Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2012, 06:39 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
People like you always bring "morality" into the conversation, and the fact that you think this innocent photo qualifies as immoral is really the sign our society is in the toilet.
Actually - being in the toilet would be an improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 06:49 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Actually you were the one who first mentioned morality and you did so in the context of saying that people who opposed the ad were wrong to do so. I'm not sure why I have to explain myself and you think that you don't have to justify your claim.
They are, because they are trying to restrict another person's freedom and can't give a good reason as to why (apparently not, anyway, because you have yet to do this). Which makes it your turn. What is so immoral about JCP running this ad?

Quote:
Besides - that you actually think that I need to tell you why the ad is immoral - is evidence that our society is halfway between the toilet bowl and the cesspool.
Yes, you should tell us why. Because unlike a little child, I will not just adopt a belief/value because someone told me "This is wrong". I require an explanation before I let such a claim take root in my mind.

Lawrence Kohlberg's stages of moral development - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-04-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
They are, because they are trying to restrict another person's freedom and can't give a good reason as to why (apparently not, anyway, because you have yet to do this).
Not shopping at a store because of a difference in opinion = restricting freedom?

Huh?

Old 06-04-2012, 07:21 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Not shopping at a store because of a difference in opinion = restricting freedom?

Huh?
No, but many people would like this ad to be pulled, and for Ellen to be fired as their spokesperson. Please pay attention to the original topic and story, where this is all stated rather clearly. Do you agree with the million moms on that end, or are you simply going to ignore the ad and shop elsewhere? Are you comfortable with them continuing to display the ad, since you won't be going in their store?

Old 06-04-2012, 07:23 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Actually - being in the toilet would be an improvement.
Over the bigotry and self-righteous behavior so many Americans display? I agree.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No, but many people would like this ad to be pulled, and for Ellen to be fired as their spokesperson. Please pay attention to the original topic and story, where this is all stated rather clearly. Do you agree with the million moms on that end, or are you simply going to ignore the ad and shop elsewhere? Are you comfortable with them continuing to display the ad, since you won't be going in their store?
I have stated my position consistently throughtout the thread. J.C. Penney can run whatever ad they wish to run, I don't have to shop there, and the "million moms" can call for someone to get a pink slip and ask that J.C. Penney pull the ad.

What is difficult to understand?

Old 06-04-2012, 07:26 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Never could understand why the bleach blonde soccer mom set admires Ellen so much- Sure she is charming in her funny little way...but all she represents is some ugly duckling little jewish girl who has found a niche and is making the big bucks...she is so rich that she can buy highly attractive straight woman as "partners" woman who are their for the money- she may as well be a male John..

Old 06-04-2012, 07:31 PM

603 posts, read 946,214 times
Now if only JC Penney would hire some gay designers, they might actually start selling some clothes.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:40 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:

Huh?
Could it be that you aren't even aware of the purpose of your own plan?

You want to avoid giving your business (your money) to JCP. Why? Well, because they are doing something you don't approve of (and you haven't explained why that is, either, btw). And so, you are doing your part to make it so their business suffers.

You are punishing them, for doing something that is not wrong.

Now, punishment is aimed at reducing the punished response. In this case, that would be featuring homosexuals in their advertisements. As I explained before, the men in this ad aren't even touching or looking at each other! Surely, heterosexual couples are allowed to at least hug in an advertisement (even by your rather strict guidelines). Or at least they can show up in an advertisement dressed up as if they're about to get married.

So you are trying to punish JCP as well as encourage discriminatory restrictions on homosexuals.

You have claimed JCP to be wrong but continually avoid the question, "What makes it wrong?" Or would you like to retract your statement?

Old 06-04-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Could it be that you aren't even aware of the purpose of your own plan?

You want to avoid giving your business (your money) to JCP. Why? Well, because they are doing something you don't approve of (and you haven't explained why that is, either, btw). And so, you are doing your part to make it so their business suffers.

You are punishing them, for doing something that is not wrong.

Now, punishment is aimed at reducing the punished response. In this case, that would be featuring homosexuals in their advertisements. As I explained before, the men in this ad aren't even touching or looking at each other! Surely, heterosexual couples are allowed to at least hug in an advertisement (even by your rather strict guidelines). Or at least they can show up in an advertisement dressed up as if they're about to get married.

So you are trying to punish JCP as well as encourage discriminatory restrictions on homosexuals.

You have claimed JCP to be wrong but continually avoid the question, "What makes it wrong?" Or would you like to retract your statement?
That is a lot different than "restricting freedom".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies