Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 05:54 PM

116 posts, read 371,730 times

Advertisements

How bad is it? Can blame people running away from socioeconomic enviroments they do not like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 08:36 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,506,102 times
From what I see (on the "wrong" side of Dallas), it is not so much a White Flight thing anymore.

It used to be, and that was an apt name for situation. It started here in the late 1960s with something called "Blockbusting," a scam put together by local Real Estate agents. In the targeted area, a Real Estate person would place a designated "first Black" in a neighborhood and then contact all the surrounding white neighborhood to sell their house before it was "too late." But that was only half the game. The blockbusting Real Estate Broker would also turn the "flight" white seller to another Broker to sell them a new place in a "safe" White area. Double commissions and instant churn of sales.

Now what I see is a flight from trash. Trashy people, trashy housing, trashy law enforcement -- and literally trash in the steets. Folks that can get away, just want to get away. Same for blacks, whites, whatever. All it leaves is the trash, and freaks and geeks. I suppose we are in the geek catagory. I am a desgn/build engineer and can build my weird projects on our post industrial site we sort of call home. But the trash is never that far away -- we have meth hookers walk by on the street sometimes outside "the compound." But the locals that work with me from time-to-time on projects -- poor to lower middle class white, black, brown or other have either somehow adapted into freak status, or just want to get out.

Since we have kids, now -- Mrs. Phil (a Social Worker, no less) says same for us -- so out of here we shall go.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:43 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,159,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
From what I see (on the "wrong" side of Dallas), it is not so much a White Flight thing anymore.

It used to be, and that was an apt name for situation. It started here in the late 1960s with something called "Blockbusting," a scam put together by local Real Estate agents. In the targeted area, a Real Estate person would place a designated "first Black" in a neighborhood and then contact all the surrounding white neighborhood to sell their house before it was "too late." But that was only half the game. The blockbusting Real Estate Broker would also turn the "flight" white seller to another Broker to sell them a new place in a "safe" White area. Double commissions and instant churn of sales.

Now what I see is a flight from trash. Trashy people, trashy housing, trashy law enforcement -- and literally trash in the steets. Folks that can get away, just want to get away. Same for blacks, whites, whatever. All it leaves is the trash, and freaks and geeks. I suppose we are in the geek catagory. I am a desgn/build engineer and can build my weird projects on our post industrial site we sort of call home. But the trash is never that far away -- we have meth hookers walk by on the street sometimes outside "the compound." But the locals that work with me from time-to-time on projects -- poor to lower middle class white, black, brown or other have either somehow adapted into freak status, or just want to get out.

Since we have kids, now -- Mrs. Phil (a Social Worker, no less) says same for us -- so out of here we shall go.
i like this article. comes very close to reality for me. its "jerk flight" that seem to be the issue, no? to correct this i need to start with myself, my own stuff.
a "dejerk" program.
then things get better no?
i like it i love it i cannt get enough of it.

stephen s
san diego ca

Old 09-21-2007, 07:23 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,586,671 times
White flight - panicked people do stupid things.

PT - why don't you stay and work at changing your neighborhood back to a desirable place to live. Helping the people working for you is a good place to start. Giving the trash collectors a tip would also help.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:37 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,599,070 times
I don't view it as much as white flight as I do "class flight". People who can afford to move out of areas that are aging and dealing with an influx of crime and problems do. When I was in north TX, there were many neighborhoods in suburbia that were wealthier people of all races that had left areas that were becoming run down. One of the areas I made a lot of sales to was a huge development of several hundred homes that were in the 500,000 and up range. Most of my customers were either hispanic, asian, or many times, a mixed race black/white couple or black couple. Of course, there were a lot of white people as well, but I was very surprised that there were as many or more non whites in that area that purchased from me as I had always thougth "white" flight was just that, but many areas its a "rich flight".

Old 09-21-2007, 07:37 AM

64 posts, read 131,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
White flight - panicked people do stupid things.

PT - why don't you stay and work at changing your neighborhood back to a desirable place to live.
Easy for you to say until it's your neighborhood being changed for the benefits of 'diversity' through an increase in crime, gangs, violence, a decrease in the qualify of life, etc.

There's a reason some of the biggest diversity proponents live far away from the problems they create in their White suburbs. Hell, you even see White flight in Europe (a place where this should not occur).

Old 09-21-2007, 08:28 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,394,243 times
Study some economic geography. Change happens. Everything evolves. Nothing comes to a halt simply because you move into a neighborhood. The trees heard the same song being sung today by suburbanites over all these immigrants moving in back when it was being sung by a bunch of farmers and country boys over all these city-folk moving in. The song will be sung again...

Old 09-21-2007, 09:23 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,332,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Study some economic geography. Change happens. Everything evolves. Nothing comes to a halt simply because you move into a neighborhood. The trees heard the same song being sung today by suburbanites over all these immigrants moving in back when it was being sung by a bunch of farmers and country boys over all these city-folk moving in. The song will be sung again...
True. And occasionally, when the price is right and the neighborhood gets trendy, people move back into the cities. The term "Urban Pioneer" gets used for people of means who move into questionable neighborhoods. There are several neighborhoods in Chicago I could point to, as well as neighborhoods in many other cities, large and small.

Many people don't like raising kids in the city, but that's not universal. Furthermore, people who don't have kids are generally a little more flexible on where they live.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:38 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,312,691 times
We have lots of "flight" of all colors from the urban areas here in South Florida. Everyone keeps moving North from the Miami area, fleeing high home prices, high crime, worsening schools.

Native born Americans were probably the first to leave a long time ago, and now lots of the Latin influx and American black populations are fleeing North, replaced by illegals, Caribbeans, and Haitians. I can't say I blame half of them. If you visit the Florida forums you can see most desire to leave has little to nothing to do with the color of skin of people, but a worsening of the quality of life, crowding, crime, lower paying jobs, crime, home and insurance prices, crime.

I'm an "urban pioneer" myself, but I'm young and unmarried and without children. I wouldn't raise kids where I live now, that's for sure!

Old 09-21-2007, 10:00 AM

50,081 posts, read 63,445,200 times
Thinking people remove themselves from situations where they feel threatened in some way, or their environment is not the way they want it to be. As I sit out here in rural Ohio, I see reports of people who live in violent neighborhoods with poor school systems and I don't get why they just don't move. Even if you're poor and you don't have anything, at least you would be safe and your kids would have a chance. Folks should not be criticized for doing what is best for their families, they should be criticized for not doing it. If my neighbors and I lived on a street infested with crack dealers, we wouldn't be cowering in fear and accepting it, we'd be outside chasing them off and raising hell until things got fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies