Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2012, 06:09 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Just because you have the constitutional right to do something, doesn't mean you have the moral right. Some of you have really low standards for yourselves.
You couldn't have said it any better. J.C. Penney certainly can run this ad - but they fail in the moral department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 06:15 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You couldn't have said it any better. J.C. Penney certainly can run this ad - but they fail in the moral department.
Since you cannot explain why you see promotion of the acceptance of homosexuality as immoral, I'm going to call that a lie

Obviously, I'm speaking of the discrimination so many of you seem to be promoting here. The vast majority of couples featured in advertisements today are heterosexual. And though these couples are hugging, kissing, laying in bed together, etc., your issue is with a homosexual couple merely sitting near the same couch with a tiny caption hovering above with vague mention of the fact that they are together. That is embarrassingly discriminatory of you (ALL). And you should be ashamed.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Since you cannot explain why you see promotion of the acceptance of homosexuality as immoral, I'm going to call that a lie

Obviously, I'm speaking of the discrimination so many of you seem to be promoting here. The vast majority of couples featured in advertisements today are heterosexual. And though these couples are hugging, kissing, laying in bed together, etc., your issue is with a homosexual couple merely sitting near the same couch with a tiny caption hovering above with vague mention of the fact that they are together. That is embarrassingly discriminatory of you (ALL). And you should be ashamed.
Those ads are immoral also.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:23 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:

The 1600s called, they want their morality back.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The 1600s called, they want their morality back.
You have invented a machine that allows you to communicate with the past? How come you are only announcing this in an offhand post in an online forum? This is a stunning accomplishment that will make you very wealthy if you promote it properly. I congratulate you.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:27 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
You are evading the challenge. You would like to claim that JCP is doing something immoral, so it falls on you to explain what makes it wrong.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:32 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
You have invented a machine that allows you to communicate with the past? How come you are only announcing this in an offhand post in an online forum? This is a stunning accomplishment that will make you very wealthy if you promote it properly. I congratulate you.
One can only suppose you have never opened a history book.
One can also suppose that you will be boycotting TV, movies, all forms of print media, etc, etc.
Since you deem it immoral, of course.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
You are evading the challenge. You would like to claim that JCP is doing something immoral, so it falls on you to explain what makes it wrong.
Actually you were the one who first mentioned morality and you did so in the context of saying that people who opposed the ad were wrong to do so. I'm not sure why I have to explain myself and you think that you don't have to justify your claim.

Besides - that you actually think that I need to tell you why the ad is immoral - is evidence that our society is halfway between the toilet bowl and the cesspool.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:35 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Your rantings show why liberal extremists cannot be taken seriously. If JCPenney wants to have an ad with two gay fathers, that is their right. If people don't want to shop there because of that ad, it is their right to do so. Freedom of expression is an American right and people have a right to support gay rights and a right to be opposed to homosexuality. People like you want conformity under your liberal agenda, not freedom of expression. If people like you were in power, the first amendment would be gone.
1. I'm not an "extremist liberal," in fact I don't even identify with a political party. I am what could be considered socially liberal, but the closest I come to your political labeling is maybe a Libertarian.

2. I am not the one calling for this ad to be pulled or for them to fire a gay spokesperson (that would be an ultra conservative group of women), and I haven't once said you don't have the right to boycott them. I'm actually rather confused by your attempt to insult me, since I haven't said anything even remotely related to suppressing free speech. Did you mean this for one of our conservative posters, or what?

3. I will defend the right to free speech and expression until the day I die, it's even a big part of the career I have chosen. Nice try, but you are so off-base it's laughable.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:38 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Actually you were the one who first mentioned morality and you did so in the context of saying that people who opposed the ad were wrong to do so. I'm not sure why I have to explain myself and you think that you don't have to justify your claim.

Besides - that you actually think that I need to tell you why the ad is immoral - is evidence that our society is halfway between the toilet bowl and the cesspool.
People like you always bring "morality" into the conversation, and the fact that you think this innocent photo qualifies as immoral is really the sign our society is in the toilet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies