Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 08:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times

Advertisements

Heck..you have to show ID to get a library card these days.
Stop the whining about ID cards.

Exactly what percentage of voters have NO form of acceptable ID to vote ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 08:54 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,910,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
There was even more outrage from one particular party when too many dark skinned people voted. All of a sudden we need to make people jump through hoops to vote including my 91 year old father who defended his country in the South Pacific several decades ago. It`s pretty obvious what this is all about.
So having an ID is jumping through hoops... really?

Old 06-02-2012, 08:59 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,898,527 times
Quote:
My father`s does not need a photo ID to be admitted into a hospital and neither does anyone else. He hasn`t had a drivers license for nearly 25 years and he doesn`t need a photo ID to have his SS check directly deposited into his bank account. BTW,I don`t need a photo ID to have my pension check directly deposited either.
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!!!
Yes he does have to have a photo ID to be ADMITTED into a hospital!
Yes he had to have a photo ID to initially sign up for Social Security!
Yes he had to have a photo ID to originally set up his bank account!
Yes when you originally went to work to earn your pension you needed a photo ID to get signed up with your employer.
Yes as far as your pension check, please see above on bank accounts.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:00 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
So having an ID is jumping through hoops... really?

Only to vote. The requirement for ID for everything else is perfectly acceptable.
ID is required for food stamps, unemployment and a host of other government benefits. Why not voting as well ?

Old 06-02-2012, 09:02 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,068,006 times
Lets not turn this into a thread to dicuss if ID is needed or not, its really to discuss the Democrats being a hyporite by saying you dont need it, but they do..

Old 06-02-2012, 09:04 AM

14,478 posts, read 11,269,779 times
Quote:
Were you concerned about this mythical voter fraud when your party held the White House? I`ll bet you weren`t. End of story.
Our party doesn't engage in it.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:21 AM

11,335 posts, read 16,683,984 times
Quote:
Were you concerned about this mythical voter fraud when your party held the White House? I`ll bet you weren`t. End of story.
Voter fraud is a fact and I don't care which party it comes from including who's in the WH.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,665,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
I am curious, why is requiring a picture ID "jumping through hoops"? I'm sure your 91 year old father had to supply a picture ID to draw Social Security, be admitted into any hospital, open an account at a bank, on and on and on............
You would surely be wrong. As stated a few posts later, you do not need a photo ID to have your SS check direct-deposited into your bank account, which, if you're 91 years old, is probably a very long-standing account.

I was admitted to the hospital in December, and I sure didn't have to submit any photo ID.

Most 91 year olds, as stated above, aren't going around opening bank accounts. Most have had their accounts for 60 years or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Only in an emergency situation would someone be admitted to a hospital without an ID. If one has a record of having paid into SS then they must have had an ID to work in the first place. No excuse for not no having at least a state ID now.
It has only been in the last few years, perhaps 10 or so, that one had to show any kind of ID to work, and that is not with all employers. I only had to show my nurses' license when I was hired by my employer 8 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
yes, well how many other places does he have to have one??
and if you live near him why not be the good kid and get him one!
I went to the hospital last year and sure as hell had to show mine
he had to show one to open that checking account!!
you can not have a checking account with out one
Jeez, Louise, how many times does someone have to say that 91 year old people aren't running around opening bank accounts; that most of them have the same account they opened 60+ years ago?

See above about having to show ID to enter the hospital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I had to take my son to the ER 2 years ago and had to show my ID as proof that I was the same person on the insurance card that I gave them.
That's a hospital-specific policy, not a law. Most hospitals will waive such policies too if the person doesn't have any. What do you mean by "my ID" anyway? Your driver's license, birth certificate, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Heck..you have to show ID to get a library card these days.
Stop the whining about ID cards.

Exactly what percentage of voters have NO form of acceptable ID to vote ?
I once posted that information. I don't remember any more. I think it's around 20%, and it's higher among the elderly and minorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!!!
Yes he does have to have a photo ID to be ADMITTED into a hospital! Not in all cases.
Yes he had to have a photo ID to initially sign up for Social Security! Back when he was 16 or so, they didn't have photo IDs.
Yes he had to have a photo ID to originally set up his bank account! Not 70 years ago!
Yes when you originally went to work to earn your pension you needed a photo ID to get signed up with your employer. Again, not 70 years ago.
Yes as far as your pension check, please see above on bank accounts.Again, not 70 years ago.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:40 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,208,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You would surely be wrong. As stated a few posts later, you do not need a photo ID to have your SS check direct-deposited into your bank account, which, if you're 91 years old, is probably a very long-standing account.

I was admitted to the hospital in December, and I sure didn't have to submit any photo ID.

Most 91 year olds, as stated above, aren't going around opening bank accounts. Most have had their accounts for 60 years or more.

It has only been in the last few years, perhaps 10 or so, that one had to show any kind of ID to work, and that is not with all employers. I only had to show my nurses' license when I was hired by my employer 8 years ago.

Jeez, Louise, how many times does someone have to say that 91 year old people aren't running around opening bank accounts; that most of them have the same account they opened 60+ years ago?

See above about having to show ID to enter the hospital.

That's a hospital-specific policy, not a law. Most hospitals will waive such policies too if the person doesn't have any. What do you mean by "my ID" anyway? Your driver's license, birth certificate, what?

I once posted that information. I don't remember any more. I think it's around 20%, and it's higher among the elderly and minorities.
Needed solid id to set up the bank acct. to set up SS and if he is going to make a cash withdrawl from the acct.
Of course ID is not required each month for direct deposite. He isn't there depositing the money in person. But once again he needed solid ID to set up his accts.
Hospital. Well I have a lot of time in and out of hospitals. For my cancer, and for my autistic daughter. 100% of the time they required ID. They also required my insurance cards. They copy both for the record every time and yes it is annoying.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:41 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,068,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You would surely be wrong. As stated a few posts later, you do not need a photo ID to have your SS check direct-deposited into your bank account,
I stopped here.. How do you open up a bank account without ID?

And you saying that it wasnt required 70 years ago, is meaningless to the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies