Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 02:39 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,075,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyso40 View Post
How can you judge the man and his situation? Have you walked in his shoes, do you know him? To me the racist word is a very serious word and should not be thrown around lightly!
How can you? Didn't you call his actions reasonable? Is that not a judgement?

I'm not throwing the word around lightly. His actions are overtly racist. They almost define the term. Any person with an ounce of sense would agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 02:41 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,008,437 times
Quote:
No matter what color their skin is. That's been my experience at least.
Which is exactly why i don't care about racism for the most part. Be racist. Just keep it to yourself and show me the same respect i show you.

That should be easy enough.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:42 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,499,406 times
Poor little me. Most black women don't say thank you, so I'll treat them all the same, even the ones that would say thank you. Sounds like a loser to me.

24,645 posts, read 38,527,044 times
Quote:
No matter what color their skin is. That's been my experience at least.
Unfortunately, it hasn't been mine. I learned long ago that there will be some people who will hate or devalue me because of what I look like, no matter what I accomplish or how I live my life.

As long as they don't try to assault me or otherwise adversely affect my life, I've learned to ignore those idiots.

23,838 posts, read 23,035,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
And that's funny-- I assume I will be respected and I usually am. In fact I can count on the fingers on one hand the number of times I've felt disrespected. It's amazing what walking around without a big chip on your shoulder will do.

I don't demand anything from anyone. Where I come from, making demands is rude.

Good luck to you.
I make an observation over years of experience, and I act on it. There is no chip on my shoulder.....I demand respect when I extend it to someone. You don't....that's your choice. But that doesn't make me a racist. It makes me someone who refuses to let the rude, selfish, and entitled to have the upper hand with their disrespect.

I have a strong personality with conviction and principle. You don't. So be it. Keep getting trampled. Doesn't matter to me.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:43 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,527,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
In theory, yes. But there's a reason that I no longer hold the door for black women. Why? Because 9 out of 10 of them never say "Thank You." This after many years of being spurned. It's an observation that rarely ever fails. I extend respect, and don't get it in return. **** it. Face, meet glass. See if I care. What goes around comes around.
Really? I have the exact same experience with some white women. I hold open the door for them and they don't say "Thank You."

Imagine that.

What I don't do is treat every white woman with the same disdain you display toward black women when you see one approaching a door. I just continue to open the door for everyone. The smiles and thanks I get from some younger, middle-aged, and older ladies more than makes up for the ones who ignore me.

You should try that approach some time.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:43 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,008,437 times
Quote:
In theory, yes. But there's a reason that I no longer hold the door for black women. Why? Because 9 out of 10 of them never say "Thank You." This after many years of being spurned. It's an observation that rarely ever fails. I extend respect, and don't get it in return. **** it. Face, meet glass. See if I care. What goes around comes around.
That's just being stupid, not to mention that your story comes off as bogus.

I mean, "face, meet glass?" Yea, right. Okay...whatever you say.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:46 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,392,831 times
I had hope. But every, single, solitary thread has to have this smoke go under the door.

Oh well. I treat everyone the same regardless of initial contact. For the most part today, people in real life are far more respectful and courteous than they are on open forums. Maybe not, maybe those that aren't are simply louder.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:47 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,075,195 times
Quote:
I make an observation over years of experience, and I act on it. There is no chip on my shoulder.....I demand respect when I extend it to someone. You don't....that's your choice. But that doesn't make me a racist
That's correct. That doesn't make you a racist.

What makes you a racist is that you prejudge people based on race alone (and gender). So maybe what you're doing is misogynistic too. But I'll leave that for another day.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:49 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,035,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Poor little me. Most black women don't say thank you, so I'll treat them all the same, even the ones that would say thank you. Sounds like a loser to me.
What part of my post did you not understand? The part about my years of observation? Or the part where I said I demand respect in return when I extend it to someone?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies