Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 08:13 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
So what happens when a gay person converts to straight? Is that "normal"? Is that allowed in the gay community? So, is gayness a choice or not?
They don't. There has been no reliable evidence to show this is even possible. Some people just choose to pretend they are straight- usually for religious reasons.

However I'd like to see any person who claims to have 'converted' from gay to straight, volunteer to be hooked up to a penile plesmograph or the female equivalent and have an fMRI brain scan to prove it. I doubt there would be any takers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 08:15 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
They don't. There has been no reliable evidence to show this is even possible. Some people just choose to pretend they are straight- usually for religious reasons.

However I'd like to see any person who claims to have 'converted' from gay to straight, volunteer to be hooked up to a penile plesmograph or the female equivalent and have an fMRI brain scan to prove it. I doubt there would be any takers.
KINKY

Old 06-03-2012, 08:17 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Though you wouldn't abort a fetus thought to be eventually gay, the op wonders whether an effort might be made to bar others from doing so.

Whether sexual orientation is determined by genetics, hormones, a complex combination of factors, there could Theoretically be a test, exam, machine, Some Way to predict the eventual orientation of a developing fetus. If that Theoretically becomes a Reality, I believe many prospective parents would abort a predicted gay child. Also, we'd see efforts to outlaw the test and restrict abortion based on sexual orientation.
If there were some conclusive way to weed out homosexuality, it would be interesting to see conservatives have to admit that being gay isn't a choice, and then try to reconcile "homosexuality is a sin" with "all fetuses have a right to life". I wonder which one takes precedence--"right to life", or "kill the gays", especially with all the preachers who have been talking about how gay people should die/be left to starve lately.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:19 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post

I personally know someone that this has happened to.

Where's your "science" now?

And, what about Elton John? He was married to a woman before tuning gay. What happened there?
What about Ellen's girlfriend Anne Heche?
And, what about bisexuals in general? They convert from gay to straight whenever they want. How does that work?

Old 06-03-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
KINKY
Well the religious-based groups who make these claims of 'praying-away-the-gay' or so-called 'reparative therapy' have never put their 'converts' to the test to see if they are lying or not.

Why not?

Old 06-03-2012, 08:21 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
If there were some conclusive way to weed out homosexuality, it would be interesting to see conservatives have to admit that being gay isn't a choice, and then try to reconcile "homosexuality is a sin" with "all fetuses have a right to life". I wonder which one takes precedence--"right to life", or "kill the gays", especially with all the preachers who have been talking about how gay people should die/be left to starve lately.
Thats easy...
1. We are all sinners
2. Thou shalt not kill

any questions?

Old 06-03-2012, 08:22 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,075 times
Quote:
So what happens when a gay person converts to straight? Is that "normal"? Is that allowed in the gay community? So, is gayness a choice or not?
You show me a Gay person that "converts" to being straight and I'll find you a straight person who converted to being Gay.

REALLY?

Let's use some basic common sense. Why would anyone choose to be Gay. Like really people...stop with all the complex BS arguments. It's very simple.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I personally know someone that this has happened to.

Where's your "science" now?

And, what about Elton John? He was married to a woman before tuning gay. What happened there?
What about Ellen's girlfriend Anne Heche?
And, what about bisexuals in general? They convert from gay to straight whenever they want. How does that work?
Bisexuals are bisexual. They are not gay or straight but somewhere in between. Anne Heche said she was bisexual.

As for Elton- there are many gays and lesbians who married someone of the opposite sex to fit in with what was expected of them by a predominantly straight society. Doesn't make them straight.

As for the someone you know - go say to them there is a test they can take to prove whether they are really straight... and see them squirm.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:26 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
Great question. The liberals will come en masse with deflective rage posts.
I'm a liberal. My response is that even if there were a single gene that causes homosexuality, I still would not believe that I or my government would have the right to tell women when they should carry a pregnancy to term.

Now explain to me how that is a deflective rage post.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:26 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Thats easy...
1. We are all sinners
2. Thou shalt not kill

any questions?

N.C. Pastor Charles Worley: "Put Gays And Lesbians In Electrified Pen To Kill Them Off" - YouTube

If some people think that gays should be put into concentration camps, how can we be sure those same people wouldn't support aborting fetuses with the "gay gene" in utero?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies