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
I think the idea is a bit rediculous. As a father of two I would not expect to celebrate mothers day if I was a single dad, in fact I would not want to. I would be filling the role of both but I am still just the father. Mothers day is for moms (females) and fathers day is for dads (males). This would hold true for a gay couple as well..the child would either have two dads or two moms. WHy is it so difficult? If your a single mom and want to celebrate fathers day...wait till Mothers day.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:38 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Hardly a misogynist. Quite married, father of five, stepfather of two and grandfather to 11 (as of yesterday's birth), soon to have a great-grandchild. No woman hating here. Just have a bit of an inkling of what a mother is and what a father is. One cannot fulfill the role of the other - fill-in the gaps, yes. Replace, no. Not so arrogant as to believe I could ever be a mom.
Yes, it's all too common today to believe that one parent, usually a father, is not needed in a child's life.

It's wrong to believe the role of the mother is unimportant and just as wrong to believe the role of the father is unimportant.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:39 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
I am personally offended as a man that this whole idea to celebrate single mothers on Father's Day is being widely accepted. It seems as though we are seeing an increasing degradation of men in this country and across the world. We are now seeing websites like this...Happy Father's Day Mom - Home, that in my opinion continue to put emphasis on mothers being celebrated on Father's Day. I think the fact that this is becoming commercialized is a big problem. Why is it okay to celebrate this? What is there really to celebrate? Should we celebrate the single parents? Sure, but to make this seem as though being single mothers is becoming 'normal' and a mother can somehow be a father is ridiculous.

No matter how much those mothers do for their children, it will never replace what a father can do. By continuing perpetuating this idea that mothers can be a mother and a father, it completely closes the door on fathers being deemed necessary. Not only that, but what if the father actually turns their life around and tries to become a part of that child's life. You just spent years basically teaching that child that his father is not important or necessary, now how will that child view their father?
I vote no...single moms already had their day (Mother's Day).

Old 05-31-2012, 07:41 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, it's all too common today to believe that one parent, usually a father, is not needed in a child's life.

It's wrong to believe the role of the mother is unimportant and just as wrong to believe the role of the father is unimportant.
See post #43.

Many people are raised in single family homes. That is LIFE.

And they turn out no worse nor no better than any others.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:42 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,377,094 times
Absolutely not--ever hear of Mother's Day.....

Old 05-31-2012, 07:51 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times
If the Greeting Card and Flower industries were smart they would just create "Single Parent Day" so they could scam the public into yet another Holiday that requires the purchasing of over priced cards, last minute Wal-Mart flowers and trips to local restaurants in which you are surrounded by the other dolts and mouth breathers caught up in BS that is most Holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies